Well right now i'm trying to experiment with my amp to try get a nice metal tone, and jsut get better tones in general and although i can get a nice gain, the 'bite' isn't there my amp and guitar just seem to have to much mid sounds - they are too "bright" (even when mids have been scooped) right now i have next to no money (got like £150 to last me till i go back to uni in Oct)

So i was wondering whether amp modelling software is a good way to go, i have 'methods' of getting them.

My intention was to use my computer / laptop to select all the amps etc. and then connect it to my current amp to use as an external speaker. Which i think means i'm using my comp as a kinda pre-amp

What i want to know is if this solution is a good one to my little predicament, if so what things (other than the software) will i need in order to make this thing a reality
Quote by Tcrumpen
So i was wondering whether amp modelling software is a good way to go, i have 'methods' of getting them.

If by 'Methods', you mean illegally downloading, we don't like people who do that. Its against UG rules & such.

Though, to answer your questions. Buy an interface (Check the interface sticky) and use the many already free amp simulators out there on the market (Check the amp sim sticky). Plug one of the outputs of your interface into your amp. If you ever play live, send one output to the house PA and one to your amp for monitoring. I've done it before, it gets the job done.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
You'd be lying if you say you've never illegally downloaded something...

But to answer OP's question, yes, amp modelling can be a much cheaper alternative. I have gone full digital myself. I never play live so amps became unnecessary and pedals became paperweights. There are plenty of free amp sims and DAWs out there to use. I actually sold my amp and pedals and got myself a pair of audio monitors and an interface instead. All the sims I use are free and I can get a sound I like.

The most expensive piece of equipment you need will be the interface. I use a Line 6 POD UX2, nothing fancy and does the job. Make sure you get an interface that has line outs to amps as well.

Also make sure your computer hardware is fairly decent as amp sims (especially if you have several running at the same time) can put more load on the computer than you think.
As said, you will need a decent interface and to make sure your computer can handle the software with ease. Be careful about how you send the signal from your computer to your amp also. You'd want to send it into your effects return, using a line level out from your interface. You'd also want to turn cabinet modeling off, as many amp VSTs load up with a cab simulator already on. As for your "methods" of obtaining them, some of the best amp VSTs are already free. I highly recommend LePous Solo C head. It's great. You can also get free VSTs of a TS808 Tubescreamer and pretty much anything else you can think of
Quote by Tracii Lee
As said, you will need a decent interface and to make sure your computer can handle the software with ease. Be careful about how you send the signal from your computer to your amp also. You'd want to send it into your effects return, using a line level out from your interface. You'd also want to turn cabinet modeling off, as many amp VSTs load up with a cab simulator already on. As for your "methods" of obtaining them, some of the best amp VSTs are already free. I highly recommend LePous Solo C head. It's great. You can also get free VSTs of a TS808 Tubescreamer and pretty much anything else you can think of

This man speaks the truth get yersel a decent interface and check out Lepou, TSE and Ignite amps lots of legally free amp vst's which imo are much better than the commercial stuff.
I am completely new to the whole recording interface thing, so you may have to dumb down the tech bits (for example rather than telling me "Be careful about how you send the signal from your computer to your amp also." it might be better if you explain what you mean as i have no idea what you mean by making sure i'm sending the right signal)

As as for my laptop / computer being able to run it, my laptop has an 1st Gen i7 with Turbo boost and 6gb of DDR3 RAM which should be MORE than enough to handle it, if the is one thing i do know it's computers

And i always thought paid software where the best

Not true. There are some killer free amp sims that are way better than a lot of paid ones.

You'd be lying if you say you've never illegally downloaded something...

No, but just don't talk about it. I don't really understand why people feel the need to talk about it.
Last edited by chaosmoon at Jul 20, 2013,
Quote by chaosmoon

No, but just don't talk about it. I don't really understand why people feel the need to talk about it.

it makes you kewl bra
Last edited by FireHawk at Jul 20, 2013,
"lol im breakin da law breakin da law just like Priest haha but shh keep it hush hush lul XD XD"
For modern metal, try TSE808 (TS9 clone) into Lepou Le456 (ENGL Powerball) capped off with LeCab v1.0. I say 1.0 because the default IRs make it sound good out of the box, with no need to look for good IRs.
Quote by Tcrumpen
I am completely new to the whole recording interface thing, so you may have to dumb down the tech bits (for example rather than telling me "Be careful about how you send the signal from your computer to your amp also." it might be better if you explain what you mean as i have no idea what you mean by making sure i'm sending the right signal)

As as for my laptop / computer being able to run it, my laptop has an 1st Gen i7 with Turbo boost and 6gb of DDR3 RAM which should be MORE than enough to handle it, if the is one thing i do know it's computers

Okay, I will explain further. You would NOT want to send signal from say, the headphone out of your interface into the guitar input of your amp. That could easily overload the guitar amp and would probably sound like garbage and be potentially harmful to said amp. Like you said, you would be using the amp VST as a preamp, and it generally isn't a good idea to run a preamp into a preamp. If you send signal from your interface to your amps effects loop return, you would bypass your guitar amps preamp section and be running directly to the power section of your guitar amp. If I'm not mistaken, most guitar amps take line level signal through their effects loops and not instrument level signal. (Instrument level would be from your guitar, line level would be from a piece of hardware) But this isn't true for all amps. It would help if you told us what kind of amp you have, it might not even HAVE an effects loop and then your plan is pretty much bust.

Your computer sounds ace, just be careful how many different VSTs you start turning on in your DAW. It doesn't take much to overload and then you have latency, which is another problem you might experience depending on your computer and which interface you buy. Do you have firewire capabilities? That might be the better route to go for interfaces, although USB is more than capable.

The setup you're trying to go for isn't a simple one. Lots of parts that can go down and mess up the entire signal.

Just because you have to pay for something doesn't mean it's better. I believe most of the free VSTs are better because they usually come from musicians who are trying to improve other peoples music quality and not trying to profit off of it, if that makes sense.

If I'm still not explaining myself clearly, just say so. I know all of this can be really confusing and I was in your spot myself at one time. Best of luck to you my friend

EDIT: Is it absolutely necessary that you have to send the signal back to your amp? You might have better luck just going right into the computer and then straight out into a PA/speakers. That would simplify the process by a lot. I'm under the assumption that the end goal is for 100% of your signal to be coming out through your amp, so please correct me if I'm mistaken
Last edited by Tracii Lee at Jul 20, 2013,
Lepou is pretty amazing, yes.
I like Guitar Rig 5's 5150, sounds great with a tube screamer in front of it, green channel, and a that one fredman impulse as the cab.
Quote by Tracii Lee
Okay, I will explain further. You would NOT want to send signal from say, the headphone out of your interface into the guitar input of your amp. That could easily overload the guitar amp and would probably sound like garbage and be potentially harmful to said amp. Like you said, you would be using the amp VST as a preamp, and it generally isn't a good idea to run a preamp into a preamp. If you send signal from your interface to your amps effects loop return, you would bypass your guitar amps preamp section and be running directly to the power section of your guitar amp. If I'm not mistaken, most guitar amps take line level signal through their effects loops and not instrument level signal. (Instrument level would be from your guitar, line level would be from a piece of hardware) But this isn't true for all amps. It would help if you told us what kind of amp you have, it might not even HAVE an effects loop and then your plan is pretty much bust.

Your computer sounds ace, just be careful how many different VSTs you start turning on in your DAW. It doesn't take much to overload and then you have latency, which is another problem you might experience depending on your computer and which interface you buy. Do you have firewire capabilities? That might be the better route to go for interfaces, although USB is more than capable.

The setup you're trying to go for isn't a simple one. Lots of parts that can go down and mess up the entire signal.

Just because you have to pay for something doesn't mean it's better. I believe most of the free VSTs are better because they usually come from musicians who are trying to improve other peoples music quality and not trying to profit off of it, if that makes sense.

If I'm still not explaining myself clearly, just say so. I know all of this can be really confusing and I was in your spot myself at one time. Best of luck to you my friend

EDIT: Is it absolutely necessary that you have to send the signal back to your amp? You might have better luck just going right into the computer and then straight out into a PA/speakers. That would simplify the process by a lot. I'm under the assumption that the end goal is for 100% of your signal to be coming out through your amp, so please correct me if I'm mistaken

well i would prefer it it it went through my amp as my amp is a lot newer than the speakers i use: which are about 4 years old and a 2.1 sound system that cost about £40 when new

These are the speakers i use while i'm at uni:

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Labtec_Pulse_485_2_1_Speaker_System/970127-0403/p/429362
Last edited by Tcrumpen at Jul 21, 2013,
can't go wrong with the freewares out there. however, i got guitar rig 5 w/ the rammfire add-on and i find it quite nice. got it for $85 on ebay.
Why bump? What exactly do you still need to know?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Why bump? What exactly do you still need to know?

whether the speakers i use - linked, would be sufficient enough to handle to sound coming out of the amp modelling software
Yeah, it's not like it's a bass guitar. It'll be fine.

Though saying that, you normally have to take the output directly from the interface... so if you can't plug them into that then you're probably gonna be SOL.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!