Hi all....I have a Samick Greg Bennett designed les paul copy with passive pickups.I replaced the stock pickups on the guitar with a Dimarzio Evolution Neck as the neck pickup and a Dimarzio PAF Pro for the bridge pickup a while back.I used to play with a Zoom G1 processor for quite some time and I had no problems using the new pickup configuration.I must mention that I used to run my Zoom on batteries.Recently I purchased a Boss GT 10.The problem I am facing now is an awful harsh noise when I change to the bridge pickup.The neck pickup seems to work fine.The noise exists even when I do not touch the strings.I have tried using a noise gate.The noise gate is able to remove the noise which comes when I dont play anything.However the noise returns when I start playing.The problem exists on both high gain and clean tones.I am not sure what the problem is.I understand that the problem may be that the pickup is not grounded but if that is the case why was it working fine with the Zoom.I know its a grounding issue but I dont know what I need to ground?....Thanks for any help.
Process of elimination. Can you use your guitar on any other setup? See if it still does it now with other gear?

Use a different guitar with your GT. Does it do it with that one?

And are you sure you don't have your PAF & Evo mixed up?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I tried elimination.I connected my guitar directly into the amp and I got no noise at all.Then I tried using the GT with a squier strat and I had the same problem.The pickups in the strat are stock.
So far what I have figured out is that there may be a problem with the power adapter which was provided along with the GT.The power adapter has no ground pin and I think that may be causing the problem.

Also I did not understand what you meant by I got the pickups mixed up...I have the Evo neck as my neck pickup and the PAF as the bridge...it was an experiment and it was working fine till I got the GT.

Thank you for your help....
There is a screw on the back of the GT10, near the power on/off button. There is a ground symbol near it or something. I have a wire(household wiring wire) that i have tightened with the screw & the other end is connected to the ground of the three pin plug. That helped take away some low buzz I used to get on mine. You could give it a try.

Make sure the amp & gt are plugged on the same outlet, as in get an extension board to plug them into. Having them on different outlets can give rise to noise depending on the house wiring. Since the previous zoom was run on battery, it didn't matter, this time though it can create issues with the GT.
It's just an extremely unusual setup, that's all. Nobody puts PAFs in the bridge with something hotter in the neck. It's just a weird combo.

Alright, what is your signal chain in the GT?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
@Offworld92... oh yes I know its a really wierd combo...as I said it was an experiment and it did not sound that bad or anything so I kind of stuck with it....

I am going directly into the GT and that is connected to a Mustang...

I am getting this noise whenever I switch to the PAF no matter what setting I use on the GT...Even on clean tones I have this irritating hum and adding distortions just makes it terrible....the Evo works absolutely fine both for clean and dirty settings which is what confuses me.....I hope its not a pickup grounding problem?
@steven...Thanks I will try that then....I am connecting the amp and the GT to the same outlet so thats not the problem.

what kind of noise did you get from the GT?...I am getting a background hum which I remove with the inbuilt noise gates in the GT...but whenever I touch the strings I get this noise again...did you have any issues with the power adapter with the GT?....Can that be a problem?

thanks again for your help.
Quote by anrin
I am getting this noise whenever I switch to the PAF no matter what setting I use on the GT...Even on clean tones I have this irritating hum and adding distortions just makes it terrible....the Evo works absolutely fine both for clean and dirty settings which is what confuses me.....I hope its not a pickup grounding problem?

Now this is interesting. This can be a couple of things.
1. Solder connections for the Paf Pro were cold, over time have come loose/gone bad.
2. The pickup has started to go microphonic, can happen but I doubt it, still a possibility though.
3. Time to change the toggle switch.
4. The wires in the cavity that contain the switch & pot connections need to be held together & not loose, that can cause buzz/hum to be present too.

It's definitely a grounding issue but hard to pinpoint. If the grounding method I told you fixes it then it's an easy fix, still it's weird cause both pickups should be doing it, instead of just the bridge. Since you have upgraded the pickups on the Samick, the next step in mods for it would be new fresh & neat wiring with some quality hardware like new jack/pots/switch/wires. The Squier contained stock single coils? Those are going to hum but your humbuckers should not. Atleast the Evo doesn't, so it tells me it's rather guitar related development.

But before that try using the gt10 alone with headphones only to check if the noise appears & double check the cables individually which you are using for connecting the guitar to the gt & gt to the amp.

I was getting a ground noise with mine, like single coil hum or rather a ground buzz sound since my house wiring was poor. Grounding the GT got rid of it. To isolate the outlet for faults as well, remove all plugged devices from all the outlets in the house. Sometimes plugging another device into an outlet somewhere else in the house can cause such odd noises, if the house wiring is old or done by a noob electrician. Try grounding the GT first though.
Last edited by steven_ferns84 at Jul 21, 2013,
I agree with steven_ferns84. Only one of your pickups causes the problem, so it's definitely a wiring problem with that pickup.

I'd resolder all of the connections for that pickup. Make sure your two extra wires are soldered together and taped off, if it's a 4 conductor pickup and you're not wiring it for extra combinations.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ok so i tried out the the grounding method steven_fern84 and it has solved the problem completely....still I will get the PAF resoldered and checked...I soldered the pickups myself last time so maybe I have screwed up there...:P.....Anyway thanks for your help...