Hey all,

It's been a minute since I've posted much here lately, but decided to post one of these! - Picked up this addition to my pedal collection the other day, and have been busy with it...time for another "comic-book" style presentation...

A mysterious black box! But what's inside?

Ooo! Mail-in stuff and instructions! But what lies underneath?

Bam! The much loved MXR 10-band EQ!

Yup. Finally picked up an EQ pedal for my rig - Unfortunately, I do not have sound clips (or the recording skills to make any that would do this pedal justice) to show what it can do, but I might possibly have a few later on, when I begin recording for a current solo project/future band of sorts I'm working on.

For now, I can give a solid review of it w/the pics. In short, I can't believe I've gone so long without owning an EQ in my rig, but I'll share my thoughts in greater detail, via build quality, sound/tone, and overall value for the $..

Build quality - MXR seems to be well regarded when it comes to build quality in mass produced pedals, and this one is no exception. Right out the box, it's got a fair bit of mass to it, thanks to it's tough metal housing. The on/off switch is also sturdy and made to withstand use - No flimsy operation here. Even the sliders themselves seem to be fairly heavy duty - a critical component of an EQ pedal. All in all, there are no disappointments here.

Sound/tone - I was once told that you don't know what you're missing out on until you try an EQ pedal out, and that couldn't be further from the truth. I primarily bought it to use for more tone-shaping than the on-board EQ offers on my ENGL Fireball. Not to mention, as killer as the Fireball sounds, it's definitely lacking in the midrange department on it's own, and needs some help to cut through in a band situation - This thing works like a charm for what I needed! My tone now has lots of raw, meaty mids, and showed me just how scooped the amp naturally is without an EQ in the loop.

Aside from what I use it for, it's quite a versatile pedal, honestly. Aside from offering more tone shaping with it's EQ section, it also has volume and gain boosts - You could leave your tone as is, and simply use it as a volume boost if needed. Whether you need to boost or scoop the mids, shave off some low or high end, brighten up our tone, a solo boost, whatever, this is a great pedal to have.

The one flaw I've found though, is that when boosting certain frequencies enough, it can add some additional noise/feedback in high gain situations - Nothing a good noise gate can't fix, but something to be aware of.

Overall - Overall, this pedal is well made, priced right, and a great addition to any rig. It's useful in plenty of ways, and once you get your hands on one, you'll be surprised at how much you won't want to go back to your old tone without it!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
what the heck is a dial-up user?

Nice addition to any pedal board.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
what the heck is a dial-up user?

Nice addition to any pedal board.
Goodness, I now officially feel old! - Be grateful you didn't experience the dark days of the internet, when everything was slow. A select few still use such ancient technology, hence the warning in the thread title.

Either way, thanks. And it's time I actually get a board for my pedals, now that they're adding up...more GAS on the horizon!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
nice

and you feel old? I remember when dial up was the greatest thing since sliced bread, considering the previous option (i.e. no internet) was vastly inferior
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I remember using dial up and bbs. I just didn't think anybody still had dial up.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1