uni courses in music you wish you would have taken, or regret taking during your studies in a music faculty

im starting a jazz performance degree this year, so im planning to take almost all the jazz courses except the history ones (improvisation, combos, harmony, arranging, composition, aural skills and ear training etc). i would have to take also some mandatory musicology related courses and of course the guitar lessons

with all those courses i still have some credits necessary to complete the degree, and im not sure about which optional courses i should choose... i can choose to take beginner classical piano courses (i can only play guitar), courses in music technology, classical theory harmony and ear training, or even languages.

i think learning a secondary instrument would be beneficial to me, but im also interested in all that music tech stuff (recording, learning DAW, editing in Finale, etc). i cant really take both because a lot of the interesting music tech courses require 1 or 2 prerequisite credits so ill be running out of credits

do you think learning a secondary instrument, like piano, is important enough in a musicians career and i should learn about the music tech tools on my own?
Last edited by SuperKid at Jul 20, 2013,
You get the option to take the history courses? I'm starting this year, and at least for my first year, I have to take Jazz History and History of Popular Music.
Quote by Soccerguy
You get the option to take the history courses? I'm starting this year, and at least for my first year, I have to take Jazz History and History of Popular Music.

My bad, i didn't specify. From all the jazz courses, I wont take the jazz history courses, i registered to general history of music I and II which doesn't really deal with popular and jazz music
Personally, I think that learning a second instrument can be quite beneficial. I took several years of guitar lessons and have been taking classical piano lessons for the past 2 and a half years. If you have the chance to take classical piano and you have the time to commit to practicing, I'd say go for it.
Music Tech

Most school have a piano proficiency exam though
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
You can learn alot of the technology-related things on your own. You won't be a professional level producer or engineer, but you'll be able to work your way around a studio without much of a problem. There's tutorials online, guides, and plenty to get you started.
I wish my school had music tech courses. I've taken computer music courses, but they weren't really focused on the actually technology. I also wish I took advanced counterpoint when I had the opportunity last year.

I don't really regret taking any courses, even if I hated some of them.

As for your question, I find it hard to believe that a) You don't have to take jazz history and b) you don't have to take some kind of piano rudiments class. But anyway, it's really what you think will be more beneficial to you. You can really learn both on your own, so it's not really relevant in the long run. In the short term, one benefit of a music tech class (if you're into it) is that you get access to what is usually a pretty sweet studio loaded with sick hardware and software that you probably wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.
Secondary instruments can be a lot of fun. I do highly recommend you learn piano because it is a lot easier to 'see' theory when you play, thus making you into a better theorist. Also, make sure you take some aural skills courses because, of course, the most important aspect to a musician is his ear.
TS have you checked your course map? I can't believe you aren't required to take Jazz History.
Thanks for the replies guys
Quote by GoldenGuitar
TS have you checked your course map? I can't believe you aren't required to take Jazz History.

I have to choose a minimum of 6 credits from the History section of the course map which contains 17 different history courses (4 of them are jazz related but I can take any other course). Im not interested in jazz history, I already learned quite a bit on my own as a hobby