Hi guys,
I'm thinking of retubing my bogner alchemist combo, power a pre amp tubes, I want maybe a bit more of gain and mid range but don't want to lose the "darkness" and also don't want a compressed distortion. Any opinion? I already saw the JJ and tung-sol tubes and they seem fine

Thanks
JJ is your best bet if you want dark.

Also, distortion=compression. No way around it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Tubes aren't going to change the characteristics of your amp. Differences are very minor, and way too far from consistent enough to be boiled down to a science.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Id get one Tung Sol 12AX7 and a JAN Phillips 5751 to experiment with and then the rest JJs. They really decent well made tubes for the price. Everything else may be a bit suspect unless it is NOS. There are some decent Shuguang, Sovtek, Grove Tubes and Rubys out there but to keep it simple just go with what I said.
I had mine for a year and the power tubes were really starting to become microphonic and whistle alot, so I replaced them with some Groove Tubes 6L6s I got 20 years ago, but never used - just sitting in my basement in a box all that time. I also put 2 Sovtek NOS 12AX7s into V1 and V2 and it's really perked up this amp. I really like it for a smaller rig.
I agree JJ ecc83 are good and the JAN-GE/Phillips 5751 are good also.

The New Mullard 12ax7 are actually a really good tube that are worth having around
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate