So a while ago, I made a new pickguard with 3 seymour duncan pups in it. It's got hot rails in the neck and bridge, and a jb jr in the mid position. I think I used 500k pots and I cannot remember what kind of cap and wire I used. It's a strat style wiring so 5 way switch, 1 volume, and 2 tones. I'm thinking of rewiring everything and using new pots but I never knew how to decide what kind to get. I just want it to sound as nice as possible, so any recommendations are appreciated! To sum it all up, what gauge wire, what cap, and what pots would be best?

Thanks!
CTS and Bourns are great pots. As for caps, any type will work. Ceramic, poly film, etc... Most people will tell you that "mojo" types like paper or orange drops are better. In a guitar tone control, this isn't the case because the main signal does not even go through the cap so no need to waste money on audiophile parts.

As for wire, you can use just about anything. 18-24awg works. 22awg is ideal.
Quote by Invader Jim
CTS and Bourns are great pots. As for caps, any type will work. Ceramic, poly film, etc... Most people will tell you that "mojo" types like paper or orange drops are better. In a guitar tone control, this isn't the case because the main signal does not even go through the cap so no need to waste money on audiophile parts.

As for wire, you can use just about anything. 18-24awg works. 22awg is ideal.

much appreciated
another thing you must consider is the type of pot you use. many people prefer to use audio(log) pots for the volume knob and linear pots for the tone controls. audio pots can be identified as kA, while linear pots are kL. its easy to buy the wrong ones. you can do both linear or both audio, but audio-volume and linear-tone is the common combo. dont know much of cts and bourns, but Ive used alpha and theyve been quite reliable and affordable.

for the tone cap, you can use anything so long as it isnt electrolytic.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
I wouldn't use linear tapered pots for tone; I did and there was hardly any usable sweep on the knob - after 3, no change, already maxed out on the treble. Thought it was a bad pot, changed it out for another linear tapered one - same problem occured. After switching to audio taper, the entire sweep of the knob was usable.