I'm looking for a new amp, but I'm not sure what I want to get. Right now I have a Fender Frontman 15G, but it isn't the greatest. My budget is about $100-$250. The types of music I would be playing on it would mostly '80s rock, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, etc. I'm looking for a practice amp, which is what I'll probably get on my budget. I don't care whether it is used, as long as it is in good condition. I live in northwest Indiana, within reasonable distance of a Guitar Center. I currently have a Squire Telecaster, but I plan on upgrading to a Les Paul or possibly HH or HSS Strat.
Last edited by maddog61 at Jul 20, 2013,
^ +1

also, how much will you be spending on the les paul or strat? if it's a lot, it might make more sense to split the budget more evenly between the guitar and amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They have a used Peavey Ultra 1x12 combo for $219 a www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear it is a great amp and you can gig it or jam easy with it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 21, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

also, how much will you be spending on the les paul or strat? if it's a lot, it might make more sense to split the budget more evenly between the guitar and amp.

I plan on spending around $400-$500, but I have separated my funds to accommodate for that.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

+311

I assume that with that budget, you'll be a bedroom rocker. If so, I'd get a Line 6 POD if you're intent on getting another guitar.

Personally, I'd use all the funds for a decent amp and for that much ish, you can score a JCM2000 DSL50 and a 212.
Used Marshall DSL, TSL, JCM800, JCM900 or some used Jet City or even Laney if you can find one for the money and before getting another guitar you could look into some rails-pickups for your Tele used (Duncan Hotrails, Little 59, Dimarzio Chopper, Fast Track 2, etc.).
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by maddog61
I plan on spending around $400-$500, but I have separated my funds to accommodate for that.

ah ok. yeah it's probably not worth taking anything away from your guitar budget then (IMO). the peavey robbgnarly mentioned might be the thing- i haven't tried it but from what i hear it's the forerunner of the xxx. assuming you don't always have to play at whisper volume.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Would it be a better plan to install a mini-humbucker or whatever they're called in my Telecaster and then use everything else to get an amp?
Last edited by maddog61 at Jul 21, 2013,
Quote by maddog61
Would it be a better plan to install a mini-humbucker or whatever they're called in my Telecaster and then use everything else to get an amp?

If you're talking about a single coil sized hamburger, I would say no but others may disagree. I think they sound like crap. Get a hamburger equipped guitar if you want the hamburger sound.
Pick out the ultra plus from gc's used site.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by patriotplayer90
If you're talking about a single coil sized hamburger, I would say no but others may disagree. I think they sound like crap. Get a hamburger equipped guitar if you want the hamburger sound.

lol hamburger
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by maddog61
Would a Marshall MG15CFX do the job well?

No, those are horrible amps. Use the link I posted and search peavey ultra. There is one for $219 and it is a really good amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah the mgs are mediocre at best. and that's being charitable.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
No, those are horrible amps. Use the link I posted and search peavey ultra. There is one for $219 and it is a really good amp.

Ask a lot of questions about the amp from the store that it is at. Sometimes they leave something out. I have had some issues with them, but for the most part people are happy. Just remember you are buying a used item unseen, so sometimes the cheapest may not be the best. And sometimes the rating system is a little too subjective.

I can say that I would order from them again. shit happens.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Ask a lot of questions about the amp from the store that it is at. Sometimes they leave something out. I have had some issues with them, but for the most part people are happy. Just remember you are buying a used item unseen, so sometimes the cheapest may not be the best. And sometimes the rating system is a little too subjective.

I can say that I would order from them again. shit happens.

The one good thing with GC used is 30 day return policy if something is wrong with the amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I may get some flak for this but...how about a Vox Vt? They're really cheap, even new, but they sound pretty good and have a lot of different tones. It's a modeling amp, which is an upgrade from a starter pack amp IMO, so you can screw around with different tones and fx and get an idea of how they work for you.
And you'll have like $400 left over (if you go used), $300 for a decent used lp copy (agile?), $100 towards your next amp (which you'll probably gas and be a lil more specific)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Robbgnarly
The one good thing with GC used is 30 day return policy if something is wrong with the amp

i agree with the exchange but you lose out on the shipping and handling. i am out ~$30 from two bad poorly described guitars, third one was good but it needed a new input jack on the guitar as well. i asked the guy questions for a half hour i swear and i got screwed. i talked to the district and regional managers. they didn't fix anything.

i still walked away with a good deal, but it was a huge hassle.

most seem to not have problems. i did. that's all i am saying.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!