Poll Options
View poll results: Is it dickish
cool brah
18 17%
not cool bro
86 83%
Voters: 104.
Page 1 of 2
Long story short: party tonight. BYOB. Is it dickish if I show up with one of my mates and we don't bring anything? Like what if we only drink a little, or hell, maybe they're totes cool with it?
pinga
totes inapropes, bro.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
bring your own beer, i.e. you drink your own beer

if you aren't drinking your own beer, you're breaking the only rule that has been established prior to arrival
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Bring as much booze as you'd drink. If you don't plan to drink at all don't bring anything.
totes inapropes, bro.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
toes inapropes, bro.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
if it's just 1 drink it's alright. you can drink as much as you want if you reimburse the owners. depends on how nice they are though
cat
Quote by TunerAddict
bring your own beer, i.e. you drink your own beer

if you aren't drinking your own beer, you're breaking the only rule that has been established prior to arrival

^ This

If you go to a BYOB party and don't BYOB, you don't drink. It's not hard.
whatever we made like a pair of tits and bounced

so anyway im listening to any colour you like by pink Floyd and its so groovy I love this shit
pinga
Brahs are for ladies brah.

IMO the concept of BYOB is dickish. Never encountered it over here in the UK, it's not like we expect the host to provide all the beverages, but I think it's dickish to establish a tradition that says 'Well if you don't bring your own booze you aren't drinking, might aswell not turn up, go on **** off.'

Naturally, if you notice someone suspiciously never brings any drink to social functions, then they're the dick. Otherwise hold them to their honour that they'll return the favour next time.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Gtfafmp, Ts
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
as long as you don't ask around for some drinks you'll be all good
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by EqualOfHeaven
Brahs are for ladies brah.

IMO the concept of BYOB is dickish. Never encountered it over here in the UK, it's not like we expect the host to provide all the beverages, but I think it's dickish to establish a tradition that says 'Well if you don't bring your own booze you aren't drinking, might aswell not turn up, go on **** off.'

Naturally, if you notice someone suspiciously never brings any drink to social functions, then they're the dick. Otherwise hold them to their honour that they'll return the favour next time.

It's really not dissimilar to going to the bar without cash.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I always thought that just meant don't expect them to have any drinks.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia
I always thought that just meant don't expect them to have any drinks.

what kind of party doesn't have drinks?

that's like someone offering you a ride and being like "yeah this car doesn't have seats for passengers, BYOS"
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid

A party that asks you to bring your own bottle.

I don't know, I'm no party guy. I just thought it was like a fair warning for people to bring their own bottle so not to be surprised they had none when they got there.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jul 21, 2013,
Quote by Skynyrd890
It's really not dissimilar to going to the bar without cash.

I've had friends who've done that, and I've bought them drinks, enough in a few cases to get them seriously hammered. And visa versa, it's all about the honour system.

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Quote by EqualOfHeaven
I've had friends who've done that, and I've bought them drinks, enough in a few cases to get them seriously hammered. And visa versa, it's all about the honour system.

I mean intentionally going, just to bum off people.

If you forget your wallet and you're a good friend, I'll buy your drinks. I've done it and had it done in return. But if you're just some random dude that shows up to a BYOB party without liquor, you stay away from mine.

EDIT - I say "forgot your wallet", but that's a lot less likely than "I forgot my cash/don't have money now". If they forgot their wallet, they probably wouldn't be allowed to drink lol. Just clarifying that.
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Jul 21, 2013,
Quote by Skynyrd890
I mean intentionally going, just to bum off people.

I've never encountered anyone who's turned up for any kind of alchohol based social occasion empty handed just to piss everyone off. There's a good chance they might actually value the company of you and your guests, and that they wish to be included in your occassion despite their lack of duckets. I do not begrudge them their lack of finance, I'd rather get them pissed and see what happens.

Like I said, if you notice a pattern, then you can declare a state of dickitude.

Amongst my mates we call that a "six pack cunt." Dicks that show up to a party with just a six pack and say they only wanted to drink six. Its always nice to leave the house with a bit of booze because thy have to clean up all your shit the next day.
Last edited by Rebel Scum at Jul 21, 2013,
Quote by EqualOfHeaven
I've never encountered anyone who's turned up for any kind of alchohol based social occasion empty handed just to piss everyone off. There's a good chance they might actually value the company of you and your guests, and that they wish to be included in your occassion despite their lack of duckets. I do not begrudge them their lack of finance, I'd rather get them pissed and see what happens.

Like I said, if you notice a pattern, then you can declare a state of dickitude.

When they all look like Scumbag Steve, or are walking around just asking for a shot or a beer, I know exactly what they're doing. If they're just hanging out, and not trying to bum, then they're actually very likely to be offered drinks. You generally know who's doing what.
Every party I've ever been to, it was just expected that you bring your own drinks. I mean, who the hell wants to pay for all that booze plus have to deal with drunks?
Quote by CodeMonk
If they say BYOB, you BYOB.
Otherwise you are a fucking leech

^

That.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by EqualOfHeaven

It's not 'just' to piss people off. It's more likely (especially if you have a very large network of friends) that there will be one or two people invited (whether it's BYOB or not) who are just going to walk around asking for a shot, a brew, or a hit of some weed.

An example being one time I hosted a party (was not, btw, BYOB officially. We had two drums of Jungle Juice and about 6 twenty-four-cases of beer provided from the get-go), and at one point in the night, there's four separate guys wondering around, who one of my three roommates knew vaguely, asking for free hits and shots (this was after the provided alcohol was gone).

This is the situation you're trying to avoid by asking for a BYOB, especially if you live on a campus and you get the oh so loved 'wander-ins' who just hop party to party trying to jack free beers.

I understand what you're trying to say here. In my friend group we try to keep it pretty civil, where if I'm short on cash and you have a lot of it, then you'll spot me drinks, probably get me hammered, and this creates a silent pact where I'm definitely getting you hammered another night down the road (and the debts, if one were to keep score, especially to $$$ amount, probably are not at all even, but it's fair if it's friends), but it sounds like OP is trying to go to some party where he hardly knows the owner (maybe his friend does, but even that's sketchy if it wasn't pre-planned), it's BYOB, and he wants to get drunk off of people that didn't have such a pact of friendship mentioned above already established with OP. That is not ok. As I said earlier, the only person in that situation that has any sort of right to non-friend's beer is the host.
It's fine if you don't drink, but if you start going around looking for free drinks then you're a ****** TS. Nobody likes a ******.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
^ This

If you go to a BYOB party and don't BYOB, you don't drink. It's not hard.

/discussion

Seriously, it's that simple.
Quote by Cb4rabid

that's like someone offering you a ride and being like "yeah this car doesn't have seats for passengers, BYOS"

Unless it's a Christmas party or a wedding or something that would be... pretty much every party I've ever been to. You bring your drink, you drink your drink.

If you don't bring your own, I don't know what you expect to be drinking. When we bring drink to parties we don't put it in some communal area and feel ok that we've contributed then treat that area like a bar... we drink what we brought.

It's pretty much the standard here. I've never been to a party that's needed to specify BYOB, it's just how it works.
I don't see what's wrong with it.

It'd be different if they were going to try and scab drinks off people, but if you go there dry and someone offers your a drink, I see no problem.....Done it plenty of times myself
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Bring as much as you intend to drink.

Most parties or gatherings i go to are BYOB, but it's not explicitly outlined, just expected that you do it, although i do know a guy who would buy a crate or two of beer if he's having people over, but he asks that they bring any additional alcohol they want, because a 24 pack wouldn't really go very far amongst 8 people or more.

I find it really annoying, and dickish when i show up to a party with maybe 8 beers, and then about two hours later, some people stroll in, see it sitting there, and take some without asking. People shouldn't have to feel like they have to hide their drinks because someone doesn't want to pay for themselves.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by mjones1992
The only person that should be able to get away with that is the host(s).

Yep! You could maybe get away a little bit with it, but if you know its BYOB already, then its inapropes, lol.
Vitne
http://
Jesus you guys, I didn't even go, leave me alone

also I knew the host. I actually hadn't seen her in a long time and wanted to say hi and catch up. I just wanted to drink too but I don't have a way to get beer or anything cause i'm underage (19 US)
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at Jul 21, 2013,
Quote by Cb4rabid
Jesus you guys, I didn't even go, leave me alone

also I knew the host. I actually hadn't seen her in a long time and wanted to say hi and catch up. I just wanted to drink too but I don't have a way to get beer or anything cause i'm underage (19 US)

Re-reading the OP, I should mention there's nothing wrong with going to a party and not drinking. It just sounded like you meant you were going to go to a party planning just to sponge a couple off other people, which isn't cool.
Page 1 of 2