I was listening to some old Firewind (Between Heaven And Hell album) and, being the first time listening to this album, I was... surprised by the tone Gus G was using on this album. Not that it's bad, not at all. I wonder how I could recreate a similar tone to what he had on that album. Here is a song from the album to give you an idea of his tone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dmAN8FtURU

However, I did a little research, and I found out that in the early Firewind days, he used Marshall and Krank amplifiers. That's about what I found on his gear at the time. What I'd like to know is how I could recreate a similar tone. It's not the kind of tone people would normally try to sound like, but I really like it.

Cheers!
Ayy there
To me, that sounds typical of the tone neoclassical shredders were using in the 1980s & 90s. Look up rigs for guys like YJM, Chris Impellitteri, David Chastain and the like and you should be on the right track.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 21, 2013,
That's a pretty old school tone. I would say a JCM800 2203 or JCM 900.

For guitar, a super stat with either stacked single coils (think Duncan Classic Stack or Dimarzio HS2 or HS3), something like a Dimarzio PAF PRO or Duncan JB.

Lots of mids. Treble about half way. bass about 1 or 2 o'clock. Gain probably would be around 2 or 3 o'clock.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.