Hi everyone, I got a few problems I hope you guys can help me out with.

I own an Epiphone G400.

First, the neck pickup has stopped working. The volume/output is substantially lower, to the point where the pickup is unusable.

I opened up the back to see if there were any broken wires or soldering that had come undone and couldn't find anyone out of the ordinary (I just looked, didn't mess with anything!).

Second, I am getting very bad static when I plug my guitar into the amp. It is made even worse when I place my fingers on any string. If I unplug the cable from the amp, the static stops.

What do you think is causing the pickup failure and static, and is there anyway I can troubleshoot the problems without taking the guitar to my local music store.
Last edited by johnyere at Jul 21, 2013,
The pick up itself is probably fine. Clean or replace the pick up toggle. Cleaning might work; use a commercial aerosol electrical contact cleaner. Good stuff to have around. Spray some in from the back on the contacts and toggle it back and forth. If not, replace with a quality toggle switch.

The static is probably caused by some bad grounding. Your cable is a likely suspect and easy to test. Try a new cable that you know is good. If that doesn't work, try resoldering and/or replacing the input jack.
Most likely have a dodgy switch.

If you're unsure what you're doing, take it in to a tech to fix.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
You said that already.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"