Hey man. I enjoyed this song, I havnt heard any of your folky stuff but for your first rock song its pretty rocking I didnt like the tone of the guitars too much, bit tinny. Though i liked all the rhythm changed through out the song and the ending was quite powerful. OVerall though i enjoyed it!
Hi, quite enjoyed it. Good main riff and vocs. Quite liked the recorded drum sound, are they live ? If not how did you do them ? Some of the progressive parts were a little lost on me, ie, at around 1:10 and again I think it looses it a bit at around 2:20, however, the buildup (starting at 2:44) back to the end works really well.
Quote by john.hoos.3
Hi, quite enjoyed it. Good main riff and vocs. Quite liked the recorded drum sound, are they live ? If not how did you do them ? Some of the progressive parts were a little lost on me, ie, at around 1:10 and again I think it looses it a bit at around 2:20, however, the buildup (starting at 2:44) back to the end works really well.

Thanks so much for your input!

The drums as well as everything else were played live by me and they were pretty simple to record. My drum mics for the beater side are just the cad 4 piece drum mic kit that you get from guitarcenter for like 100 I think. Then on the resonate head of the snare I use an sm 58 and then I stick a samson C01 over the center of the kit from behind my back as the over head. All of these are run through a Tascam US-1800 and then into garageband where I did a basic EQ on the kick, top and bottom snare, and overhead. Then I cut the levels on the kit except the overhead to give everything that rawer sound.
Last edited by lynusofriversid at Jul 22, 2013,
Quote by ToastedAndButte
Hey man. I enjoyed this song, I havnt heard any of your folky stuff but for your first rock song its pretty rocking I didnt like the tone of the guitars too much, bit tinny. Though i liked all the rhythm changed through out the song and the ending was quite powerful. OVerall though i enjoyed it!

Hmm I didn't notice the guitars but I'll check my EQ's later maybe I slipped or something, thanks for your help.

so now on to your track

First impression
I'm digging the lead guitar on the intro that was very well done.
the female vocals seem like they arnt being projected enough so they come off really thin. The male vocals in contrast then seem to sound too high.

now with the audiophile side of things out of the way the song itself is good, I think the melody is very relaxing and it has a strong indie moldy peaches kinda vibe to it. All in all I think it's a pretty good track, the only real things I would change are mixing and mastering changes the song structure itself seems pretty tight.
Good work!
lynus,
Main rhythm guitar sounds late 70's to me: fine by me. Electric bass reminds me of Nirvana: fine by me. Verse vocals are pretty unique (good), glad you have more grit on the vocals during the chorus & bridge?: vocals good overall, especially the grittier vocals. Nice song, I like it. Please review my music at this link (if you review my music in your thread I might miss it):

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1609249
Went ahead and gave for infinity a listen, and it seems to very 80's esq to me. The vocals are not really my taste but they do fit the style. I personally would like the main synth riff to be done on guitar I think it would really liven up the track. The vocals also don't seem to really be sitting in the mix comfortably they seem more like they are under the mix. Maybe try boosting the eq around the 2k area to give them a little more sparkle and let em sit up top a little more.

Just my $.02
I like it, very 70's, almost QOTSA-esque in some parts and you've got some ****ing awesome riffage there mate. Production is great, everything is clear enough, the vocals are great, especially that bit of grit in your voice which is really cool. The only point of critique I can say is that perhaps you should consider doubling up your guitar track to give it a little more 'oomph', although this is my personal view, it does sound a little on the 'tinny' side.

Crit mine here? - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1610359
Quote by Gu1T@r_H3r0
I like it, very 70's, almost QOTSA-esque in some parts and you've got some ****ing awesome riffage there mate. Production is great, everything is clear enough, the vocals are great, especially that bit of grit in your voice which is really cool. The only point of critique I can say is that perhaps you should consider doubling up your guitar track to give it a little more 'oomph', although this is my personal view, it does sound a little on the 'tinny' side.

Crit mine here? - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1610359

Thanks a lot!

So I gave your EP a listen and overall the mixing is I wanna say 90% there. I think the bass needs to come up a little, and if you mic'd the bottom of the snare drum (hopefully you did) I think that should probably come up a little to, right now the snare is more of a thud than a snap although if thats the sound you were looking for then you're good there. The Vocals to me seem a bit too loud but that again is more of a preference thing since I like to kind of burry mine a little to give it more of a live feel. All in all the songs were good, the vocalist isn't exactly my favorite but he does do the job. I did really enjoy the guitar tones though, very meaty and powerful. Isn't it just amazing what can be done in a bedroom nowadays!

Hope this helps