Allow me to introduce myself. You may call me by my username or my real name, Ian. I'm 22 and have played guitar for 10 years.

The current problem I am facing is that through financial troubles a few years ago, my
rig shrunk down to next to nothing. I'm currently in the midst of fixing that. I just bought myself a solidstate Fender Princeton Chorus and am working on getting a decent guitar again. (I have my eye on a Jazzmaster, in particular).

Currently, all I have is my very first guitar, a Johnson stratocaster copy. I have an intense love-hate relationship with this instrument. It sounds decent, but the feel of the neck and fretboard are absolutely dreadful.

Ah, but to the point now. I am in a situation where I am nowhere near a sizeable guitar shop and will not be able to get to one in the forseeable future. I'm trying to select a good tube amp to save for. I know the drill, that I should be trying them out myself. It really doesn't seem feasible to me, however, so I've been listening to sound clips and trying to research as much as I can. I would appreciate if someone could give me some clues as to the right direction in which to look.

Budget: $900. I can go a little higher if need be.

Preferred Sounds: Some of my favorite guitarists' tones include Jay Mascis (both his jangly clean sounds and the fuzzy wall of noise), John Frusciante, Cream-era Clapton, Hetfield's rhythm tone a la Kill Em All, among others.

Other preferences: I'm looking for a combo. Honestly I'm just remaining open to suggestions. Maybe I'll be steered in a direction I didn't expect.
In your price range, you should be able to find a good tube combo amp from Fender, Carvin, Vox or Peavey that should make you happy.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Any particular models to check out? I've listened to a bunch of Fenders and all I really know about from Vox are their AC30 and AC15 models.
Where are you located? that will make a huge difference in prices.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, I own a Fender HRD- 40w, 1x12- and I love it. Some of the cleanest cleans out there.

The Vox AC 15 & AC 30, Carvin NOMAD (50w 1x12) and Carvin BELAIR (50w 2x12) are also worth checking out.

I remember trying out a 30w Peavey I liked, but it was a while ago, so I don't remember what model it was.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 21, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Where are you located? that will make a huge difference in prices.

+1

Off the top of my head I'm thinking used Marshall JCM800 combo or Vintage Modern combo. A DSL401 could be a good choice, but I understand if you want to utilize your budget more.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm in West Virginia. Wow, that Belair can get some pretty decent fuzzy goodness going on. I really dig the clean channel. I'm definitely considering this one. And then of course, the JCM 800 beckons...