Page 1 of 2
So basically, I'm sick and tired of my Jaxville strat being too much of a pussy to play like a real guitar, so I'm getting a new one. I'd say that my budget is £200, but my Dad might make an exception if it's a REALLY good one for under £300. But I'm stuck on choice. Something with a Floyd rose or kahler would be nice (original or not, I don't care, as long as its good) but it doesn't need one. I'm looking for something with humbuckers / emgs / other multi coil pickups (I'm not bothered whether there active or passive).

I would much appreciate your help. I wanted an Ibanez roadstar in green but couldn't find one cheap, so I gave up.
i'd probably skip the floyd, as most cheap ones suck.

though if you really have your heart set on one, the ibanez s series with the zr trem is probably your best bet. might be a little over budget, though. and it's worth pointing out that they're not exactly the same as floyds.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know about the ZR using ball bearings instead of a blade. It sounds quite interesting. Oh, and it doesn't really need to be an Ibanez.
yeah i know, it's just really the only cheapish guitar which i can think of which has a decent double-locking tremolo. Barring finding a crazy good deal, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I really cannot decide. And if I leave it for my Dad to choose for me he'll probably fall for one of those Chinese unbranded POS guitars.
Second hand Ibanez S320dx with a ZR trem.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

How about you get some nice pickups and a good amp or distortion pedal? You've already got a guitar so you might as well upgrade instead of starting new. Unless your guitar is really low quality.
Quote by aviator42009
How about you get some nice pickups and a good amp or distortion pedal? You've already got a guitar so you might as well upgrade instead of starting new. Unless your guitar is really low quality.

It's an £80 jaxville strat clone with a broken tremolo and made of this weird Chinese wood. So yeah. I'd rather get a new guitar.
ESP worked for me, but i agree that maybe you shouldn't go for one of those licensed/"Special" floyd rose tremolos. my first guitar was an LTD M-100FM, and everything about it was very usable except the tremolo was only good for the occasional divebomb.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
You're not going to get a guitar with a floyd that's going to be any good for £300. As Dave said, the Ibanez S series guitars are the cheapest guitars with floyds that are any good. But they're going to cost at least £400 new. The pickups on the S guitars are poor, but you get what you pay for.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You're not going to get a guitar with a floyd that's going to be any good for £300. As Dave said, the Ibanez S series guitars are the cheapest guitars with floyds that are any good. But they're going to cost at least £400 new. The pickups on the S guitars are poor, but you get what you pay for.

thomann seemed to be selling it for £375. Though admittedly by the time your credit card rooks you on the exchange rate, you probably wouldn't have much change out of £400
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
honestly, they're all glorified (or not so glorified) beginner guitars
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dempsey68
done some digging, here you go, though others may disagree with some selections:

Ibanez GRG150DXB
Ibanez GRG270B
ESP LTD MH-53
ESP LTD M-100FM
ESP LTD MH-100QM
Ibanez GRG250DX

all within your top end budget

All those are beginner guitars. TS, If you can up your budget to around £300 you can hunt the used market for something great. Like a Jackson RR3 or an Ibanez RG550. But if you need a better guitar now and have no way.of expanding your budget, go for the S320 or forget about the trem and get a decent hardtail.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Jul 21, 2013,
^ agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i accept what all say re beginners guitars, however given TS's budget and current gear, i'd put him down in that market, the guitars i listed can easily have a p-up or hardware upgrade at a later date if needed. however for now, and the next fw years, i think any of the ones i mentioned will suffice, if properly set up and looked after.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
If the floyd rose is bad, then I'll get it replaced. It's not like I'm going to constantly violate the tremolo. I only use them for the occasional Dive bomb and screech.
Ibanez RG421OM
Ibanez S421

Though they don't have floating bridges, these would be a good choice within your budget, and would be easy to upgrade later, should you want to. I found that floating trems tend to be pretty meh in the price range you're looking at.
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?
Quote by Espace39
If the floyd rose is bad, then I'll get it replaced. It's not like I'm going to constantly violate the tremolo. I only use them for the occasional Dive bomb and screech.

those poor quality ones can die even if you're only occasionally using it. and once they do, even occasional use will knock the thing out of tune.

Also, even bends etc. will knock it out of tune as the tremolo "gives" when you bend (unless you block it).

We've been here before. You haven't. You're trying to talk yourself into a decision you want to make, whether it's bad or not. You know the answer you want, and you're doctoring the evidence to back it up. To a certain extent that's human nature, but it's worth bearing in mind, too.

A poor quality trem, when (not if) it wears out, is an achilles heel which can blight an otherwise good guitar. It's a big enough problem to turn a good guitar into a bad guitar. And that holds whether you use the tremolo or not (unless you block the tremolo, and in that case you have all the negative points of a floyd rose with none of the positive ones).

I mean, it's your money and your call. But realise you're going against sound advice.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

We've been here before. You haven't. You're trying to talk yourself into a decision you want to make, whether it's bad or not. You know the answer you want, and you're doctoring the evidence to back it up. To a certain extent that's human nature, but it's worth bearing in mind, too.

I was listening to you. I was thinking about what you said earlier actually, and decided to skip the tremolo. I'm settling for a Dean ML XM. If I don't like it, I'll swap it.
Quote by Dave_Mc

I was listening to you. I was thinking about what you said earlier actually, and decided to skip the tremolo. I'm settling for a Dean ML XM. If I don't like it, I'll swap it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
honestly, they're all glorified (or not so glorified) beginner guitars

This. Get an Ibanez RG470 or 570 used, Made in Japan. Get a Heartfield Talon, get an LTD 400/1000, hgh-end schecter, maybe even a nice Godin.

You do not get a cheap guitar with a trem. Cheap guitars with trems are horrible.
Quote by samuraigoomba
You do not get a cheap guitar with a trem. Cheap guitars with trems are horrible.

ok, to dispense with the drama, really, if you take extra care of the trem you will be able to use it for divebombs and such, without it going out of tune. i don't regret getting my cheap guitar with a trem, it still works. i have since bought a much better guitar and i see the difference in trem quality...but still.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by samuraigoomba
This. Get an Ibanez RG470 or 570 used, Made in Japan. Get a Heartfield Talon, get an LTD 400/1000, hgh-end schecter, maybe even a nice Godin.

I'm skipping the tremolo.
Quote by Espace39

no worries sorry if i came across a little exasperated

Quote by samuraigoomba

(though i'd point out that most of the 470s have poor trems, too)

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
ok, to dispense with the drama, really, if you take extra care of the trem you will be able to use it for divebombs and such, without it going out of tune. i don't regret getting my cheap guitar with a trem, it still works. i have since bought a much better guitar and i see the difference in trem quality...but still.

no, cheaper trems are pretty much designed to wear out (or aren't designed not to wear out, which in effect is the same thing). it's a marketing tactic to differentiate the more expensive models.

no amount of babying will compensate for mystery alloy knife edges etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My friend brought a Chinese guitar for cheap with a Floyd rose, and the Floyd was fine. The rest of it on the other hand. The main problem was that the pickups were too crap to pick up the tremolo effect and just made the strings go loose and snap.
how exactly would the pickups make the strings go loose and snap?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
how exactly would the pickups make the strings go loose and snap?

I meant that the tremolo broke the strings and the pickups couldn't pick up the tremolos sound.
oh ok
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm surprised that nobody suggested a vintage metal axxe guitar.
Lower end Deans aren't the best usually. If you aren't getting the trem then try to find a used Ibanez, LTD, or possibly Schecter. With your budget, a slightly used guitar will be the best way to maximize the quality you get.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm looking out for a BC Rich or an ESP LTD. I'll get whatever I'm comfortable playing. But I need recommendations. Preferably something with a decent neck (not too wide or thin). My hands are about 20-30 cm long.
Quote by Espace39
I'm looking out for a BC Rich or an ESP LTD. I'll get whatever I'm comfortable playing. But I need recommendations. Preferably something with a decent neck (not too wide or thin). My hands are about 20-30 cm long.

If you want a good BC Rich its better to go midrange and above. Much like Deans the cheap ones have a poor reputation.

LTDs are solid IMHO. Atleast my f-50 is a blast to play (needed just a proper setup). Good enough for me to do a pickup swap. And my big bros mh-100, which he bought used, feels just as solid. The necks are great too, not too thin.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 1, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
If you want a good BC Rich its better to go midrange and above. Much like Deans the cheap ones have a poor reputation.

LTDs are solid IMHO. Atleast my f-50 is a blast to play (needed just a proper setup). Good enough for me to do a pickup swap. And my big bros mh-100, which he bought used, feels just as solid. The necks are great too, not too thin.

Ok, thanks.
id go for the best used ltd you can find.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
id go for the best used ltd you can find.

I'll try and look for a cheap second hand JH 200
Page 1 of 2