Poll Options
View poll results: Vote!!
Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden
5 31%
Skogsdotter - Finntroll
11 69%
Voters: 16.
Hola guys

Another month, another CATPM competition. Try to vote for accuracy instead of your favorite song.

Intermediate Guitar:

Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden (Leony03)

Skogsdotter - Finntroll (Cavalcade)
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Thrill-house
Cavalcade's was awesome, even though I felt like he was flipping me off the whole time.

Really? That did not happen in the video that I watched. Must have made that one for you personally.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Really? That did not happen in the video that I watched. Must have made that one for you personally.

Quote by Cavalcade
The middle finger on my fretting hand always sticks out. It's an annoying habit that I keep saying I'll fix, but never really do.
Leony needs some love for putting that crowd intro at the beginning; that was a nice idea.

It's cool, I actually do the same thing when I play. Leony's was really good too, might have been my speakers but it was really hard to hear most of the lead work though.
Quote by Cavalcade
The middle finger on my fretting hand always sticks out. It's an annoying habit that I keep saying I'll fix, but never really do.
Leony needs some love for putting that crowd intro at the beginning; that was a nice idea.

People say the same to me whenever I do any tapping.

Great job though.

Both were really good
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Really tough one to call, I liked both :/ I think it was a little harder to hear on Leony's one, but I think that's because he has (I think) the middle from the recording, (after removing the sides with a M-S plugin, or a program that uses the same technique) to get the vocals which left some other stuff the muddied it up a little, I could be wrong though. Think I'll have to come back to cast my vote after thinking on it
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I think that's because he has (I think) the middle from the recording, (after removing the sides with a M-S plugin, or a program that uses the same technique) to get the vocals

That's a really interesting technique. I'll have to try it.
E: For a typical modern metal mix, it looks like it softens the rhythm guitars a bit, but doesn't cut them completely. There's still plenty of bass and vocals, since they're usually panned center, and leads are up to the mixer; some double-track them, some don't.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Jul 21, 2013,
On most stuff it doesn't work well enough to use in a commercial mix, because you're basically extracting the sound from the middle of the mix which these days usually includes bass, snare, kick etc.

You can also flip the polarity of one side of the mix, and then import another copy of the whole mix and invert that, which will do the same.

Works well enough for covers though, and with a bit of EQ you cam remove some of the non-vocal stuff.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Thanks for voting for me phils

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Really tough one to call, I liked both :/ I think it was a little harder to hear on Leony's one, but I think that's because he has (I think) the middle from the recording, (after removing the sides with a M-S plugin, or a program that uses the same technique) to get the vocals which left some other stuff the muddied it up a little, I could be wrong though. Think I'll have to come back to cast my vote after thinking on it

Nice guess but wrong I actually managed to find the drums, vocal and bass master tracks on YouTube Pretty much the reason I chose this Iron Maiden song rather than another

The solo isn't me but was for some reason part of the vocal track and as I didn't have time to do it myself, I kept it in.

I've read about but never tried those methods you both mentioned. I'll have to give it a shot sometime for songs which just won't work without vocals. If vocals aren't a key part (like my Thunderhorse one), i'll just use a VST drums and some other method for bass. With most Iron Maiden songs, vocals is a key part so thats why I've never done a full cover of one of their songs despite them being one of my favourite bands
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at Jul 21, 2013,
Voted
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.