Page 1 of 2
Never been a mac person, but I've been looking to get a new 12/13 inch laptop and this seems to be the best option. All the windows ones I've seen (tablet touch screen hybrids) all dont have back lit keyboards, ssd's, or keyboard flex or just some other irritating things going on with them.

1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Accessory Kit
$1279

Now, I paid $140 to upgrade to i7 form i5...worth it? Will I notice a difference? Also did $90 to double the ram from 4 to 8 which I feel is definitely worth it.

advice?
My Gear:
-Fender American 1962 Stratocaster Reissue
-1984 Marshall JCM 800 2204
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
Also did $90 to double the ram from 4 to 8 which I feel is definitely worth it.

How did you even manage that?
I prefer the Pro but the Air is pretty nice too. I would be afraid of breaking it though, lol
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
1. You will notice a difference between an i5 and an i7. i7 is a much more powerful chipset.

2. RAM upgrades are never worth it when buying the computer itself. It's cheap and easy to upgrade yourself.

3. Expect a shitstorm because Mac.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I couldn't stand not having an optical drive. Even if I hardly use cds, I just don't like Apple deciding that it's an outdated feature and taking it out to create some self-fulfilling prophecy.

And it just depends on what you want to do with it, I guess and are cool with dropping that kind of money.

Absolutely don't know why you'd settle for 13" over 15". That's a big difference in a laptop.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Firstly, I think you can find some Windows laptops with SSDs (I seem to remember recently looking at some Acer ones).

Was the CPU upgrade worth it? Only if you use the Turbo Boost, otherwise 1.7Ghz isn't exactly impressive.

Was the RAM worth it? You should notice a fairly big difference.
Quote by Cb4rabid
lol wut $90 to upgrade from 4 to 8gb?

I paid $35 to go from 8 to 16gb

apple
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

You know, I've been wondering myself if it's even necessary to go from the i5 to the i7.

What are you doing with it?

I'm gonna be using it for personal and work (server admin) and there's a pretty good chance the i5 will be plenty.

edit: just read about the RAM. There is virtually no reason for you to upgrade to 8GB of memory on a MacBook Air. This computer isn't designed to do anything that requires heavy lifting. 4GB is more than enough for the light OS.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 21, 2013,
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
Never been a mac person, but I've been looking to get a new 12/13 inch laptop and this seems to be the best option. All the windows ones I've seen (tablet touch screen hybrids) all dont have back lit keyboards, ssd's, or keyboard flex or just some other irritating things going on with them.

1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Accessory Kit
$1279

Now, I paid $140 to upgrade to i7 form i5...worth it? Will I notice a difference? Also did $90 to double the ram from 4 to 8 which I feel is definitely worth it.

advice?

You haven't looked very hard. ALOT of laptops have SSDs these days. Just google "Ultrabook" and you'll find TONS of Windows-based laptops along the same style as the Macbook Air.

i7 will definitely be faster but at the consumer level you don't really need much more than an i5 unless you're power hungry or need the extra processing power for video/music/photoshop rendering etc.

Quote by necrosis1193
1. You will notice a difference between an i5 and an i7. i7 is a much more powerful chipset.

2. RAM upgrades are never worth it when buying the computer itself. It's cheap and easy to upgrade yourself.

3. Expect a shitstorm because Mac.

RAM upgrades are easy to do on your own if you don't own a Macbook Air. Everything is soldered to the chipset so you really can't upgrade it yourself.
My use is just for internet and email and word processing. I want a pretty blog typing machine I can take around with me. No games, nothing like that.
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Why on earth have you pissed away money on i7 and RAM then?

Did you do any research whatsoever? I'm not sure I even believe this is real
As soon as you get it make sure you throw it in the air. As high as you can, and don't catch it.

/bcuslulmac
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
My use is just for internet and email and word processing. I want a pretty blog typing machine I can take around with me. No games, nothing like that.

i5 and 4gb sounds plenty
pinga
Quote by GuitarGuy2387

You definitely do not need 8GB of memory and the i5 should be more than enough.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by GuitarGuy2387

You're comfortable paying $1279 for a internet machine? Can I have some money?

And what do you even need a ssd for a blog machine?
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by lushacrous
You're comfortable paying $1279 for a internet machine? Can I have some money?

And what do you even need a ssd for a blog machine?

Nothing wrong with having SSD on even light computers. They are super duper snappy. Especially the newest Airs.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by RPGoof
You haven't looked very hard. ALOT of laptops have SSDs these days. Just google "Ultrabook" and you'll find TONS of Windows-based laptops along the same style as the Macbook Air.

i7 will definitely be faster but at the consumer level you don't really need much more than an i5 unless you're power hungry or need the extra processing power for video/music/photoshop rendering etc.

RAM upgrades are easy to do on your own if you don't own a Macbook Air. Everything is soldered to the chipset so you really can't upgrade it yourself.

No, I'm well aware there are windows with ssd's. They just dont have the combo of being pretty and a form factor that is attractive. Keyboard flex, and no backlite on the lenovo yoga/thinkpad models
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by RPGoof
I'm starting to think this is a troll thread

If it's not you just spent $1000 more than you needed to

While I agree the upgrades are wasted, it's not really accurate to gauge someone's needs by hardware power alone. Just because someone is blogging and surfing the web does not mean the answer is a cheap little netbook. I gladly pay a premium for the better experience.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
No, I'm well aware there are windows with ssd's. They just dont have the combo of being pretty and a form factor that is attractive. Keyboard flex, and no backlite on the lenovo yoga/thinkpad models

Did you look at Asus? I have a backlit keyboard.

Also 2.4 Ghz quad core i7 and 16gb ram for $1200 apple is bollocks
pinga
Quote by Xiaoxi
Nothing wrong with having SSD on even light computers. They are super duper snappy. Especially the newest Airs.

I guess it would be a great use of money to have your word documents load instantly
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

Lol I dunno. I jsut built a new gaming pc as well maybe I'm trying to match the specs on that for some stupid reason.
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by lushacrous
I guess it would be a great use of money to have your word documents load instantly

Why yes it is.

Quote by GuitarGuy2387
Lol I dunno. I jsut built a new gaming pc as well maybe I'm trying to match the specs on that for some stupid reason.

ok but that doesn't make any sense... This is NOT a gaming computer. It's something that's easy to carry and allow you to do everyday tasks easier.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by GuitarGuy2387

So you already just spent a shit load of money on a gaming pc, and it can't use the internet or a word document?
Quote by Cb4rabid
Did you look at Asus? I have a backlit keyboard.

Also 2.4 Ghz quad core i7 and 16gb ram for $1200 apple is bollocks

I gave Asus a chance for my gf. Regret it. It's still a POS with ******ed design flaws. And of course it has Windows on it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Naw I need something portable. And gaming pc only costs like $700 relax.
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
just spend a little more and buy the majority share of apple stock and make them build you the perfect word processing machine with a blinding keyboard and ssd drive and the craziest processor ever for free

dammit man
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

LOL

All I'm saying is the Air I've used in the past (friend's) was very solid, well built, felt nice, looked nice, was a joy to use. I'm on this old asus 1210n netbook and it just sucks. Feels cheap, keyboard blows, touchpad and clicker sucks.

the mac feels right, and I'm thinking maybe I'm willing to pay money for that.

I dunno, I've hated apple my whole life because its overpriced hard ware...
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by Xiaoxi
I gave Asus a chance for my gf. Regret it. It's still a POS with ******ed design flaws. And of course it has Windows on it.

At least 50% of my computing products (2x monitors, tablet, laptop, motherboard, some PCI cards) are Asus and I haven't had any issues, despite a couple of those being refurbs Maybe I'm just an Asus fanboy, but they are known for being one of the more reliable brands

Quote by lushacrous

< 20 second boot speeds are nice too, as well as ridiculous speed for all your cache

Quote by GuitarGuy2387
Naw I need something portable. And gaming pc only costs like $700 relax.

You were probably better off getting a tablet (preferably Android) and getting a bluetooth keyboard
Last edited by RPGoof at Jul 21, 2013,
Quote by Xiaoxi

Bummer. I don't have any issues on my machine. Did you get a warranty on it? Or just use the manufacturer warranty?
pinga
Quote by RPGoof

< 20 second boot speeds are nice too, as well as ridiculous speed for all your cache

the late 2011 macbook pro w/o a ssd that i've been given for work boots in like 10 seconds, it's a non-issue here.

and i just don't really trust ssd 100% i guess. don't like that they just decide to fail and that's it. at least good ol' spinny ones give sort of a warning and you can tell when they're about to kick the bucket. but i guess that's just a personal thing.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by RPGoof
At least 50% of my computing products (2x monitors, tablet, laptop, motherboard, some PCI cards) are Asus and I haven't had any issues, despite a couple of those being refurbs Maybe I'm just an Asus fanboy, but they are known for being one of the more reliable brands

You were probably better off getting a tablet (preferably Android) and getting a bluetooth keyboard

I dont want a tablet and a keyboard and a mouse. lol way too much stuff. I dont wanna set it up everywhere and deal with that hassle.

Find me a windows laptop that is a direct competitor to the Air and then beats it or is on par with it and I'm totally game. I just dont see a decent alternative.
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by RPGoof
At least 50% of my computing products (2x monitors, tablet, laptop, motherboard, some PCI cards) are Asus and I haven't had any issues

I'm talking about the laptops. I was counting on it to be good, and it failed. 2 major mistakes:

1. made it impossible to install anything other than Windows 8
2. put the trackpad off center, which makes it prone to be accidentally clicked on while you type

And then of course there is Windows 8. I can't fault Asus for this. But goddamn this is the worst OS or what. This screwed over my gf majorly.

I recognize that computer savvy people will rarely have a serious issue with their computers, but I'm not gauging things based on that.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by lushacrous
the late 2011 macbook pro w/o a ssd that i've been given for work boots in like 10 seconds, it's a non-issue here.

and i just don't really trust ssd 100% i guess. don't like that they just decide to fail and that's it. at least good ol' spinny ones give sort of a warning and you can tell when they're about to kick the bucket. but i guess that's just a personal thing.

Using an SSD for anything other than your OS and caches would be ludicrous, I agree. A SSD/HDD combo is always preferred, or even just using the SSD as a cache for your HDD. Totally agree on their reliability though, it's painful.

And as far as boot speeds go you're just a lucky sonuvabitch My PC boots in 20 seconds, but the majority of the time its my BIOS being slow when POSTing and the boot loader doing the same. Windows only takes a few seconds to load so thats thanks to the SSD, the rest is just things that need some tweaking to quicken up >_>

Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm talking about the laptops. I was counting on it to be good, and it failed. 2 major mistakes:

1. made it impossible to install anything other than Windows 8
2. put the trackpad off center, which makes it prone to be accidentally clicked on while you type

And then of course there is Windows 8. I can't fault Asus for this. But goddamn this is the worst OS or what. This screwed over my gf majorly.

I recognize that computer savvy people will rarely have a serious issue with their computers, but I'm not gauging things based on that.

Design flaws are one thing but Windows 8's new secure boot bullshit is entirely Microsoft's blame
Last edited by RPGoof at Jul 21, 2013,
Almost $1300 for that? Holy shit.

And even for a computer whose selling point is that it fits in an envelope (whoopdie doo), 128GB of storage is insulting by modern standards.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Last edited by AeroRocker at Jul 21, 2013,
anyways, end point to thread:

no, you don't need the i7 and 8GB memory upgrade. end of discussion.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yea base model without any upgrading is $1125 with tax...just wish there was a decent alternative. I dont think there is.
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Why does it have such little storage? I just looked and my brother's year old Macbook Pro has 1000 GB hard drive and probably cost the same
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
Yea base model without any upgrading is $1125 with tax...just wish there was a decent alternative. I dont think there is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231124
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231125
Quote by WCPhils
Why does it have such little storage? I just looked and my brother's year old Macbook Pro has 1000 GB hard drive and probably cost the same

SSDs have smaller capacity (for the price these days) but much faster speeds
Page 1 of 2