I play guitar, mandolin and piano, though I am mediocre at all of them (my first choice is guitar). I love music, and I am giving thought to becoming a music teacher maybe. How well should I know my instrument to get into college?

I am willing to work hard to get to a higher level, but I am self-taught and only have 2 more years of high school. am I being unrealistic?
What Uni? What course?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Get a teacher, practice efficiently and diligently.
I think you need to be at a very high level to get to Berkley. It is all down to the university, because some places are more focused on classical and jazz, so if you aren't particularly good at either style, you won't have much of a chance, but other places are open to more contemporary players, or intermediate players. Also, it depends on your grades at high school.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
the trick is to get lessons with someone who teaches guitar at your university. you will know about all the tricks to get in and how to prepare for the auditions. even a music student who studies at the uni you want in will greatly help you
2 years is more than enough to prepare for your auditions if you start taking it seriously right now

you have to decide what exactly you want to study because most colleges teach only jazz and classical guitar and don't have a pop/rock program
Last edited by SuperKid at Jul 21, 2013,
You want to be a music major? Just buy a pretentious hat, vote Democrat, wear flip-flops, forget to shave, and hang out with ugly people.
Quote by Rossenrot
Just buy a pretentious hat, vote Democrat, wear flip-flops, forget to shave, and hang out with ugly people.

I've dabbled with all of those but unfortunately it didn't earn me a degree nor an insight into the music business.
Quote by Rossenrot
You want to be a music major? Just buy a pretentious hat, vote Democrat, wear flip-flops, forget to shave, and hang out with ugly people.

how does one find a pretentious hat?

the rest i think i can manage, except voting is for idiots
Quote by TV-Casualty
how does one find a pretentious hat?

You go to a pretentious hat store.
Quote by Hydra150
You go to a pretentious hat store.

sweet, this is gonna be easier than i thought
A lot can be achieved in 2 years. Just work hard, get to understand your theory and look for the right course/school for you.

You won't need to be a virtuoso, even if you want to get into places with a good reputation. You just need to show you can play your instrument to a standard, be tight and perform with confidence and you'll be laughing.
Two years is more than enough time to prepare for university/college. Take lessons with a good teacher who has been through school for playing. I wish I had invested more time and effort into it, I would have loved to play guitar at school. So now I take history and play my guitar by myself at a first grade level.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
My friend Blake (a different Blake) got in just fine and he doesn't even play guitar.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Find a teacher and have him help you prepare one or two jazz tunes to play. Assuming you don't play classical, you're pretty safe if you can play some decent jazz.
Here they have both theory tests, listening tests and auditions to get into the decent ones.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Teach music because you want to teach, not because you kinda like music and want to half ass it enough to get by.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
First of all let me preface by saying that either way, you will benefit from music lessons and learning to play an instrument better. At the very lest if you get good enough you can teach lessons yourself which is a great way to earn a little money... on the other hand, if you are under the delusion that a music grad makes much money, I will kill that dream right now (most of us end up working in something completely unrelated that pays crap). If you still want to go to school that's fine, it was the best 4 years of my life (then reality hit lol) but seriously, to answer your question... as long as you aren't completely untalented, two years of lessons and practicing every day (I recommend 1-2 hours per day), you should be able to get into a decent school. (Plus make sure you know some theory and you get good grades). Good luck in whatever you choose!
Get a music business degree and play in bands...thats how you learn. People who completely suck at music but have the right connections get great gigs. Musicians who slave over their music and practice every day do just that for the rest of their lives.
Or do a course that covers both performance and business like mine!
Quote by vilk
have fun composing while you flip burgers

Better than flipping burgers and not being able to compose that well I guess?
Last edited by slayer_rule_\m/ at Jul 22, 2013,
I'm in my third year of college majoring in music education and I can honestly say my guitar skills have not helped out once (despite it being the instrument I am most familiar with). Admittedly, it is probably different at other colleges, but all the music professors at the two colleges I've attended have cared about are reading music, being competent at piano and not being tone deaf while singing.