Sorry if anything like this has been posted before. I couldn't search for it because I don't know how to describe it. I recently got a Blackstar HT-5TH anniversary edition 2x10 and I love it except that when I play clean in a higher register (especially with the bridge pickup) while standing off to the side of the amp, it just sounds really muddy and terrible, like the two speakers are out of phase with each other or something. If I stand directly in front of the amp, the problem vanishes and it sounds great again. What causes this? Is it just the tone breaking up? Is this normal? If so, how with it affect performances in a larger space? If not, how can I fix it? Can I just mess around with my settings? I'm playing a Schecter C-1 Classic through it. I would appreciate any input because I really have no idea what's going on.
The Gear Sig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5TH Anniversary Limited Edition
if you stand off to the side of the speakers, the sound will change with any amp. especially if it's closed-backed (is it?).

of course it could also be something wrong. it's hard to tell without being there. Obviously that's no help, but
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the input. It is closed back but I never noticed a change for the first few weeks of having it. It might just be nothing I guess. Would an audio clip help?
The Gear Sig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
It's normal for the amp not to sound the same from different positions. In front of the speaker you will hear a lot more high frequencies, while from the side you'll hear a lot more low frequencies which cause amp to sound muddy.
Thanks. I'm just confused about why I never noticed it the first few weeks I had it. And It almost sounds like there is too much of the high frequencies rather than the low frequencies.
The Gear Sig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
i dunno. it is strange that you didn't notice it before, but stranger things have happened than that...

I'm also not sure that a soundclip would help. you'd have to have the mic in the exact right spot where your ears are, and even then it still might not tell us that much...

do you know anyone who knows a bit about guitars? letting them listen might be the easiest way to decide if there's anything wrong...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This is one reason why I like lots of big speakers and a combination of open and closed back cabs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a similar issue when playing live.

I raise my 212 combo off the ground via a half stack (other bands) or stool.

When I stand less than 2 feet, or more than 6 feet from the amp I can hear it fine. But when I'm in the middle 2-6 feet the sound virtually vanishes.

I'd always advise musicians to stand where the audience are to asses the sound.