Hi guys, I need your opinion on a good guitar amp without modelling effect, my budget is below 200$ but if it's worth i will raise it up to 350$, but I'm still a college student so I try to keep my budget low.

At first I really like a vox pathfinder 15r but apparently, it is really hard to get those amp in my place. So I need your suggestion is there any alternative for this amp? Btw i play mostly between almost all kind of rock (Joe Satriani, Jimi Hendrix, Oasis, My Chemical Romance, etc), but sometimes i play other genre such as jazz and classic.

I need an amplifier that has a good clean sound and i don't want a modelling amp because i want to build my sound through pedal effect later, I already going through a bit of research and only find peavey rage 158/258, marshall mg15cfx, fender frontman 25r, and laney lx20r. I don't know anything about orange amp so I would love some opinion on their product also.

I will use the amp mostly for bedroom practice, and I do a small gig also.

I'm live in malaysia currently. If possible I want it in the new condition, because the weather in here is not to friendly so second hand item sometimes will not be good.

Thank you

Ibanez RG2XXV
Zoom G2
Last edited by simplevd at Jul 21, 2013,
if you're gonna use pedals your best bet is probably one of the cheap, low wattage tube amps which are on the market currently- vht special 6, vox ac4, etc. etc. Tube amps just tend to take distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals better, in my experience.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^
Probably wouldn't cut it in a live setting though. Even mic'ed up there's going to problems being heard over a drummer.
Jet City, perhaps?
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
ah i missed the bit about the gigging. Sorry
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Slap-happy
^
Probably wouldn't cut it in a live setting though. Even mic'ed up there's going to problems being heard over a drummer.
Jet City, perhaps?

No, but neither will any of the amps the TS actually listed.

TS, can you link us to a website you can order from, so we can see what is available to you, and how much stuff costs where you live?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Vyper Tube may be a modeller but it isn't digital modelling like the others so they sound far more organic. There are digital effects onboard but the modelling section is analog. It will do what you want.

And what Offworld said.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Offworld92
No, but neither will any of the amps the TS actually listed.

TS, can you link us to a website you can order from, so we can see what is available to you, and how much stuff costs where you live?

I'm not sure this will be helpful since malaysia is a bit different, each site is a dealer to a different amp.

vox site:
http://www.ckmusic.com.my/webshaper/store/viewCat.asp?catID=74

peavey site:
http://estore.theguitarstore.com.my/webshaper/store/viewCat.asp?catID=37

laney site:
http://www.cmmusic.com.my/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=114

marshall site:
http://www.cmmusic.com.my/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=70&sortOrder=price+ASC

fender site:
http://www.cmmusic.com.my/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=71&sortOrder=price+ASC

orange site:
http://www.musicmaster.com.my/our-products.html?page=shop.browse&manufacturer_id=57

I hope the link could be helpful, the cost of living in here is around 30 RM per day.

Quote by Ippon
Also, can't you swing by Singapore where the selection might be wider?

I'm not sure if I can, but if there's the only way i will go to singapore

Quote by Cathbard
The Vyper Tube may be a modeller but it isn't digital modelling like the others so they sound far more organic. There are digital effects onboard but the modelling section is analog. It will do what you want.

And what Offworld said.

I don't need an amp modelling since the modelling itself cost so much, but i will save it for the last option
How much RM do you have to spend?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by simplevd
I don't need an amp modelling since the modelling itself cost so much, but i will save it for the last option

The reason Vyper Tubes get recommended so often here is because they are so cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Offworld92
How much RM do you have to spend?

I have around 500-600 RM to spend and as I say in the first post, if it's worth I will make it until 900-1000 RM

Quote by Cathbard
The reason Vyper Tubes get recommended so often here is because they are so cheap.

If it's cheap, then will the sound be as good as the original amp?
Not quite but they are very good for the price. The power amp is lifted straight out of a 6505.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Vypyr Tube 60 will blow those other amps into next Sunday.

Rage I hear is decent, don't know anything about that Laney. If you want a strait up tube amp then buy a Peavey Classic 30 off eHay. It will do everything you want really well.
Ah I see. I'm assuming you don't have much of a used market over there?

I looked at all the sites, and this is the only amp I can actually recommend. http://estore.theguitarstore.com.my/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=617

It's a modeling amp, but it's simply the best sounding amp in your budget. It has a 12" speaker, which pretty much nothing else in your budget does. If you want to play with distortion, anything smaller than 12" is going to sound pretty bad.

EDIT: I missed this one. This might actually be a better value for you. http://www.ckmusic.com.my/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=521 Vox VT80+

If you want to gig, the Vox will give you a lot more clean headroom, which is a good thing.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 21, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
Ah I see. I'm assuming you don't have much of a used market over there?

I looked at all the sites, and this is the only amp I can actually recommend. http://estore.theguitarstore.com.my/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=617

It's a modeling amp, but it's simply the best sounding amp in your budget. It has a 12" speaker, which pretty much nothing else in your budget does. If you want to play with distortion, anything smaller than 12" is going to sound pretty bad.

EDIT: I missed this one. This might actually be a better value for you. http://www.ckmusic.com.my/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=521 Vox VT80+

If you want to gig, the Vox will give you a lot more clean headroom, which is a good thing.

If you want a ss amp, Peavey bandits ate pretty good for the money.

But the vypyr Tube is superior to it in every way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I also think you'd be best served by a small tube amp. Orange are too expensive, the Tiny Terror is exceptional but it will probably be too expensive.

Look into Crate Palomino, Peavey Classic 30.

What about Kustom? Try this one:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Kustom_defender/Kustom%20Defender15H_KustomDefenderGuitarSpeakerCabinet.htm
If you're going to play live then none of the amps you originally listed will work. They just aren't loud enough. Offworld's recommendation of the Vox VT80 is probably the best bet for you. Don't go against modelling amps because they can be complicated. They can also be really basic if you want as well. The VT's user interface (controls) is very easy to understand. These amps are also some of the cheapest you can buy (that are worth trying).
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
I don't want to spend money on modelling amp since i will not use all of them and I really cannot afford an amp that more than 300$, so if possible i just want a non-modelling amp.

Other than that, in the gig my amplifier can be mic up so the amplifier volume will not really be a problem.
Where exactly are you in Malaysia? If you're in JB-ish areas, I'd recommend going into Singapore, however, be aware if you bring the amp back to Malaysia and declare the full value, you'll be hit with the 30% tax as amps aren't tax-exempt. Although guitars are tax-exempt.

You also have to consider that the customs officers have the right to impound your amp until you get one of them permits to allow you to import electronics of a certain class (I'm not too sure about the exact details of the permit though).

Given that you've listed C&M as an accessible store, I'm betting you're in Johor correct?

On the matter of your budget, even at RM1,000, you'll net S$440 approx, which really limits your selection of amps. The best you'll be looking at is the Peavey Vypyr 30 if I recall the prices correctly.

If going into Singapore floats your boat, you can consider going to Swee Lee's at Bras Basah Complex, they stock a nice range of amps, including the Vypyr. However, Swee Lee's markup can be quite absurd for some products.

If you can pull even more money, you can consider going to Ebenex, they focus on higher end guitar gear, boutique stuff and brands not regularly stocked by the other guitar stores. However, they received a huge influx of mid-range and lower-mid-range gear about 2 months back, so they have a decent number of low price products too. The owner, David, might also help you bring the amp into Malaysia if you spend enough.

For me, a very good value store is Davis, as their prices are sometimes very competitive and can work out cheaper than online prices. They also carry Jet City amps... but I can't quite recall what the price was like.

Alternatively, I know there are several guys in Soft.com.sg looking to offload amps. While the second hand market in Singapore and JB are pretty crappy, I'm guessing every little bit will help. In fact, some of these guys are actually in JB... I think there was a Krank Rev Jr Pro 20 in JB going up for sale. Not sure of the prices... and I'm not sure how well it'll suit your needs.

If you're fixed on getting a Vox amp, you can also go to City Music in Selegie Road.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 22, 2013,
Quote by ragingkitty
Where exactly are you in Malaysia? If you're in JB-ish areas, I'd recommend going into Singapore, however, be aware if you bring the amp back to Malaysia and declare the full value, you'll be hit with the 30% tax as amps aren't tax-exempt. Although guitars are tax-exempt.

You also have to consider that the customs officers have the right to impound your amp until you get one of them permits to allow you to import electronics of a certain class (I'm not too sure about the exact details of the permit though).

Given that you've listed C&M as an accessible store, I'm betting you're in Johor correct?

On the matter of your budget, even at RM1,000, you'll net S$440 approx, which really limits your selection of amps. The best you'll be looking at is the Peavey Vypyr 30 if I recall the prices correctly.

If going into Singapore floats your boat, you can consider going to Swee Lee's at Bras Basah Complex, they stock a nice range of amps, including the Vypyr. However, Swee Lee's markup can be quite absurd for some products.

If you can pull even more money, you can consider going to Ebenex, they focus on higher end guitar gear, boutique stuff and brands not regularly stocked by the other guitar stores. However, they received a huge influx of mid-range and lower-mid-range gear about 2 months back, so they have a decent number of low price products too. The owner, David, might also help you bring the amp into Malaysia if you spend enough.

For me, a very good value store is Davis, as their prices are sometimes very competitive and can work out cheaper than online prices. They also carry Jet City amps... but I can't quite recall what the price was like.

Alternatively, I know there are several guys in Soft.com.sg looking to offload amps. While the second hand market in Singapore and JB are pretty crappy, I'm guessing every little bit will help. In fact, some of these guys are actually in JB... I think there was a Krank Rev Jr Pro 20 in JB going up for sale. Not sure of the prices... and I'm not sure how well it'll suit your needs.

If you're fixed on getting a Vox amp, you can also go to City Music in Selegie Road.

Thanks for the information and sorry to make you write that long, but I stay in KL which very far from singapore but when the holiday come I will go to singapore and can take a look at the amp as well.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
If you want a ss amp, Peavey bandits ate pretty good for the money.

But the vypyr Tube is superior to it in every way.

Did you look at OPs links? His selection is very limited, and I'm thinking that used isn't going to happen. We're talking like $300 USD is the very very top of his budget here. And there are literally no small tube amps available that I can see.

Quote by simplevd
I don't want to spend money on modelling amp since i will not use all of them and I really cannot afford an amp that more than 300$, so if possible i just want a non-modelling amp.

Other than that, in the gig my amplifier can be mic up so the amplifier volume will not really be a problem.

Like I tried to say, it is not about preferences in your budget. It's harsh, and I'm sorry, but you simply do not have enough money to be picky. Any of the non modeling amps you can afford sound like crap compared to the Vypyr 30 or VT80+.

Is not having a modeling amp more important to you than having a good sounding amp?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Did you look at OPs links? His selection is very limited, and I'm thinking that used isn't going to happen. We're talking like $300 USD is the very very top of his budget here. And there are literally no small tube amps available that I can see.

Like I tried to say, it is not about preferences in your budget. It's harsh, and I'm sorry, but you simply do not have enough money to be picky. Any of the non modeling amps you can afford sound like crap compared to the Vypyr 30 or VT80+.

Is not having a modeling amp more important to you than having a good sounding amp?

how about ac4c1-bl? And is it better if I can get the pathfinder?

I know that in my situation I can't get picky, but still I just want an amp that I will buy without any regret later, sorry if I cause trouble so much. If either vypyr or valvetronix is my best option then I will take it

Other than that I'm not sure I will get the vypyr 30 or vt80+, maybe i will take either vypyr 15 or vt20+ or vt40+, is it good enough?
+1 to OffWorld's comment.

Unfortunately, you're gonna have to face up to the fact that while RM1,000 is a fair bit of money in Malaysia (given that the starting pay of a fresh grad borders approx RM2,000 ~ RM2,300 in KL), it really means very little in the world of guitar gear.

I'm sure that this is severely compounded by the fact that jerks like Bentley practically having close to 100% mark-ups on amps in KL, in addition to completely making customers absorb the cost of shipping.

If you want a good sounding tube amp, RM1,000 won't bring you far, even if you pick it up from Ceriatone.... You're gonna need up up RM2,600 to get you even into the ball-park of what you're looking for.

Honestly, I'm not sure about C&M, but I would never support Bentley, you're asking to be ripped off. if you pick up your amp from them.

EDIT:
Pick up the Vypyr 30 if you have to, the Vypyr 15 has fewer models and can't do a firmware flash if I recall correctly. Get the VT40... I've seen people gig with those... and while it isn't a major star cutting through the mix, it does handle itself pretty well.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 22, 2013,
I didn't recommend the AC4 because of the small speaker. All of those other amps have 8"-10" speakers. You really want a 12". Only the Vypyr 30 and VT80+ have them, all the smaller ones have smaller speakers.

If you want, you can take a chance on a AC4TV. But it's not a high gain amp - you're not going to get any real distortion out of it without a pedal, and a pedal that doesn't sound like crap is going to cost you.

I would take a Vypyr 30 any day over an AC4 and a DS-1. But... at the end of the day, it's your choice, of course.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The thing is I will use a pedal also, I think I will buy either TS-9 or SD-1 later, is vypyr or vt can take the pedal well?

+1 for raggingkitty

I agree to not buy a thing other than accessorties from bentley, they are overpriced and the item is not good when you got it.

I know that my budget won't bring me anywhere, but I also use this amp mostly in my bedroom, and only a really small gig. Is it really need to be 12" speaker, and the bigger amplifier they cost more wattage.

So in the end of the day I only need an amp that can take a pedals and no need to be big at least I can use it for a small gig, they gonna mic it up

Btw I don't see any recomendation for mustang and roland cube, are they not good?
The TS9 and SD-1 aren't distortion pedals, they won't give you much gain. They can tighten up a tube amp's natural gain, but the AC4 doesn't have much to begin with. All in all I don't think you'll get very far, especially for shreddy stuff.

The point of modeling amps is that you don't need pedals, at all. You don't need to spend extra money on them because they're already inside the amp.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
since i already have a zoom G2 multi effect, will it be okay to use vypyr or vt? If it is, then I maybe I will take either of them.

and which one of them better to use with ibanez guitar?
I'm not sure what is going on at this point.

I've played the VT but can't speak to it specifically.

The Vypyr can be played with no effects turned on whatsoever so I would have to say the G2 would probably work OK with it. I've ran standalone effects pedals into the front end of my Vypyr (no FX loop) and it worked pretty well and that included a delay pedal.

I can't speak to your Ibanez guitar question.
For info, I play a Zoom G3X through my Vox VT20+ for home use and it sounds great to my ears.