In almost most of todays hardcore and pop-punk bands, you will hear a traditional "pop punk yell"(thats what were gonna call it) for example:
at the end of the song "burn this city" by cartel
where the music drops, and it sounds like a choir of band members singing all at once.

its not singing(clean vocals) or screaming, its just yelling but the way most pop punk/hardcore bands do it, it sounds so nice and pure.

what is the proper way to record this style(from one voice)? I would assume just record one person yelling it in different keys and stack them, but it can't be that simple can it?

im about to go to school for audio engineering, but i can't wait that long to figure out the proper way to do this.
You mean... Gang Vocals... it's not just a pop-punk thing. It's in lots of styles of music.

All you do is record a group of people standing around a microphone yelling... if you don't have enough to get a big enough group in one take, do lots of take with all the people standing in different positions every time. If you're gonna do it on your own... well you're just gonna have to record lots of takes, though it still probably isn't gonna sound as good as having a group of 4 or 5.

It's not the sort of thing you need to go to Audio School to learn.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jul 21, 2013,
should I do it in different tones/pitches, or just the same pitch from different angles?
Experiment and see what sounds best. Though the more variance the better (I'd assume having not done this myself,) remember to vary distance from the mic too.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by CalebBrown
yelling it in different keys

I'm not sure you know what "keys" means.
The best way is just to invite a bunch of bros over who wouldn't mind doing something like this, say you're recording pop-punk, and have them yell a couple lines with you, then credit them. When metal bands need gang vocals, they'll just call in whoever's on hand, even if they're not musicians. It's not something you need any talent to do, other than passable timing.
I did this the other day for a Gives You Hell cover my band did. We pointed the drum overheads forward, stood in-front of the drum kit, and yelled. Then we did it again, and again, and again, and another 4 times after that, totaling 8 stereo tracks. We had to do all those because there was only two of us (we don't have a drummer atm). It came out pretty well I think, we switched sides and stood in different places to spread the sound out like a real crowd, and because we were yelling our voices sounded different each take as we slowly lost our voices.
Having tried this before, I have to say that I've had bad results trying to mix takes from only one or two people for this affect and only ever got a decent sound by actually having a crowd of people standing in a circle around a microphone. I had maybe 5 people do two or three takes (Recorded each with two microphones sitting a few feet apart. Seemed to help) and just mixed those together.
Quote by Cavalcade
I'm not sure you know what "keys" means.
The best way is just to invite a bunch of bros over who wouldn't mind doing something like this, say you're recording pop-punk, and have them yell a couple lines with you, then credit them. When metal bands need gang vocals, they'll just call in whoever's on hand, even if they're not musicians. It's not something you need any talent to do, other than passable timing.

One time Dream Theater stood outside the studio and asked people if they wanted to be in the new album. They then put them all in a room (I think there were like 30-40 people) and had them yell the part they needed.

On topic, I did this once by myself (albeit with mediocre results). I recorded myself 5 different times, then in my recording software duplicated the track so I had about 20, then lined them all up, and shifted each one a bit to the left or right. to mimic the feeling of having more than one person (rather than a bunch of clones of myself), I varied the pitch a little up and down between them.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Jul 22, 2013,
^srsly dude.

What the fuq.

Your first thread got a response pretty quick... why DID you post it in like 3 places?

Quote by DisarmGoliath