Hey guys

This might be more of a technique questions but it could also be a recording question.

I watched this video and really like the tone and style of play in this music video:
youtube.com/watch?v=xtVx01HMR98

I'm wondering though, I can never seem to get my sweeps to sound as clean, and I have random battles with string noise. I know that this just means I need to work on my technique, but am I also missing something in the recording phase that allows the tone to sound so crisp. Any help would be much appreciated.

Are they adding a lot of compression to this song. If I set mine too high I feel like I am opening up another can of worms...
Last edited by GuitarNub123 at Jul 22, 2013,
Practice your sweeps and fast playing REALLY REALLY SLOW. Do it for at least an hour a day. Then when you go back to play full speed it should help dramatically with your playing
Quote by GuitarNub123
Hey guys

This might be more of a technique questions but it could also be a recording question.

I watched this video and really like the tone and style of play in this music video:
youtube.com/watch?v=xtVx01HMR98

I'm wondering though, I can never seem to get my sweeps to sound as clean, and I have random battles with string noise. I know that this just means I need to work on my technique, but am I also missing something in the recording phase that allows the tone to sound so crisp. Any help would be much appreciated.

Are they adding a lot of compression to this song. If I set mine too high I feel like I am opening up another can of worms...

Sounds like you need less distortion fella, it'll make things harder but your tone will be a lot cleaner and you'll have a lot less excess noise to deal with.
As previously said, practice your sweep exercises very slow. Always practice with a metronome, focusing on getting rid of open string noise.
Quote by Gu1T@r_H3r0
Sounds like you need less distortion fella, it'll make things harder but your tone will be a lot cleaner and you'll have a lot less excess noise to deal with.

If anything you want to play with MORE distortion. This will will magnify any excess string noise so that you'll have to play extremely cleanly to make is sound good.
You should be able to detect flaws with or without distortion. Really, you should be able to tell if you've made a mistake without hearing it at all.
Quote by pia98jf
If anything you want to play with MORE distortion. This will will magnify any excess string noise so that you'll have to play extremely cleanly to make is sound good.

More distortion will just cover up sloppy technique. If anyone actually read OPs post you would note that he knew to work on his technique, and was asking how to get the clearer tone from the link provided. Like I said, less distortion, which will clean up the sound AND improve technique.
Last edited by Gu1T@r_H3r0 at Jul 23, 2013,
Quote by Gu1T@r_H3r0
More distortion will just cover up sloppy technique. If anyone actually read OPs post you would note that he knew to work on his technique, and was asking how to get the clearer tone from the link provided. Like I said, less distortion, which will clean up the sound AND improve technique.

I agree, although sometimes it's good to play clean as well. Clean allows you to hear things that you wouldn't hear with distortion and vice versa. For example, yes, distortion can hide a lack of picking definition, but playing clean can hide a lack of muting abilities.
baab