I read on reddit about this guy making about 50K in a year doing just this. He goes to thift stores and charities and then sells what he got on Ebay.

Sounds kinda douche baggy, but shiiiiieeet if it's 99 cents...

Imagine you find a Nike shirt for 2 dollars, sell it for 10 dollars, spend 3 dollars on delivery (shit man I dunno how much postage costs) and that's 5 dollars in your pocket.

I wouldn't mind trying this if it means an extra 500 in your pocket every month.

Wadda'yall think?
Sure, occasionally someone will make a significant amount of money doing it, but generally you're making less than minimum wage when you break down how much you're making against the time spent going round all the thrift stores, making ebay listings, paying ebay/paypal fees etc.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
You have to actually know what you're doing. You'll need to be able to properly appraise which items you could easily resell for a profit that makes the time and effort worth it.
A friend of mine does this for a living. So does his mum. Both doing really well for themselves.
Quote by progdude93
You have to actually know what you're doing. You'll need to be able to properly appraise which items you could easily resell for a profit that makes the time and effort worth it.

Correct.

But the only way to get good at that I'd say. If you have the time and money to do it and can afford to make mistakes that is.
I want to know which ones he goes to. All the ones around me are filled with worthless half broken 20+ year old shit. Never any diamonds in the rough.
Quote by Wormholes
I want to know which ones he goes to. All the ones around me are filled with worthless half broken 20+ year old shit. Never any diamonds in the rough.

Where do you live? I imagine that the closer you are to a big population, the higher the chances of said diamonds.
it relies too heavily on your purchased goods actually reselling, half the time they wont

it's ok for a bit of extra cash in the pocket, but i wouldnt go out of the way for it, too much effort for too little reward, and you'd best have some extra storage space around unless you dont mind clutter
Don't see what's wrong with it. The thrift shop still gets their money, and it just shows there are people gullible enough to buy stuff off the internet and not realise they could get it heaps cheaper at the local op-shop
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
The thrift stores in Amsterdam, atleast, are very aware of whatever they sell since hipsters figured it was the cool thing to buy. With ebay, and the internet in general, it is very difficult to find someone who'll part with any item much below its worth.
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
Quote by So-Cal
with ebay and paypal fees you'd be lucky to make any profit at all

True that. That's what the guy had mentioned, but he said he still managed to make bank.

I think it all depends. I can imagine some exotic things like a specific brand jacket in XXL might sell for good cash by some dude in Australia.

It's probably a luck thing, I don't know.
Quote by Philip_pepper
True that. That's what the guy had mentioned, but he said he still managed to make bank.

I think it all depends. I can imagine some exotic things like a specific brand jacket in XXL might sell for good cash by some dude in Australia.

It's probably a luck thing, I don't know.

That guy "made bank" because he was either extremely knowledgable about what he was buying, or he got lucky.

And the knowledgable thing only goes so far, so the smart money is on "he got lucky"
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
All the charity shops near me have learned to check out ebay/amazon for anything that seems like it might be worth something. I only really go in the for used books and most of the time, it'd be a little cheaper buying it on amazon at 1p + £2.30 postage.

It's a bit douchey though. When ever you see a story in the papers about someone who bought something worth a ton from charity shop, there is always a bit about how they split the money the make with the store in the end.

From selling my used stuff on amazon/ebay, I can see how you can make a profit, but you gotta do a lot of sales because the margins are pretty awful.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
How is it douchey? A few friends of mine used to work for Goodwill, and they would regularly put out items for a few dollars that were worth significantly more. They generally know that they're doing it, and they don't care. A few times they would even point out to the manager(s) that an item was fairly valuable, but they would still tell them to price it cheaply more often than not.

I see nothing wrong with finding a great deal, and turning a profit on it.
Well, generally the intention when you give stuff to charity, any money that can be made from the items will go to the charity in question. If I have, say, a bunch of old but wearable clothes, if I donate them, ideally I'm thinking 'that cancer/poverty/etc cause will hopefully get some money off my donation'

I know in practice, it's just that it's all stuff you want to get rid of but don't want to go to waste and you really don't give a shit who makes money off of it, soas long as it's out of your home. However, someone else besides the charity making a profit off of it and not even making a thankful gesture towards the charity by splitting their profits, pisses all over the principles behind donating to charity.

I don't know if your 'goodwill' stores work differently to our 'charity' stores though.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by daytripper75
How is it douchey?

It's like taking gifts from an old senile woman. You're getting a great deal because someone didn't know better and you're taking advantage of that.

That's fine if it's just some normal dude, but doing it to a charity is a bit of a dick move.
They don't really have charity-shops with anything of any value, so I'd have to go to a regular thrift shop to do this, which is good because it removes any moral problems.

a friend and I once picked up a broken Les Paul Studio for 80 euros, fixed it up for another 30. Resulted in a relatively new guitar that functioned perfectly for around 1/5th of its price. It pays off to go full Macklemore at times.
As has been said, obviously you need to know a good amount about what will sell and what won't, and unfortunately also (in the UK at least) I've noticed recently charity shops hiking the prices.

You can sometimes find decent stuff that would sell for more, but usually you're looking at only a few quid more (especially as the buyer has to pay postage too, which they'll take off what they'd be willing to pay for the item), and the amount of time it actually takes going out searching and making listings, and then packing and posting if you sell, actually adds up to more than you might think. If you've got a high turnover of stock you might make some money, but that takes more time and initial cash injection than you might really want to bother with.

If this guy says he's making 50k, he needs to be making about $135 per day (including weekends), which I find hard to believe. Imagining about $20 pure profit on every item (which unless you've got good quality designer stuff is unlikely), he needs to be turning over about 6-7 items per day.
there's nothing wrong with it really but I think it's kinda dickish.

nb: i've never actually been to a thrift shop
cat
I used to do this with video games and musical gear. The problem recently is the thrift stores just said **** it and are selling everything for insain high prices. They want $9-10 for their shirts when I can get shit new for $2-4 at Pacsun.

I remember a store had a CIB Pokemon gameboy and they wanted $1000 for it. When it didn't sell they took it out of the box and wrote a price on it.....
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
I've got a friend who does this.

He's basically a bum at age 24, still living with his parents.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
I've got a friend who does this.

He's basically a bum at age 24, still living with his parents.

My hero.
My roommates and I bought a fold out couch/bed from a Salvation Army store for $3.00 when we were in college. I still can't believe we slept in that thing and never caught a disease.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

You can sell your worn dress socks on ebay. Sometime they'll pay you and just ask for pictures of your feet. Then, you'll make $15 and not even have to send the socks.

#truestory
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I buy books at thrift stores, nice hard back ones for fifteen cents. The used bookstore sells the same ones for 6-8 bucks. So I see how you could make a decent profit.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
It's definitely douchey depending on the place. For example, I know that people donate clothes to Goodwill, even suits and dress shirts and the like, so that people who otherwise couldn't afford them can stop wearing rags. I see some harm in breaking that system to make a quick buck.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by Toadvine
I buy books at thrift stores, nice hard back ones for fifteen cents. The used bookstore sells the same ones for 6-8 bucks. So I see how you could make a decent profit.

I've found quite a few books at thrift stores that were in perfect condition, and worth a lot more (even used) than what I paid for. I could probably make a few bucks if I sell a part of my book collection actually.
Quote by AeroRocker
It's definitely douchey depending on the place. For example, I know that people donate clothes to Goodwill, even suits and dress shirts and the like, so that people who otherwise couldn't afford them can stop wearing rags. I see some harm in breaking that system to make a quick buck.

Most of the places around me marked up their stuff to almost new prices......
I don't resell stuff from the Children's Hospital thrift stores but that's about it. The rest are for profit.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab