I have a Squier Affinity Series Telecaster that I'm looking to get a different sound out of. I like to play '80s rock like Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Scorpions, etc, but the stock pickups I have in right now aren't cutting it. I don't want to heavily modify it to fit a full-size humbucker, and I heard that the single-coil sized humbuckers work very well. I was wondering what a good model would be. My budget is about $75-$100 per pickup.
It's probably because you're playing an Affinity. What amp are you using?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
New amp.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Well your guitar is going to sound a hell of a lot better with a new amp. Conversely, even the best pickups will not sound very good on a Frontman 15G (I should know, I used to have one back in the day...) If you are still not happy with your sound after getting a new amp then by all means get back to us.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jul 22, 2013,
Quote by maddog61
That's what I'm planning on doing soon.

You can put your pickup money toward a new amp. If you really need a higher output single coil or a rail, you can always put in GFS pickups. I wouldn't drop too much money into an Affinity.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
^+1

I have the GFS Lil' Punchers hot lead pickups in a Tele build I did and they are a fine pickup set and the set is the price of 1 Seymour Duncan/Dimarzio.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
^+1

I have the GFS Lil' Punchers hot lead pickups in a Tele build I did and they are a fine pickup set and the set is the price of 1 Seymour Duncan/Dimarzio.

I've also owned a set of those with a coil tap. I was playing through a less than good amp but they're good pickups. I've used a guitar with Crunch Rails as well and they're pretty good. Thinking about getting some myself.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Would the Peavey Ultra 112 be considered a "good amp?" Because that's what I'm currently planning on getting.
Quote by maddog61
Would the Peavey Ultra 112 be considered a "good amp?" Because that's what I'm currently planning on getting.

Yes, Have you heard of the Peavey JSX/XXX/XXX II/3120? It is what those amps are based on. The Ultra was the original design that those amps came from. They are really great amps, and they are built very well (and made in the USA).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I searched for the GFS Lil' Punchers. It said that it had coil-splitting, but I don't have push-pull pots on my Telecaster. Would that affect the performance in any way?
Quote by maddog61
I searched for the GFS Lil' Punchers. It said that it had coil-splitting, but I don't have push-pull pots on my Telecaster. Would that affect the performance in any way?

Nope. Just don't connect those wires if I'm understanding it correctly.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
No it just means that you have the ability to coil-split them if you want. I use mine as humbuckers only.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by maddog61

I've had one of those for nearly the past 10 years, and yes, they are good amps.
EH