I'm about to buy Fender Standard Stratocaster (Mexican) and I was wondering if you can tune it to Drop D without a problem ?

Thanks!
Quote by Bassface7
Yep, no problem at all.

I've been told you have to take it to a set-up to make it capable of Drop D...

Are you 100% sure?
It's one string down one step. You don't need a setup for that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
It's one string down one step. You don't need a setup for that.

So what I need setup for ?

how about half step back ? do I need setup for that ?
You would need a setup if your strings were too high or low, if you are experiencing fret buzz, or if you were changing your guitar's tuning radically- for example, from standard (EADGBE) to my personal favorite alt-tuning, New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You don't need any setups my $100 fender starcaster can tune as low as drop c last time a checked. poor guitar never gets played any more :'(
u should be fine i've tuned half a step down then drop d, i think maybe once or twice i went a whole step done and it was ok if i recall correctly on my mexican start no problem
There's a bit of an issue using alternate tunings such as drop D with strats if you have the trem set to float, because when you tune down the E string, it causes the bridge to pull back a little making all the other strings go sharp, and a bit of fine-tuning is required before you get it in tune.

so, what people mean when they say the guitar needs to be set up, is the trem needs to be set up so that it's resting against the body so it can't pull back any more.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I've tuned mine to ostrich tuning (C#C#C#C#c#c#) without much of a problem...you should be fine.