I just recently purchased a Mesa Boogie Road King 2 head and a Bogner 2x12 cabinet.

I'm recording some demo's and I'm running into a bit of a problem where in order to get the tone I want, I need to turn up the amp to the point where it irritates others in my apartment building. Is there any way I can isolate the cabinet with some sort of makeshift sound proofing to get the tone I want without offending my neighbours?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
Maybe look into an attenuator?
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Sit the cab up on something so it's not resting on the ground then surround it with these things, with bed covers draped over them? That should dampen a bit of the sound.

Quote by whoomit
smoke weed chill an watvch rugrats errday
An ISO cab might work... A 112 might sound a little boxy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Go somewhere else if you can.

Do you need it really loud just for demos?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Isolation box is the solution. Used a lot in home studios. Attenuator is another but it can affect your tone a bit.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
When I lived in apartment complex I had to do an iso room, in my case it was from top matress and a few big couch pillows.

You can get an attenuator or iso cab.

Check with the neighbors and get an idea if you can record at a certain hour when it won't be a problem, i.e. they'd be out of the house.

Reamping is your friend.

It is possible for you to hire an hourly rehearsal studio in your area in their downtime so thee is no bleed from others. Our local ones go for $25-$30 per hour but if you get them during their off hours they usually give you a discount.
I'm sure you won't want to hear this but amplitube or guitar rig will fix all your problems.

I know it won't be as good as the sound you get from your amp but if it's just for a demo, you can tweak it to something good enough.... And recording from an amp and then tweaking it so it sounds EXACTLY like you want is going to be just as difficult
Quote by diabolical
Not true if you know what you're doing.

That's true of everything from heart surgery to rocket science.

The point of this thread is finding the best solution for the thread starter so he can have the best sound for his demo and not piss off his neighbors.

A plugin is a lot simpler than dragging an isolation box in your appartment.
An Iso-cab is the only good solution I can think of. Jet City has the cheapest I have seen new, but it comes with the Jet City Eminence speaker, so a swap would be in order. But used it is a great deal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
An Iso-cab is the only good solution I can think of. Jet City has the cheapest I have seen new, but it comes with the Jet City Eminence speaker, so a swap would be in order. But used it is a great deal.

Randall had one for 230 with a V30.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Jul 22, 2013,
What you need is a new home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks everyone for the input! I have tried using VST plug-ins and amp simulation programs but I could never get a sound I was happy with. Since I want to use the Bogner speaker cab I picked up I think my best choice would be to go for an attenuator. I found a good one made by Rivera, now it's just a matter of saving up for it.

Again thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
The Bad Cat Unleashed is a really good attenuator and I would suggest it over most others in their price range.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Are you sure it is the power tubes that needs to be pushed harder that makes your sound lacking?
Keep in mind that the speaker will need to be pushed as well in order for it to sound the best.
What I am trying to say is that an attenuator might not give you the sound you want either if you're not pushing the cab... try before you buy.
Recording at low volume also lets a lot of other lower volume sounds sneak into your recordings fyi ( clocks, traffic, wind, people walking in a neighbouring apartment, random noises that you probably don't think about etc...)

Secondly, I have to agree with the guy above who said "reamping is your friend".

It is invaluable that you can do take over take with neighbour friendly volume until you get everything right in your recording.
After that, it's just a matter of finding a good time of the day when your neighbours are okay with you recording at high/moderate volume. Press record, and wait until you've reamped your good DI tracks.
For a normal track I don't see you needing more than 15-20 mins of high volume...and if your neighbours can't deal with that...well screw them... that's not your problem.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Are you sure you're not "trying to push a square peg through a round hole"?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20