I'm looking for an RG, but I don't know what model to decide. I think I'm looking for a model from 2000 onwards so it isn't too dinged up when I buy it, new or used for $600. I'm looking for an HSH, solid finish and with a pickguard.

I've looked at Rg350DX, RG350 EXZ, RG350M, RG450DX, and RG1550 models. Basically, the 1550 is most expensive, but I want to know if there is too much of a difference (Playability, wood quality, neck quality) between what I listed that would make one model worth getting over the other?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
1550 or 1570 (or if you're looking at them before they were prestiges, also 550 or 570). trems are way better, and they're made in japan. it's a no-brainer.

I have a feeling that the 2003 470 had an edge pro (and it was made in japan), so it'd be worth considering, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll just weigh in here. I have an RG370DX with the Edge III. It was my first guitar, and it was not a wise choice. As for what you get by going more expensive, I got a RG921QMF at a killer price from Guitar Center (I matched it to Ken Stanton's price), and it feels, sounds, and looks massively better than my 370. Of course, the 921 doesn't have any of the primary parts you listed (It has no single coil and no pickguard, and is fixed bridge), but as far as getting your money's worth, I am very happy with it. So that's my two cents, hopefully it wasn't too boring or pointless.
The 1550 is a huge outlier in that group... and it's by far the best one. If a 1550 is on the table, I really wouldn't even think about the others.

Stay far away from anything with an Edge III.

The Edge Zero II seems to be holding up pretty well so far, but any trem on a Prestige model will still be a lot nicer (Edge Zero, Edge Pro, etc.).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Other than the trems, is there any other reason the 1550's a better pick?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Much better build quality than a MIK 350. Also I think they come with DiMarzios stock so you won't have to swap the pups (citation very much needed). But the quality difference, it's like comparing an Epiphone to a Gibson.

Although the 4xx is mid-tier, and used to be MIJ, so if it's an older MIJ one and you don't have the money for a 1550, that may be alright. But 1550s are far superior.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Jul 22, 2013,
Quote by jjfeu662
Much better build quality than a MIK 350. Also I think they come with DiMarzios stock so you won't have to swap the pups (citation very much needed). But the quality difference, it's like comparing an Epiphone to a Gibson.

Although the 4xx is mid-tier, and used to be MIJ, so if it's an older MIJ one and you don't have the money for a 1550, that may be alright. But 1550s are far superior.

The rg1550 has the v7/v8 humbuckers, which are not overly good. The 1550 is head and shoulders above the others in term of quality and playability.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
The rg1550 has the v7/v8 humbuckers, which are not overly good. The 1550 is head and shoulders above the others in term of quality and playability.

The IBZ Vintage pups are way better than Infinity ones. But yeah, 1550 is godly compared to the mortal 350.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Regardless, I think I will be switching pickups (certainly the middle). Thanks for the input, looks like the 1550 is the way to go.
People use the middle pickups on Ibanez guitars? Whaaaaat? I'm about to order some single coil pickup covers and rip all my middles out :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Other than the trems, is there any other reason the 1550's a better pick?

yeah it's made in japan and is just made way better. also should come with a hardshell case.

Quote by jjfeu662

the 4xxs are actually really nice guitars (probably not quite as nice as the 550/570/1550/1570- they don't have the classic wizard neck profile, but are still pretty nice), but are let down by the trem.

Quote by jjfeu662
The IBZ Vintage pups are way better than Infinity ones. But yeah, 1550 is godly compared to the mortal 350.

true but they're still pretty mediocre.

and agreed
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?