I'm still not quite sure what to make of this...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/06/15/155106232/the-karl-marx-mastercard-is-here-it-needs-a-tagline

The German bank Sparkasse Chemnitz recently launched a Karl Marx credit card. The bank let people vote online for 10 different images, and Marx was the "very clear winner," beating out a palace, a castle and a racetrack, among others. Reuters has more on the story. The card, obviously, needs a tagline. Post your suggestions in the comments, or tweet them with the tagline #marxcard. We'll post our favorites here.
Communism killed millions of people but I guess Germany has experience with killing millions of people anyway
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Stupid on so many levels.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by bradulator
Communism killed millions of people but I guess Germany has experience with killing millions of people anyway

Are we blaming deaths on the claimed ideologies of the those that allowed them to die now? Because if so the Brits might want to take Darwin off the tenner.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by bradulator

+1
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
It is in East Germany, hardly surprising.

Hell, Chemnitz used to be called Karl-Marx-Stadt.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by macashmack
Lol that is funny.

+1
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by bradulator

implying yurop and merica didn't kill even more for no apperant reasons
Quote by AmirT
implying yurop and merica didn't kill even more for no apperant reasons

Now that's kind of silly. At most, atomic bombings on Japan killed 250,000 people while the most conservative estimate pins Pol Pot at killing 1 million people (but likely 2 or 3 times that amount). Even if you tally up all of the incidental deaths in clashes that the US just happened to be peripherally involved in (things like the Angolan civil war) you still wouldn't come close to the effectiveness of communist murder machines. That said, Marx had nothing to do with those murders and was long dead before any one those things happened.

Europe, sure, you've got all the crazy religious wars, but that's also over the course of two millennia. You have to cut things off around the turn of the 20th century.

And how come nobody remembers Engels?
"And how come nobody remembers Engels?"

He's going to be on the Discover card because he'll never be #1
Quote by bradulator

Not as much as Britain or the US, but we try!
Quote by Rossenrot
the death toll of Communism

What on earth are you talking about?
Quote by badfish_lewis
"And how come nobody remembers Engels?"

He's going to be on the Discover card because he'll never be #1

Poor guy.

Quote by willT08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTsXHXMkJA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Jul 22, 2013,
Quote by ExDementia
I'm loving irony here. The founder of communism's face on what may as well be the symbol of capitalism -- the credit card.

It was probably voted in for that very reason, and that is hilarious.

So I guess you'll still be keeping your Capitalist 1 card in your wallet?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I can't believe you're all concerned about this right now.
Obama just announced to stop deportation of illegal immigrant children.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by willT08

Stalin was the perfect example of communism and atheism, haven't you heard?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by snipelfritz
Now that's kind of silly. At most, atomic bombings on Japan killed 250,000 people while the most conservative estimate pins Pol Pot at killing 1 million people (but likely 2 or 3 times that amount). Even if you tally up all of the incidental deaths in clashes that the US just happened to be peripherally involved in (things like the Angolan civil war) you still wouldn't come close to the effectiveness of communist murder machines. That said, Marx had nothing to do with those murders and was long dead before any one those things happened.

Europe, sure, you've got all the crazy religious wars, but that's also over the course of two millennia. You have to cut things off around the turn of the 20th century.

And how come nobody remembers Engels?

The USA killed over a million Vietnamese and a couple of hundred thousand Cambodians in the Vietnam war.

Quote by Rossenrot
Here's a voice of reason. I've seen estimates of the death toll of Communism at over 94 million in the 20th century alone.

Wow, you've seen an estimate? I guess that means it really happened.

And why say "in the 20th Century alone"? It was invented halfway through the 19th and we've only been in 13 years of the 21st, and fuck all has happened involving "communism".

Quote by bradulator

...What was the point of that post?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Jul 22, 2013,
Quote by Meths
The USA killed over a million Veitnamese and a couple of hundred thousand Cambodians in the Vietnam war.

What?
Quote by Meths
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War#Casualties

What did you think the death toll was?

The link you gave clearly states that the total communist losses were somewhere between 450,000 and 1,100,000. For the US to have killed over 1 million Vietnamese people they would have had to make almost all of the kills (which wasn't the case) and the highest estimate would have to be the accurate one (which is somewhat unlikely).
Uh oh, the commies are getting angry. Better hope they don't kill me!
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Todd Hart
The link you gave clearly states that the total communist losses were somewhere between 450,000 and 1,100,000. For the US to have killed over 1 million Vietnamese people they would have had to make almost all of the kills (which wasn't the case) and the highest estimate would have to be the accurate one (which is somewhat unlikely).

That figure excludes the dead in South Vietnam. It becomes a bit more reasonable when you don't forget that the US didn't only kill people from North Vietnam.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/628478/Vietnam-War

You can also make an argument that the US is responsible for all of the casualties given that they bear most of the responsibility for starting it.

Quote by bradulator
Uh oh, the commies are getting angry. Better hope they don't kill me!

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by DanRev
lolamericans

lolthisidiotdoesntknowthatgermanyisineurope
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
nevr forget

ps i love americans, my favourite ones are the germans
Last edited by DanRev at Jul 22, 2013,
Seeing that credit card I can't stop tinking about that old Lenin quote about how "The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them".

Using good old Karl to sell credit cards is stupid and a little tasteless although one has to appreciate the irony. Just like all those people who make good money selling Che Guevara merchandise.
It always just seemed to me that the ideals of Marx and Engels, just like those of the Enlightened thinkers such as Voltaire, have been butchered and forgotten through their revolutions, the symbolism they implied twisted and propagated in favour of a tyrannic majority. Distinction though is that communism became tyrannic under Stalin rather than Lenin. So what if the Russian Terror was delayed by a couple of years.

But this is one of the most extreme cases of irony I've ever had the privilege to read. Marx's face on a credit card ? Begs the question, who's the bitch in this relationship ?
Last edited by Lord_Doku at Jul 22, 2013,
Quote by Meths
That figure excludes the dead in South Vietnam. It becomes a bit more reasonable when you don't forget that the US didn't only kill people from North Vietnam.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/628478/Vietnam-War

You can also make an argument that the US is responsible for all of the casualties given that they bear most of the responsibility for starting it.

Wow I didn't know people died in war!! Tell me more!!
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by Regicollis
Seeing that credit card I can't stop tinking about that old Lenin quote about how "The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them".

Using good old Karl to sell credit cards is stupid and a little tasteless although one has to appreciate the irony. Just like all those people who make good money selling Che Guevara merchandise.

It was probably an organised poll-jacking.

Quote by Lord_Doku
It always just seemed to me that the ideals of Marx and Engels, just like those of the Enlightened thinkers such as Voltaire, have been butchered and forgotten through their revolutions, the symbolism they implied twisted and propagated in favour of a tyrannic majority. Distinction though is that communism became tyrannic under Stalin rather than Lenin. So what if the Russian Terror was delayed by a couple of years.

But this is one of the most extreme cases of irony I've ever had the privilege to read. Marx's face on a credit card ? Begs the question, who's the bitch in this relationship ?

1)Lenin wasn't blameless.
2)It doesn't beg a question, it raises a question. Not the same thing.
3)/pedantry.

Oscar Wilde