Ive never had a floyd rose, but i know that the seats and block in the floyd rose special are cheaper metal.
Can i easily switch out the floyd rose spevial with an original floyd rose without making any holes, or adding extra pieces. Basically im wondering how i would go about swapping the special for the original in my guitar. Thanks.
Wrong forum, this goes in either Electric Guitar or Guitar Building & Customising.

*reported*
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Or just switch the block and seats for after market ones, cheaper and more likely to work!
If you still want to change the whole thing then you will just have to look at the technical drawings of them both and see if they are the same.
Quote by cheesewheel123
Ive never had a floyd rose, but i know that the seats and block in the floyd rose special are cheaper metal.
Can i easily switch out the floyd rose spevial with an original floyd rose without making any holes, or adding extra pieces. Basically im wondering how i would go about swapping the special for the original in my guitar. Thanks.

Yes, you can swap them out. It's drop-out, drop-in.

Don't bother.

Chances are good that the whole thing will outlast you as is.

This is a '92 neck-through Samick Artist Edition Something or Other with a cheaptastic licensed Floyd on it. I've been waiting for it to crap out forever, and it has, as you can see, definitely been used. In fact, I've got a gold Schaller Original Floyd Rose sitting in a bubble pack on a shelf waiting for the day when it finally rolls over on me. It's been sitting there for about five years now.

If you're not Brad Gillis, chances are good that "Special" will last forever given some reasonable maintenance.

If you're really hankering to spend money on the Floyd, talk to Floyd Upgrades, tell them what your guitar is, and spend the bucks to get the biggest brass sustain block that your guitar will accommodate. About $40 plus ups and extras. Don't be buying that silly titanium thing they sell for $160 or so. It doesn't even sound that good.

http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66

Last edited by dspellman at Aug 2, 2013,
Quote by Pafiki
Or just switch the block and seats for after market ones, cheaper and more likely to work!
If you still want to change the whole thing then you will just have to look at the technical drawings of them both and see if they are the same.

The problem with that is that the knife edges of most FRS and LFR's are softer than that of OFR's aswell, and you can't swap knife edges.

If you want to upgrade your trem just get one of these OFR's and upgrade it once instead of upgrading everything on your FRS and then eventually having to buy a new one because your knife edges are completely FUBARed and your guitar won't hold a tuning at all.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Last edited by Viban at Aug 2, 2013,
Quote by Viban
The problem with that is that the knife edges of most FRS and LFR's are softer than that of OFR's aswell, and you can't swap knife edges.

If you want to upgrade your trem just get one of these OFR's and upgrade it once instead of upgrading everything on your FRS and then eventually having to buy a new one because your knife edges are completely FUBARed and your guitar won't hold a tuning at all.

Again, I heard this as well. And yet I've got two *very* cheap Floyd-alikes that should have done this years ago but haven't. I usually check my knife edges once a year and clean them up a bit (you do maintain your instruments, after all), and there's never been a problem, including with the one on the green guitar, above, which is approaching 22 years of pretty constant use now. Still flutters and everything.
Not every cheap look alike is equal, some aren't half bad, some are completely dismal at best.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by Viban
Not every cheap look alike is equal, some aren't half bad, some are completely dismal at best.

Since he's got a Floyd Rose Special (Korean made, I believe), I don't think that's likely to be an issue in the near future.