Genre: Rock - Think STP meets older Radiohead meets Pink Floyd

Budget - $1000-$2500. Less is always preferable.

Will be used for gigs and band practice only.

I don't need pristine cleans, but I do need something very dynamic that will go from thick and crunchy to a hairy clean when I play softer.

Tonewise I'm looking for something more on the British side of things. Something that has a bit of AC30 to is but a little sweeter and smoother.

Currently I'm using a Mesa Lonestar and while I love it, it doesn't fit that well into the band. The cleans are way too clean and the drive channel isn't particularly dynamic and struggles to cut through the mix.
Two Rock or a Matchless
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by icronic
Genre: Rock - Think STP meets older Radiohead meets Pink Floyd

Budget - $1000-$2500. Less is always preferable.

Will be used for gigs and band practice only.

I don't need pristine cleans, but I do need something very dynamic that will go from thick and crunchy to a hairy clean when I play softer.

Tonewise I'm looking for something more on the British side of things. Something that has a bit of AC30 to is but a little sweeter and smoother.

Currently I'm using a Mesa Lonestar and while I love it, it doesn't fit that well into the band. The cleans are way too clean and the drive channel isn't particularly dynamic and struggles to cut through the mix.

i tend to use either my orange OR50H or JTM45 clone for such applications. i think the JTM45 has punchier cleans but the orange has more gain on tap and it's easier to get good tones at lower volumes.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Robbgnarly
Two Rock or a Matchless

The few Two Rocks I've looked at are WELL out of my price range.

Which Matchless models would be worth looking at? I think I tried a Chieftain out and to me it sounded even more aggressive and raw than the AC30.
I bought two amps in the last month. First a Fender Mustang II, I wanted to learn about the guitar and computer thing going on. This amp is very cool and safe, I mean it is not about to break on a gig for a fair size gang. They mic they any way, and the people are too drunk to care it is just a #200.00 amp. I bought a Fender Blues Deluxe the new tube job. I love it, I think this is the amp for people who still give a shit.
Orange OR50, with your budget you can even get the custom shop model. It does exactly what you want imo.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
Icronic- I seem to remember you having a bunch of amps.

Can you list them so we don't get 20 replies with mark V? (I think you have one)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Hey icronic

3 words.

Splawn. Quick. Rod.

Quote by kevinpaul
I bought two amps in the last month. First a Fender Mustang II, I wanted to learn about the guitar and computer thing going on. This amp is very cool and safe, I mean it is not about to break on a gig for a fair size gang. They mic they any way, and the people are too drunk to care it is just a #200.00 amp. I bought a Fender Blues Deluxe the new tube job. I love it, I think this is the amp for people who still give a shit.

do wat?
Quote by R45VT
Icronic- I seem to remember you having a bunch of amps.

Can you list them so we don't get 20 replies with mark V? (I think you have one)

Should have done that in the first place. But I'm down to just the Lonestar and the Mark V at the moment.

We originally spent a lot of time working with the Mark V, but I never found a way to dial in a good low gain lead tone that wasn't incredibly stiff and had any decent amount of sustain. But that was a bit of a relief since I use it for another band in which it's much more suited to.

So yeah... No Marks. In fact let's say no Mesas at all. I've owned most of them at one point or another, I've loved them all, but they just wouldn't work.

Currently on the audition list:
Splawn Quick Rod
Bogner Ecstasy & Shiva 30th
Suhr Badger 30 ( If I can find one )

I expect the first two are a bit focused on high gain applications for this band. Although the Blue channel on the Ecstasy might do the trick.
^ I'd say the Quick Rod can do lower gain stuff well too. Maybe not as well as others but better than most people would expect. There are not a lot of low gain clips out there but here are a few:

Gregs1020 when he came over last year.

Clean channel:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10952014/Splawn%20Quick%20Rod%20clean%20by%20Gregs1020.mp3

Crunch
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10952014/Splawn%20Quick%20Rod%20clean%20by%20Gregs1020.mp3

Some lower gain stuff I've done:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/play604666
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/play809374
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/play734382
can you go head or cab? what configuration? do you have a wattage preference? 30 watts or you just like a vox tone?

up to 2500 opens a lot of doors...but im not sure what that means in aussie costs.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by icronic
... So yeah... No Marks. In fact let's say no Mesas at all. I've owned most of them at one point or another, I've loved them all, but they just wouldn't work.

Currently on the audition list:
Splawn Quick Rod
Bogner Ecstasy & Shiva 30th
Suhr Badger 30 ( If I can find one )

I expect the first two are a bit focused on high gain applications for this band. Although the Blue channel on the Ecstasy might do the trick.

You definitely need to check out the XTC, including the 20th Ann version which some prefer over the other versions. I still have GAS for the Shiva 20th .. I've seen some go for $1600!

BTW, have you checked out MB's Royal Atlantic? Different Clean from the LoneStar/RoadKing II.