So guys, I got my recording stuff like 2 days ago, and Ive never recorded before. So, I recorded a song I wrote and I wanted some opinions on it. This is just a bit of the song, not the whole thing so theres more. And ALSO, I know that the overdub guitar part in the chorus (which is the last bit of the song) is out of time because I didnt play with a click. So, tell me what you think of my first recording!

https://soundcloud.com/ewolford1/ying-yang-rodeo-sample
Quote by RazzleMCR1
And ALSO, I know that the overdub guitar part in the chorus (which is the last bit of the song) is out of time because I didnt play with a click.

And why not
Anyway, this sounds decent but generic, just like a lot of the stuff that gets posted on here. The riff around 1:10 is okay, if repetitive, but not much else is memorable in any way. I think there's bass? Is that what that clanging sound is? Because bass is mostly supposed to hold up the low end, not be an irritating clanky effect. There's not much else to say about this.
I listened through my studio monitors and noticed two things.

You really need to sort out of the fizz and even though two guitar are panned... they are next to impossible to differentiate and it all becomes a mess...

Also as Cav said... the riffs are kinda dull.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jul 22, 2013,
Eq-ing and less gain. You need far less than you think.

And you are using a cab impulse right?

Also reading this will probably help: http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Effects-Signal-Processors/How-to-Make-Amp-Sims-Sound-More-Analog/ba-p/34643372
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'm seconding less gain. If the Diablo Swing Orchestra can get a heavier tone than this with barely any gain, then you don't need to drown your guitars in an ocean of distortion. Although, part of that is just the lack of bass presence. Low-pass and high-pass the guitars. Low-passing will cut through the fizz and give them more definition, and high-passing will take care of the low-end mud, and give the bass the room it needs.
Remember, in metal, most of the "heavy guitar tone" actually comes from the bass.

Quote by mannnncho
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1610329

Could you guys review my recording to? it would be very helpfull for me, and I would ve very gratefull. thank you

No. This thread isn't about you. The least you could do is crit this one and ask a c4c.
I'm not sure you actually read Chem's advice about gain and fizz. Or mine about high-passing. Because there's not really any difference between this and the last one.

Here, take a listen at 1:15, when the bass comes in with that super-low slide. The really low frequencies, or the "sub bass" area, is the only part you hear. It's this super-low, doomy "bwoom" with no definition at all. That's where the bottom of the kick drum should be, not the bass. That doesn't make it sound heavier. It's barely even there. If you high-pass the guitars, the bass will be much clearer.

I appreciate that you redid the lead guitars with a metronome, though. That's a really important habit to get into.
Quote by RazzleMCR1
Actually, I EQed it different. I watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6PHzkPjH7c and I got his eq settings. But, Idk what to do now. :/

This is what I just did IRL:

You're not supposed to copy other people's EQ settings. They're custom-tailored to their guitar, their pickups, their amp, their amp settings (which likely aren't nearly as needlessly gainy as yours), their interface preamps, their cable, and their playing style. What you are supposed to do is use your ears and adjust it until it sounds right. The last part is what's most important.
Well, Im just going to use that as something to start from. I like the tone, its just the fizz gets in the way. ll keep messing with the shelving to get rid of it. Thank you for helping though!