Things You'll Need;
-6ft Dual End Audio Cable (3.5 mm on both ends)
-Guitar Amplifier with 3.5 mm Headphone Adapter/Outlet
-1/4 inch Guitar Cable
-Electric Guitar (DUH?!?)
-A Computer with 3.5 mm Microphone Adapter/Outlet
-Audacity (v 1.17 or newer)

1. Plug one end of the Dual End Audio Cable into the Headphone Outlet on your Amplifier
2. Plug the other end into your Microphone Outlet on your PC/Laptop/etc.
3. Plug your guitar into your amp with the 1/4 inch Guitar Cable
4. Startup Audacity
5. Click "edit" then go into "preferences"
6. There should be a recording/input tab, and select "line in" or "audio input" and choose "realtech hd audio" or something along those lines...
7. Make sure your amp volume is high enough you can hear your playing through the PC speakers
8. Click "record" and play whatever... Do what you want for now...
Rock N' Roll isn't just a genre of music. It's a way of life. If you fall; get the hell up, brush off, and keep rockin!
Noop. Sounds awful. Spend $40 on a Behringer Guitar Link for 20x better results.

EDIT: Here's what it sounds like your way

https://soundcloud.com/jjfeu662/bewitched
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Jul 22, 2013,
Wtf did i just listen to...

If you're gonna knock the guy, at least play something that sounds remotely like a guitar riff...that just sounded like you were strumming random strings

If you are set on recording without a microphone-get a usb interface and amp modeling software.
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by chrisg7

If you are set on recording without a microphone-get a usb interface and amp modeling software.

+1 to this.

From the Recordings sub-forum:

Quote by ChemicalFire
THINGS TO AVOID

(Invalid img)

This, you don't want this. You may think you want this, other people may tell you that you want this, but they are wrong. You do not want this, this is bad, this makes kittens cry and melts ice cream, I have it on good authority that Hitler used a Jack to Mic input converter to record his guitar.

Some people may claim to get decent results with this, and they may do, but it's really not worth the trouble. You'll have latency issues, noise issues, terrible quality, nothing good will come of it, there have even been reports of this method breaking the mic port on your PC, it simply wasn't designed for it. IF YOU POST ON THIS FORUM ASKING FOR HELP WITH A MIX WHILST USING THIS METHOD YOU WILL NOT GET A RESPONSE. This is not to be cruel or heartless, there is just genuinely nothing we can do in order to make this method sound good. Normally people only get this to work through hard work and luck, neither of which we can teach you.

What's it for?
- Throwing at people you don't like
- Accidentally blowing the mic port on your PC

What's it not for?
- Anything else

Super Budget

Behringer - GUITAR LINK UCG102

Let me get this out off the bat, this thing is cheaper, super cheap, it's about as cheap as you can get, if you have any sense you will not buy this... unless you REALLY REALLY have to. It works, it'll get the guitar into your computer but it wont sound as good as more expensive models and it wont do much else.

What's it for?
- Recording an instrument input
- Demoing or Rough Recordings

What's it not for?
- Recording microphones
- Recording high quality audio
- Recording your first EP
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
Quote by chrisg7
Wtf did i just listen to...

If you're gonna knock the guy, at least play something that sounds remotely like a guitar riff...that just sounded like you were strumming random strings

I was demonstrating how crappy that setup was, admittedly the playing was sloppy: I'd only learned that song 5 minutes before playing. I'll re-record with better playing when I feel like it.

The point is that I'd strongly suggest not using the headphone jack.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Get something like iRig, or the Line 6 Mobile In (Or whatever the new equivalent is called), hook it up to your iphone/pod/pad and export it to Garageband or Amplitube, whatever you have/can afford, and you're done.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Legitimately no.

A thousand times no.

Let me repeat that.

NO.

This sounds bad and can blow your mic port. Just get a decent interface (seriously, they're like $200. It's completely worth it) and record with that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Oh dear...

And that sound cloud clip..
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
Legitimately no.

A thousand times no.

Let me repeat that.

NO.

This sounds bad and can blow your mic port. Just get a decent interface (seriously, they're like $200. It's completely worth it) and record with that.
This. We have a whole sticky over in Recordings to stop people making the mistake you are making.

Please don't do it anymore. You will make people's ears bleed and possibly damage your computer.

Go read the sticky and learn something.

And PLEASE stop trying to give advice until you know what you're talking about.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by jjfeu662
Noop. Sounds awful. Spend $40 on a Behringer Guitar Link for 20x better results.

EDIT: Here's what it sounds like your way

https://soundcloud.com/jjfeu662/bewitched

yeeeeeeah.... turn the gain down in Audacity after you record... forgot to put that in...
Rock N' Roll isn't just a genre of music. It's a way of life. If you fall; get the hell up, brush off, and keep rockin!
Quote by itzkpanda
+1 to this.

From the Recordings sub-forum:

I thought the adapter helped- it F*CKS up your sound... Besides, so long as you don't BLAST the volume on your input in Audacity, or tur your amp up ALL THE WAY you should get an honest recording of what your playing sounds like. I suggest wearing headphones plugged into your headphone plug of your computer... Keep the master volume at 75%, and if your amp is 15 W or higher, keep that at about 4 (with distortion) same volume for clean... you just won't hear it as well... you get unwanted gain if your input levels are too damned high... thus why in the sound clip, you hear the crappiest extra-gain I've ever heard...

I don't think I know everything, I just found a method that works; and wanted to see if others use that method, or want to record that way... I honestly don't see how you can blow a mic. port... unless you use a GIANT FRIGGIN AMP at FULL VOLUME...

I don't USE the 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm adapter! It is a headphone output plug that you can plug a 3.5 mm cable into... and the other end into your mic. port on your computer...
Last edited by RoKHED at Jul 23, 2013,
This has been covered a bunch in the correct forum. This method is basically the worst option there is for sound quality. The only thing it's got going for it is that it's free and that it does in some form record your guitar.

The fact that you're not using a 1/4 to 3.5 adapter doesn't mean anything. It's not the adapter that's the problem, it's the computer's mic input.