Hi guys,
I need opinions on this setup please for rock, metal and the occasional bit of jazz.
I'm looking at getting an EVH 5150III 50watt, and to run it through an orange PPC212 cab. I have a Les Paul classic custom, and decent effects, including overdrive and EQ.
Will this sound good, great or am i better looking at something else as an alternative? (for me this adds up to around £1300, and I live in the UK, so no Mesa etc.)
Thanks
The EVH should be able to handle your needs just fine. I tested the 100w version and its quite awesome.

In the spirit of keeping more options on the table, would you mind telling us what bands' tone you are after or comes close to what youre trying to do yourself? There may be better options if we have that info. As it stands i have no complaints for the 5153 for those genres at all.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
don't see why not (but i haven't tried the evh).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want to do a bit of jazz too, I'd suggest the ENGL Powerball II.

It goes for about €1500 used, and though it's (soooooo bloody friggin') complicated, its lead channel is as good as the 5153's - I actually like it better. Still, it has a really nice lead tone.

But its clean tones are way nicer from what I've heard.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Remnest

In the spirit of keeping more options on the table, would you mind telling us what bands' tone you are after or comes close to what youre trying to do yourself? There may be better options if we have that info. As it stands i have no complaints for the 5153 for those genres at all.

Anything from led zep to lamb of god. the closest band i want to get to though is somewhere between Iron Maiden and Metallica. ( I don't make it easy, I know )
i think that setup will be fine.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by TJWhonley
Anything from led zep to lamb of god. the closest band i want to get to though is somewhere between Iron Maiden and Metallica. ( I don't make it easy, I know )

The EVH will do great for your needs, id also check out a Mark IV used (LoG used the V) and that amp has ridiculous amounts of versatility. Another suggestion is to look into a Splawn QR. It can nail Thrash Metal tones all day.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
I can get all of that with my EVH 50 watt. If you're wanting use of all 3 channels live though, it may not be great. When you have the gain high and the volume low, there's a big jump on volume on the shared channel one/two.

With volume maxed out and using the gain control as volume, you don't really get this. It sounds louder because you're getting more distortion but that's natural. If you couple that in with an overdrive, it can be worked with to use the overdrive on channel two but turn it off for channel one.

Just bare that in mind. If you're not gigging and can take time to switch tones then I can't recommend it enough.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
The EVH can do it, but also remember the Peavey JSX it can do it as well

^^ I have heard that using the MIDI switching on the EVH 50 fixes the volume issue
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 22, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
^^ I have heard that using the MIDI switching on the EVH 50 fixes the volume issue

I heard this too but I don't care enough to try it. I didn't know until I got the amp and it's not a breaker for me as I haven't needed to use it live and won't need use of all three channels if I do need to use it live. Just wanted TS to be aware and I'll update if I can find any confirmation on this rumour of MIDI fixing the issue.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Remnest
The EVH will do great for your needs, id also check out a Mark IV used (LoG used the V) and that amp has ridiculous amounts of versatility. Another suggestion is to look into a Splawn QR. It can nail Thrash Metal tones all day.

I live in europe so mesa is a no-go, sorry
Quote by TJWhonley

If you're patient there are deals on Mesas over here, but admittedly few and not new. A mate of mine picked up a lonestar special for ~£7-800 when they were >£2k new. But that's rare.

From reputation alone the EVH should be a great match, but I've never played it. Orange make fantastic cabs, I can assure you of that. Bear in mind used gear often works out a lot cheaper - cabs can't really break either.
Quote by TJWhonley

My old guitar teacher picked up a Mark IV head for £700. its rare but not un heard of

Edit: Theres a few mesa combo's on ebay that would suit you if yo uwanted to go mesa. DC-5 for example
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Last edited by Carrot at Jul 23, 2013,
I had a 100w 5150 III for a year, & loved it. It will do everything you need. You can roll down the guitar volume for cleans (ish) even while using staggering amounts of gain. (I only sold the EVH because it was too big & heavy, & I also have an SLO 100 that does the same things basically. I'd still buy a 50W EVH in the future just for fun). The Mesa MkIV is a fairly temperamental amp that takes some skill & patience to dial in, whereas the EVH sounds great right out of the gate.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011