Hey guys

I just bought my laney cub, but there are a few things I would like done to it.

1st, is it possible to swap out the preamp tubes to 5751's from 12ax7? I heard 12at7 are actually not a direct replacement and it's not tre that any 12xxx tube will work properly. I'm looking to create more headroom in the amp, that's why I'm doing this.

2nd. The amp is quite muddy. I don't know if that's from bad tubes but will a tube change fix this, and if not, what do you guys do to dial it out? My cub has a celestion rocket 50 and not the HH speaker.

Tha is for your time guys
D101
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
1: probably, but don't quote me on that.

2: it could be the tubes. that speaker is renowned for being, er, shite, too, so i'd swap the speaker as a matter of urgency. that could well make a far bigger difference than tubes (unless the stock tubes really are terrible). What guitar and pickups are you using, too?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
1. YES A 5751 WILL WORK IN PLACE OF A 12AX7

2. I agree with Dave, the stock speaker sucks. Look into something like the Celestion G12h30, Hellatone 30, WGS Reaper, WGS Reaper HP, WGS Reaper 55Hz. All of these speakers are very similar and work well
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okay in term of a speaker upgrade, can I get a speaker if same impedance (8ohm) and just connect it the same way the stock speaker is?

What if the speaker is 16ohm?

I'll test out the tubes, tap them for rattles etc once I go home. Might ask the store for a tube change, as this was the demo model...

So the 5751's are a direct replacement with no damage done to the amp? The 12Axxx tubes are not? I've read that they are not but I just want verification.

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Last edited by Distortion_101 at Jul 23, 2013,
A 5751 is not a 12ax7, but it works like a 12ax7 only with 70%ish of the gain.

Just get a 8 ohm speaker, but as long as your amp has an ohms switch then you can use a 16/8/4 ohm speaker, just set it to the correct impedence.

And yes connect the speaker the same way
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Distortion_101
So the 5751's are a direct replacement with no damage done to the amp? The 12Axxx tubes are not? I've read that they are not but I just want verification.

Yea, a 5751 will work fine. I had thought that other 12Axxx tubes could be used as a direct replacement as well, they would probably be less than ideal in v1 though because their gain factor is so low.
There are 1 or 2 types of 12a-7 tubes that are not usable in place of a 12ax7 in some amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Just get a 8 ohm speaker, but as long as your amp has an ohms switch then you can use a 16/8/4 ohm speaker, just set it to the correct impedence.

And yes connect the speaker the same way

yup

the g12h30 and similar clones might not be a high enough wattage for the amp's 40 watts. would likely be safer to get one of the high-powered g12h30 speakers/clones.

what type(s) of music do you mainly play? also, what country do you live in? that affects (a lot) what speakers are available and prices...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
WGS Reaper HP 50 watt
Celestion Creamback 75 watt
Eminence Wizard 75 watt
Scumback H series

These are a few of the high power G12h30 speaker types.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
woops i got confused about which thread i was posting in. I thought this was the DSL combo thread. any of the g12h30s would be fine for a cub 12, in terms of wattage

But yeah we need to know what type of music will be played. g12h30s are pretty good all-rounders, but it still pays to match the speaker to the type(s) of music you'll be playing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well for music, I literally play everything, except heavy metal.

Preferably I would like a speaker that has good definition (no muddy chords) and a good all round sound. Don't want it tinny, would rather have it voiced to a more full with good bass response.

As for music styles, classic rock, hard rock, alternative too. So need good cleans and good overdriven tones

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
ok, thanks.

just to clarify, when you say you don't play heavy metal, do you mean you don't play the genre which is called heavy metal, or do you more generally mean you don't play anything too heavy/high gain? (I'm guessing the latter, but it doesn't hurt to check.)

when you say bass response, do you mean a tight bass or a bigger/chunkier/fatter bass? Again, I'm guessing the latter, but I might as well know for sure.

also what country do you live in? as i said, it affects prices and availability a lot... to the extent that a speaker that's great value and a good idea in the USA might be awful value and a terrible idea in the UK/Europe, and vice-versa
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 24, 2013,
Yeah I want a chunky bass as most heavy I'll go is Seether, Metallica, Chevelle etc but I like some punk rock too (Rise Against, Blink 182) and classic rock, ACDC, GNR etc. problem is I know the heavier stuff needs a tighter bass response and classic can do with a bigger sound.

As no heavy metal as a genre, I'll play one or two songs or songs that have metal elements (like alt stuff like Seether and Chevelle)

As for country, I'm in South Africa. Prices here are exorbitant and selection is rubbish most of the time... But you can order stuff, but prices remain poop...

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Last edited by Distortion_101 at Jul 25, 2013,
ah ok

i reckon a g12h30-style speaker might be the way to go... whichever you can get cheapest, kind of thing. eminence, celestion, wgs all make one (or several). So do tayden, weber, scumback etc. but i'm guessing they're going to be hard to come by in SA (and expensive if you do).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ive found some 2nd hand speakers that seem in great condition.

problem is its a V30 (not a bad thing) and its 16 Ohms (the stock speaker is 8 Ohms)

is there a way to plug that V30 into my cub with no damage?

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
If you have an ohms selector on the amp, yes. Switch it to 16 and hook the speaker up the same .
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
5751, 12AT7 and 12AY7 will work fine. 12AU7 will probably work too but I can't guarantee that.

And stick a greenback in it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 25, 2013,
^^ +1

^ if the prices in south africa are broadly similar to elsewhere, the eminence gb128 might be the cheapest way to get a greenback-style speaker. Not exactly the same, but in the same ballpark, and if anything it maybe handles the more modern tones slightly better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i havent heard of eminence speakers here (or a select few bring them in). I think celestions are the general "standard". ill try find cabs 2nd hand or speakers and buy that way

out of general curiosity, i might go swap out my cub for the Cub 12R, it works our cheaper as a reverb pedal costs half of what the amp does....

my question is, if you have tried them, the Rocket 50 vs the HH Driver. Which did you prefer?

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Last edited by Distortion_101 at Jul 27, 2013,
Quote by Distortion_101
i havent heard of eminence speakers here (or a select few bring them in). I think celestions are the general "standard". ill try find cabs 2nd hand or speakers and buy that way

my question is, if you have tried them, the Rocket 50 vs the HH Driver. Which did you prefer?

Eminence are USA made and from what most here say are a better value than celestions in a lot of the UK. But I am unaware of any stores in SA that carry them. SEGMA South Africa is the dealer in SA

I don't like either of those speakers IMO there is no better, they both suck
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 27, 2013,
I have the Cub10, which has a single extension cab output. It requires an 8/16 ohm load. I would suggest getting a closed back 1x12 or 2x12 cab & plug it in, this will mute the internal speaker. I re-tubed mine with JJ 12AX7 in the preamp and EH 6V6 in the power amp. Sounds much better than the stock cheapos in it. The closed back cab will give you more bass, and if it's got a good speaker/s in it, should be tighter bass too :-)
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Quote by Distortion_101

haven't tried either, but i think they both have the reputation of being not great, as robbgnarly said.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the same amp and similar thoughts. I mainly play classic-rock to hard-rock. I agree with the aforementioned regarding the Celestion G12H30 or WGS reaper. May need to try the two however since they are not very similar (the first being more middy and the second more ehnancing lows and highs). If I get you correctly I would suggest to go for the WGS.