Page 1 of 2
Hello folks,

I really would like to know about your opinion or maybe your experience.

Currently I am starting a band, and I have so much fun with the guys and we will have our own songs very soon. It is so great, it feels like my life is more complete with them. I even finally got my own drum set some weeks ago, with the help of a friend and band member.

BUT. The big problem is, I finished school, and also plan to go to college for 3 years, which will be far away from my band. But I feel like my life is going to be more awesome with the guys. I am 19 now and with 22 I would finish college.

That's why I am asking you, musicians. What would you do? Would you stay with the band or go educate yourself. And is 22 a bit to late for starting to experience touring, even just for gasmoney?
Music is such an untapped market there are almost no bands playing music today you're SURE to be successful way more so than is you were to go to college.
kolleg

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by PLAYCUBE
Hello folks,

I really would like to know about your opinion or maybe your experience.

Currently I am starting a band, and I have so much fun with the guys and we will have our own songs very soon. It is so great, it feels like my life is more complete with them. I even finally got my own drum set some weeks ago, with the help of a friend and band member.

BUT. The big problem is, I finished school, and also plan to go to college for 3 years, which will be far away from my band. But I feel like my life is going to be more awesome with the guys. I am 19 now and with 22 I would finish college.

That's why I am asking you, musicians. What would you do? Would you stay with the band or go educate yourself. And is 22 a bit to late for starting to experience touring, even just for gasmoney?
Really? This is even a question? School, silly
I was in your shoes, and I went to school. In a way, I regret it, as I still play in a band and we could be some much better and farther along had each of us not have commitments. You can always go back to school man. Just remember that.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Last edited by Rojam at Jul 22, 2013,
Why not both? Take afternoon classes, gig at night, then sleep all morning? What my old chemistry teacher did, and he has 4 degrees.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Do both if you got the time. Our drummer has been going to college for 2 years and has played every show besides one. He is also taking drum lessons at school and has shown some serious improvement in his playing. But he recently got a job because he won't have classes till fall again and he still down to play. So it's really up to you. Get shit done.
Marty Friedman+Jason Becker=Cacophony
Quote by PLAYCUBE
And is 22 a bit to late for starting to experience touring, even just for gasmoney?

22 is not too late...like some bands may not lift off til they're way old.
Do what you think's best, depending on how far you go to college you can always go back and jam with them now and then? Or start a new band at college?
Another thing, going to college/new places will also lead to new opportunities for both your career and your musical endeavours.
Quote by jjfeu662
Why not both? Take afternoon classes, gig at night, then sleep all morning? What my old chemistry teacher did, and he has 4 degrees.

Quote by megaluisdeth
Do both if you got the time. Our drummer has been going to college for 2 years and has played every show besides one. He is also taking drum lessons at school and has shown some serious improvement in his playing. But he recently got a job because he won't have classes till fall again and he still down to play. So it's really up to you. Get shit done

The problem is not the time, it is more the distance. I will be probably over 1000 km away from my band, if I go to college.
Maybe I could solve the problem my just going back on holidays to my town and proceed with the band, but I don't know if it is a good idea. I mean, I am young, I haven't done any crazy stuff in life, it was just always f*ckin' boring around. But now, I starting to have the feeling of completion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRX_MYLt4iw

That guy has some interesting points that you might want to hear. He has a lot of decent videos as well giving advice to people who ask questions about what to do with their life that you might also want to check out (I don't feel like finding them all).

In my own personal opinion, if you're going to school just because it's the "socially accepted" thing to do, and you're not truly interested in whatever subject you will major in, then don't go to University. It's going to be a huge waste of time, and the time you spend in school will either be wasted partying and getting drunk, or slaving over books trying to learn something you don't want to learn. Your life will suck.

If you decide not to go the school way, that doesn't mean you lay back and do nothing. Prepare to work just as hard as if you were in University to get yourself out there and find a means to provide for yourself. If you choose to get into the music industry, prepare to work hard to make ends meet. Don't think just because you're not going to school, you don't have to learn anymore. There are other ways to get educated other than in school, and you're going to have to learn a lot of things in order to find ways to make money (this can include starting a business, for example). You may be at a slight disadvantage since you won't have a degree to your name, but if you actually put the work in, then your experiences and achievements will more than make up for that. If you decide to go this route and not educate yourself through other means, your life will also suck.

That's just my opinion and advice though.
It kind of sounds like you'll be happier in the band...do you think there's a good compromise you could take so you're still at college but within a decent distance of your band?

EDIT: And that ^
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
22 is not too late...like some bands may not lift off til they're way old.
Do what you think's best, depending on how far you go to college you can always go back and jam with them now and then? Or start a new band at college?
Another thing, going to college/new places will also lead to new opportunities for both your career and your musical endeavours.

Yes, I had the same thought...well, guess I should finish my education first and then rock on.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
It kind of sounds like you'll be happier in the band...do you think there's a good compromise you could take so you're still at college but within a decent distance of your band?

EDIT: And that ^

Well, when I go to college, it should be with good education. In my town the education isn't so good and it doesn't fit well to me. I think I will proceed on holidays with the guys. That's the only compromise I can only think of.
Quote by raoooos

That person is someone, the identity of whom is driving me mad.

And why not go to a closer college, or move your band closer to you? Or make a new band there? I'd put more importance on education, but there's no way you can't do both.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Get a degree then go back to the band. That way, if your band fails, you can still get a decent job.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by jjfeu662

It's Tom Cruise.
Quote by PLAYCUBE
Well, when I go to college, it should be with good education. In my town the education isn't so good and it doesn't fit well to me. I think I will proceed on holidays with the guys. That's the only compromise I can only think of.

Yeah that's a good point. If you think the education is worth it and something you genuinely want to do go down that path. You'll still get to hang out and jam with your band in the future/in your holidays
Quote by zincabopataurio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRX_MYLt4iw

That guy has some interesting points that you might want to hear. He has a lot of decent videos as well giving advice to people who ask questions about what to do with their life that you might also want to check out (I don't feel like finding them all).

In my own personal opinion, if you're going to school just because it's the "socially accepted" thing to do, and you're not truly interested in whatever subject you will major in, then don't go to University. It's going to be a huge waste of time, and the time you spend in school will either be wasted partying and getting drunk, or slaving over books trying to learn something you don't want to learn. Your life will suck.

If you decide not to go the school way, that doesn't mean you lay back and do nothing. Prepare to work just as hard as if you were in University to get yourself out there and find a means to provide for yourself. If you choose to get into the music industry, prepare to work hard to make ends meet. Don't think just because you're not going to school, you don't have to learn anymore. There are other ways to get educated other than in school, and you're going to have to learn a lot of things in order to find ways to make money (this can include starting a business, for example). You may be at a slight disadvantage since you won't have a degree to your name, but if you actually put the work in, then your experiences and achievements will more than make up for that. If you decide to go this route and not educate yourself through other means, your life will also suck.

That's just my opinion and advice though.

Wow, thanks! Great video, really makes me to think right now!
People seem to think that going to college or getting educated means a swift, final death to your love for/ability to play music. I'm not completely sure where this idea came from, but I came in here to say that it's absolute crap.

It's not like school takes up 24 hours of your day, and if a man can work two jobs and still have time for a band, there's absolutely zero reason why you can't go to school and play in a band.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
If you are really asking that question, you're probably not smart enough for school anyway.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by bradulator
neither

You know whats so funny, I was thinking that. Honestly most people who make these threads don't understand the "choice" they are making and don't succeed in either

The heart is treacherous
The heart is music
The brain and real life are two different things
What seems like a logical career choice in 3 years might not be so logical

Not trying to be a depressive guy in his mid 20's, but the truth of the matter is this.

My personal advice, find something to believe in (Youth Brigade reference anyone?...nope probably not, most listen to what their parents listened to or abstract metal bands ) find yourself a good woman, and live a simple life and I love my life..maybe you will too...I don't know.... Dreamers fail, especially when they are 19 and are too lazy at this point to even find a medium to record something and put it on a medium tier website ( I love you UG Ive been here forever). If you truly were as motivated as you think you are, you would have done more by know in regards to actually doing more than what youve done. The truth of the matter is.........you're not good enough, you're not driven enough (because you wouldn't have asked this question in the first place to an internet forum unless you needed severe convincing) and the chances of being what the world considers something worthy enough to make a living doing music are slim to none, its not even funny.

EDIT: and honestly these rock stars are some of the most jaded, depressed people in the world you shouldn't strive to be them anyway...

Sorry to give you a real response instead one liners like everyone else but, ....put your head down, work hard, and at the end of the day be able to look back at your life and not be a piece of crap and have something to show for it. Be humble, be kind, and continue to play music and enjoy for what it is, not some sort of pipe dream, but a release.

Yerrrp
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Last edited by GoodCharloteSux at Jul 22, 2013,
Get the education, and take some music classes offered by your school. They will make you a better player
I'm in college, and play in an active band. I also have a part-time job, and keep a steady workout routine. Trust me, you can do a band and college at the same time. I would just start up another band at school, most likely your not going to get famous with any band you join. Point is goto college, find some good guys while there and start a band.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
banddd

cause they cant tell ya what to do
Quote by jjfeu662

And why not go to a closer college, or move your band closer to you? Or make a new band there? I'd put more importance on education, but there's no way you can't do both.

It's David James
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
22 is actually pretty young to make it big. Look at bands like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, and The Who. Those guys are all like at least 50. It seems like you really don't even have a chance of making it big until like your mid 40's.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Why not just go to college locally and stay in the band?
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by guitarist5477
I'm in college, and play in an active band. I also have a part-time job, and keep a steady workout routine. Trust me, you can do a band and college at the same time. I would just start up another band at school, most likely your not going to get famous with any band you join. Point is goto college, find some good guys while there and start a band.

Best idea here.

AFAIK, The Offspring met each other in Uni.
Whether you like them or not, they did pretty well.
22 seems a lot older when you're 19, but if you stick with your plan, which sounds like a good one, you'll realize that by handling what you did, when you did, you're actually ahead of most people. The skill and respect you acquire with your music education will more than make up for the years most people spend getting ****ed up and dropping out.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
I did both- college and music. I work a full time job which I have had for 6 years now and I still play/write/record/gig with my band.

I can promise you that the music industry is a bit of bitch to crack into. I've been in my band for almost 5 years now and we're only really making our dent this year. That being said, every gig we play and every minute I spend in the studio is extremely satisfying.
You sound like you're wanting to make a living off your band which is incredibly hard to do these days. Go to college and play in a band in your free time for fun. Once you've finished college, then decide again what you want to do and then I would suggest a similar thing. Find a job and do your band as a hobby because then if the band doesn't go anywhere, you won't be strapped for cash.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Is there anybody out there, who is satisfied with his/her life, just because the main thing for her/him is playing music (and having maybe a job somewhere)?
Quote by PLAYCUBE
Is there anybody out there, who is satisfied with his/her life, just because the main thing for her/him is playing music (and having maybe a job somewhere)?

This is ultimately what I want. If I could "make ends meet" playing/writing/recording music then my life would be complete. I wouldn't need to be a multi-platinum artist or anything, just make enough money to eat and sleep.
If you really like playing with a band and you're decent at it, surely you can find or form a new band in college. Even if you end up being a full time musician later, it's always good to have that degree under your belt.

Besides, is the choice really between school and music or between school and your friends?
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by JohnnyV
This is ultimately what I want. If I could "make ends meet" playing/writing/recording music then my life would be complete. I wouldn't need to be a multi-platinum artist or anything, just make enough money to eat and sleep.

You say that now. You're 19. Give it a few years and you'll change you're tune about the money issue.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Good advice in here except.. Only go to school if you're gunna get a useful degree. None of that history & arts shit unless that is your passion. Don't get a degree just to have one. I was planning on taking a year off and do music but then I realized I'd be very happy studying physics. It's a hefty degree and will get me somewhere. Also during summer you have a TON of time to write, practice and play shows.
Page 1 of 2