My VOX Wah Wah pedal (V847) is not working.

The bypass is working. However, when I turn ON the wah-wah effect - there is only a clean sound of the guitar and a very THIN sound of the wah-wah, it sounds more like a VOLUME pedal than it does a wah-wah pedal.

I believe this is the schematic: voxamps.com/downloads/circuits/wahwah93.jpg

From what i've gathered, the problem lies in the capacitors (because apparently capacitors are what create the wah wah? i'm not entirely sure myself)

I've replaced the C2 (4.7MF) and C3 (.22MF)

What could be the problem? Please help!

P.S.
are MF, mF, and uF all the same?

Thanks.
Last edited by GrizzlyBear420 at Jul 22, 2013,
Quote by GrizzlyBear420

are MF, mF, and uF all the same?

Thanks.

^Look at this and you'll see the answer to your question. If you acted on that assumption, you might want to go back and double check everything.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Last edited by Viban at Jul 22, 2013,
For caps people are still using mF, mf, MF, uF, UF, and uf to mean micro-farads. I don't really know what could be the problem with the wah without having it here with me.
Quote by Viban

^Look at this and you'll see the answer to your question. If you acted on that assumption, you might want to go back and double check everything.

Thank you for this image. But many people have told me that uF and MF are the same.

Take a look at these two schematics:
http://www.voxamps.com/downloads/circuits/wahwah93.jpg
http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20heaven/www.schematicheaven.com/effects/vox_847_wah_LAH.pdf

They are pretty much the same schematic, except one is MF and one is uF.
This leads me to believe that MF is uF. But your image says otherwise.

What the hell is going on here? Why are they switching up units of farads?
Quote by GrizzlyBear420
Thank you for this image. But many people have told me that uF and MF are the same.

Take a look at these two schematics:
http://www.voxamps.com/downloads/circuits/wahwah93.jpg
http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20heaven/www.schematicheaven.com/effects/vox_847_wah_LAH.pdf

They are pretty much the same schematic, except one is MF and one is uF.
This leads me to believe that MF is uF. But your image says otherwise.

What the hell is going on here? Why are they switching up units of farads?

The reason is likely because they don't understand the proper symbols applied to the prefixes, or they didn't think about the possible ambiguities. The thing is though, you will never get any capacitor with a value in megafarads; even if they exist, they would probably be about the size of your house. You occasionally get capacitors with milifarad-order values in musical equipment, but not normally in effects pedals. So you just have to assume that they are in microfarads.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
The reason you sometimes see mF rather than uF is because back in the old days uF hadn't been "assigned" yet. When they did standardize it it took a while to catch on. To this day most old-timers still use mF. The same is true for "Hz" versus "cycles per second".
Quote by Invader Jim
The reason you sometimes see mF rather than uF is because back in the old days uF hadn't been "assigned" yet. When they did standardize it it took a while to catch on. To this day most old-timers still use mF. The same is true for "Hz" versus "cycles per second".

This is actually quite strange. Did they just take everything back three decimal places when they intended to say uF?
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by Invader Jim

Yeah true. It was 1967 that they started calling it Hz but of course there are a lot of people who still think it's 1966 Mind you, that's not as bad as the celsius/centigrade thing: it's not officially been called centigrade since 1948.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jul 24, 2013,
Quote by eddiehimself
you will never get any capacitor with a value in megafarads; even if they exist, they would probably be about the size of your house.

Plox?
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Last edited by Viban at Jul 24, 2013,
Quote by Viban
Plox?

Well that's pretty much my point proven If you think how much one of the piddly little caps in your amp can **** you up, imagine what that beastie would do to you!
EH

That's a huge capacitor.

But back to the point, I think the problem in my wah-wah pedal lies in the inductor.
I bought a 500mh inductor this morning. I'm hoping this will fix my wah wah.

Just out of curiosity, what are some probable causes for the inductor to not be working?
Too much voltage?
Only two ways an inductor can fail: too much voltage or too much current. Too much voltage will jump through the insulation of the wire and short out adjacent turns of wire. Too much current will heat up and eventually burn out the coil completely. Both are extremely unlikely to happen in a pedal.