I've recently got asked to join a cover band with a couple of friends. We are supposed to be getting together August 3rd. I have to learn "Hey You" by Pink Floyd, and "Lights" by Journey. We were actually supposed to get together a few weeks earlier but delays and bad timing. So I know both songs partially, it's just some parts need some work. Mainly the ascending B minor, A major, D major, chords in "Lights" and also the chord changes in the chorus, then finally getting the solo down at full speed. "Lights" is actually easy, it's just getting the movement down at full speed. "Hey You" will be much easier since it's a slower song and there is less movement. So now I have ten day to get both songs down. I'm not required by my band to have it done by then but it will be easier to practice all together if I did. Any tips on practicing these songs? Will it be possible for me to learn them in 10 days?

Side note: These will be the first full songs I will actually be learning. I've been playing guitar for 2 and a half years and I've shamefully never learned a song in it's entirety. I just know parts of songs that I've started on but never finished. It's just that I wanted to work on technique and my own creativity before learning any songs.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Break the songs down into composite parts and learn each part slowly. Once you have mastered it, speed it up gradually and repeat the process. Repeat until you finally are up to speed.

There are no real short cuts or tricks to learning how to play a song from start to finish.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
do what slaphappy said and to add to his statement try to work where you have the most problem and start learning more songs p.s. use a metronome in case you need help building up speed
If you've been playing guitar for two and a half years, you should have absolutely no problem with either of those songs, and in your post you've already addressed the areas you think you need work on so there's nothing we can tell you here that you don't already know.
there's nothing we can tell you here that you don't already know

My first band played at my school in the late 80s. We covered Bodies by the Sex Pistols and were practically in drag.

I bet the TS didn't know that.

Or care.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Figure out and write down the basic song form before figuring out the guitar parts. Verse Chorus Bridge, etc.

The guitar solo in "Lights" is actually really easy, the fast parts are just 3-note-per-string hammer ons.
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
If you've been playing guitar for two and a half years, you should have absolutely no problem with either of those songs, and in your post you've already addressed the areas you think you need work on so there's nothing we can tell you here that you don't already know.

You're right, I did catch on to both songs pretty quick. I just need to make them sound clean and fluent now.

Quote by cdgraves
Figure out and write down the basic song form before figuring out the guitar parts. Verse Chorus Bridge, etc.

The guitar solo in "Lights" is actually really easy, the fast parts are just 3-note-per-string hammer ons.

I actually sat down and re-learned most of "Lights" in one day, because the one tab I found was way off. I've just been spending time filling in the gaps and gaining speed since then. The solo is fairly easy, I just need to gain speed on those quick parts and I'll be set.

Quote by Slap-happy
My first band played at my school in the late 80s. We covered Bodies by the Sex Pistols and were practically in drag.

I bet the TS didn't know that.

Or care.

That's actually pretty cool to know lol. Anyways, thanks everyone for your input, you reminded me to slow down, which can be something I tend to forget to do at times. When I wake up next morning I'm going to jump right on this. I just hope I'll be ready to jam with the others, as this will be my first time playing in a band.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Learn a section and repeat until you have it perfect, then move on to the next section. Simple as that. If you don't have one get a program like Transcribe or Amazing slow downer i believe. You can loop sections and slow them down. Great if you have difficulty with a particular section.
I've learnt some quite difficult songs in a very short time, personally I find it too hard to practice in sections.
What I do is play through it all as much as possible, if a bit is too hard, work on that little bit by it self.
Play along with the song, or a backing track, or better yet one of your band members (I find it hard to get someone to do this though because it might take quite a bit of replays)

Eventually, you will have the song down. For me it's usually 2-4 days with focused practice.

So yeah, what i've explained is a muscle memory thing. The more you play it through the better, and REMEMBER TO TAKE BREAKS.
Just like exercise, rest is important, so your brain can process things.