Hey everyone,

For the past few weeks, I've been trying to write a song. What I'm going for is an energetic post-grunge song mostly in the style of the Foo Fighters. Originally, my progression (in the key of C major) was C5-F5-A5-G5 (I-IV-vi-V).

A week or so later, after being introduced to the Circle of Fifths I thought it would be a good idea to switch to C5-G5-D5-A5 (I-V-ii-vi). This is where I'm at right now.

Again, if someone could suggest a chord progression (ideally in 5th chords) that convey high energy, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks.
Hmm...I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly. Just hammer out a few different power chord progressions. See how they sound. I think it's hard tough to just call up a particular progression that's going to work for you. You just need to fiddle around and find it.

You could try playing a through a bunch of Foo Fighters stuff. If you do that and then start jamming, you'll intuitively play similar things.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com
High energy?

Ever try to think of things other than chords that would help convey that?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
We can't answer this question for you.

Listen to your two progressions. Which one makes you feel more the way YOU want to feel?
Quote by robertwilliam9
Hmm...I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly. Just hammer out a few different power chord progressions. See how they sound. I think it's hard tough to just call up a particular progression that's going to work for you. You just need to fiddle around and find it.

You could try playing a through a bunch of Foo Fighters stuff. If you do that and then start jamming, you'll intuitively play similar things.

I had a feeling you'd say this. Interestingly enough, I worked out my own intro melody that was inspired my the intro melody of their song Walk.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
What was your reasoning for switching it after learning about the circle of fifths?...

Well, I'm not exactly sure, but I think I remember reading that sequences that progress by a 5th sound strong.

Quote by rockingamer2
High energy?
Ever try to think of things other than chords that would help convey that?

I did; I actually spoke with someone after my guitar lesson who's a drummer. He suggested using the snare a lot. As far as any other ideas... I know that quicker and/or louder playing heightens energy. Did you have any other ideas?

Quote by HotspurJr
We can't answer this question for you.

Listen to your two progressions. Which one makes you feel more the way YOU want to feel?

I think the second progression... but I'm not sure. I'll work with both a bit more.

Thanks for the contributions, everyone!
Quote by Jake P
Well, I'm not exactly sure, but I think I remember reading that sequences that progress by a 5th sound strong.

Which is meaningless. Which progression sounds like you want it to sound?
I IV I V

Every rock artist should write at least one song using that progression. It's been done a million times but that's the point. A) It works and B) if an artist can make something so common sound fresh and exciting you can be sure they know what they are doing.
Si
Quote by Jake P

I did; I actually spoke with someone after my guitar lesson who's a drummer. He suggested using the snare a lot. As far as any other ideas... I know that quicker and/or louder playing heightens energy. Did you have any other ideas?

Look at a bunch of songs that you consider high energy and see what they are doing. Rhythm? Tempo? Volume? Any contrasts?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK