ok i have a memory toy. honestly its not a very great pedal. i have slight issues with modern EHX build quality as i have always felt shakey about it.

lately, its been finicky, no sound when i click it on, i have to cycle the switch a few times and then it works. i use my FX loop on and off to turn my loop on and off. its a always on type of thing.

i really like the analog tone though!!! i have the mix set very low, with a short delay and an equal amount of feedback. it creates a slight echo / delay to thicken up the sound and add depth. i use it for cleans and higher gain.

- i would prefer a analog sounding pedal, or perhaps one with multiple tones
- not too complex
- would really like something with many flavors in a box if possible (probably too much $$$)
- small form factor is a plus but not a deal breaker
- decent cost / quality ratio
- i would like the 150 range, perhaps 180
something like a flashback 4x

....what really did it is i had a tube recently go and this time my Memory toy cut off in the middle of a song and sounded just like my tube blew front last time....so i tear down my amp and check the fuses. nothing. i found out it was the memory toy.

GOD DARN PEDAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 22, 2013,
I have the malekko 616. It's pretty transparent. Loads of knobs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I've got the Malekko 616. It's the best compact Analog Delay of the ones I've tried.

After that, I'd say the Memory Boy (not toy), then the MXR Carbon Copy.
not bad. 2 solid suggestions.

anybody have an odd ball suggestion? i will immediately begin youtube everything in proshopguitar and prymaxe vintage
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Carbon copy is great. But I thought I'd throw in a weird suggestion since you asked. Caroline kilobyte delay. Slightly over budget, but sooooo cool.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
i saw that! nice. however not sure im diggin the drive built in but only on the delays. super cool but i think im overpaying for a niche effect i wont use

VFE blueprint
TC alter ego
greenhouse fx retro sky
aqua puss
cmat mods deeelay
mojo hand fx recoil
mxr carbon copy
malekko 616 or the lofi version
TC flashback

earth quaker is a solid suggestion. worried it is too ambient or spacey. need more youtube there.

NO DIGITECH. sorry. i am pretty anti mainstream with FXs. i will probably never own a digitech product. i support BOSS. solid gear. i think a lot of times they almost sound too digital and i would like true bypass.

i am trying to eliminate uneeded buffers etc in my chain.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 23, 2013,
You could add the Hardwire DL8 to that list. It has a internal switch to choose between true bypass or buffer bypass(delay trails on when turning the effect off). Those hardwire series pedals are a level above their usual XO series(some of these were horrid tone suckers). You get stompknob guard or something with these that lock the knobs so they don't accidentally move about, some other goodies too like glow in the dark sticker I think.

I have the EHX Memory Boy. They skimped out on the internal gain adjustment trimmer. The pedal had a signal boost whenever it is on. I took care of it by add some solder to the trimmer connections which took the extra gain boost out of it. The extra boost was to match the dry & wet signal blend at 50%, but I never have a 50% blend anyways. Mine also puts out ~750ms of delay instead of the 550ms as it's supposed to. Although the extra delay time has a high pitched squeal to it, so it's not an added bonus for me.

Look into the Trex Replica or Reptile 2(forgot which one), which I should have actually got in the first place. That thing sounds great and comes with a tap tempo. It's an analog delay with modulation too.
Last edited by steven_ferns84 at Jul 23, 2013,
Quote by ikey_
NO DIGITECH. sorry. i am pretty anti mainstream with FXs. i will probably never own a digitech product. i support BOSS. solid gear. i think a lot of times they almost sound too digital and i would like true bypass.

err...
Quote by ikey_

NO DIGITECH. sorry. i am pretty anti mainstream with FXs. i support BOSS.

Contradictions FTW
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

EQD Disaster transport jnr

malekko 616

Carbon Copy

I love the EQD delays so I implore you to check it out. They are beautiful bits of gear
aqua puss
cmat mods deeelay

Both fantastic pedals.

If you can find a Boss DD-2 in working condition though.... Ranks right up there with a vintage Memory Man as my absolute favorite delays.
Boss is literally the definition of mainstream pedals without any doubt. Anyways, Ibanez DE-7.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Just gonna throw the Line 6 DL4 out there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Look for a used TC Flashback x4, or a used TC Nova Delay.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
Quote by emerald876
Look for a used TC Flashback x4.

+1 x4 I got mine for $120 used which is cheaper than a few of those pedals new. It also has an easy to use, dependable looper, which I use more than the delays. It's definitely overkill for me but what the hell, good price, great pedal.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
true. i did contradict myself but boss has proven itself to me. i still dont want many more. phasing them out. keep some around like an EQ cause it comes in handy.

TC - well im giving them a try just cause they seem to offer decent quality at price. just bought a ditto looper to tool around with, thier delays seem to have a solid rep.
________

USED flashback x4? great scott why didnt i think of that?

ok, ill give the EQD stuff a harder look. its so hard to tell off you tubes.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 24, 2013,
i think the aqua puss is winning. i really want that great tone that adds depth but really isnt a delay per say. very very light almost reverbish, touch sensitive so that you get more delay when you pick harder etc.

the aqua puss seems to be very subtle and is really true analog
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
went to guitar center, tried out an aqua puss, carbon copy, and a TC flashback. all did what i want. though the purist in my really liked the true analog of the carbon copy and aqua puss, i do have to say its almost impossible to tell with the TC, it realy is a good emulation and all the settings really are enticing.

the aqua puss is a complete 1 trick pony, set a forget tone, the carbon copy can get some sounds, modulation.

i think the MXR and the aqua puss are better builds, but the TC....got me with the features. might have to pull the trigger.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic