I've been looking into a delay pedal. The only experience I have with delay is the built in feature on my Vypr 15 that I set to a rather short, almost slapback setting. I don't know whether it's a result of the amp being crap, but some reverb seems to get added in when I use it. I like this, but not to the point where I would buy a reverb pedal to add that slight little.

Since I use quality amps at the places I play live, I was wondering if it's a characteristic of Delay pedals to have that hint of reverb/slight ambience, and what pedals would actually do this if not.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
There's is a tendency towards a little echo off the delay, just as a by-product f what they do. If you really want to get one, though try a few out with rigs as close to your own set up as possible. Check out whether you prefer analogue or digital.

A few to investigate would be:

MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Memory Boy
Ibanez / Maxon AD9 (Maxon built early Ibanez branded effects like the Tubescreamer)
Boss DD3 or DD6 or DD7 or even the DD20
Catalinbread Echorec
Malekko Ekko 616
Way Huge Aqua Puss

I personally use a DD3 and the Carbon Copy.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I've heard a lot of guys use a subtle delay for a thicker tone. I like using it that way to make notes "bleed" (my description) into the next for leads and solos, if you can understand that. I recently got my first real delay pedal (tc flashback x4) simply because you can do so much with a delay (especially x4!). Definitely check it out.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
if you want a digital delay go with the Boss DD-3, or a DD-20. For analog delay EHX Memory Man, or Way Huge Aqua Puss.
the Eventide Timefactor is probably the most comprehensive digital delay it also has a cool reverse effect to simulate the sound of something recorded and then flipped backward, think the solo's in The Beatles "I'm Only Sleeping", "Tomorrow never Knows", Hendrix's "Castles Made Of Sand" or the Chili Peppers "Give It Away".

Analog for Edge type sounds or the classic delay sounds or digital for some long echo type repeats.

I only have a DD-3 so I really can't vouch for the rest, and I mainly use mine for slapback type delay or long echoes (mostly Tom Morello covers). I have recently started using it for a slight thickening of leads and it works well for that.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
I use my mxr carbon copy for a sorta slapback sound and I love it. It's darker than most delays I've tried and so it helps it sit in the background. They are 150 new but I got mine used for 60. If you use slapback a lot, that's cheap for a vital effect. Also it can do insane oscillations and has nice modulation.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
No El Capistan? You guys are slipping. Next there'll be an overdrive thread with no Klon.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Not for a subtle slapback haha. That'a overkill
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
hi mostly some of pedal like this kind Delay is one of the most versatile effects you can add to your pedal board. you try to use this pedal probably its good one so you have to choose this one and also the Looper part of this pedal is a gas. Stomp on the pedal, play a riff.

Music/Local Artists
Last edited by ananthapriya at Aug 22, 2013,
Quote by ananthapriya
hi mostly some of pedal like this kind Delay is one of the most versatile effects you can add to your pedal board. you try to use this pedal probably its good one so you have to choose this one and also the Looper part of this pedal is a gas. Stomp on the pedal, play a riff.a

a used ibanez ad9 is great for slapback. they generally go cheap.

hell, even a used de7 if you don't mind analog-voiced digital.
MXR Carbon Copy is a great analog delay. Seriously top notch. I owned one before I bought the TC Electronic Flashback, which is an awesome and versatile delay, but just doesn't have the depth and warmth of the MXR. Sometimes I toy with the idea of going back.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle