I recently relocated from the US to the UK and had to leave all of my gear behind. That has resulted in me buying a cheap Les Paul copy and getting back into studying the guitar after several years of playing other instruments.

My first major breakthrough in really understanding the guitar and music theory was after working my way through Guitar Scales Method which I believe is an excellent and unique piece of play-along software. I've been doing a lot of searching for similar training software and have come up with several. I'd like to know if anyone is using these and what your opinions are.

GuitarBots.com It's a free online tab reading game with pitch detection like Rocksmith, but you only need a web browser and a guitar. I've been playing it for about a week and am using it to improve my tab reading speed and to break the habit of staring at my fretboard/hands. You can also use this in "note" mode so notes will be displayed on the strings instead of numbers. I'm really surprised that this isn't more popular as it seems to work really well and has social capabilities built-in.

Rock Prodigy for the iphone (there's also a PC version). Another pitch detection game. I haven't really delved into it, but I'd be using it for the same reason as GuitarBots.

The Improvisation By Degrees course. This is the same guy that produced the Guitar Scales Method, Guitar Speed Trainer and several others. I'm a fan of this developer and am hoping his newer course is as effective and well thought out as GSM. I've downloaded it and started reading through it and there's also pitch detection built in now.

Another one that I can recommend is the Improviser app that you can download from the Fretlight website. You don't need a Fretlight to use it and it's free. It's one of the best jam track apps that I've found.

Opinions? Anything else I should know about?
Quote by macashmack
I don't know. I don't see how those can do any more than just printing out a fretboard diagram and memorizing all the notes, and then learning all the scales and triads by intervals. My method is free and fast.
Having said that, I am a fan of this course:
http://truefire.com/jazz-guitar-lessons/fingerboard-breakthrough/

I'll check out that course.

As to your response about the value of software vs printing diagrams. I've done the printing and writing method. It helps, but I found that, while I understood........I didn't really know. For example, the Guitar Scales Method has many many exercises that call out a chord, degree, mode, key, etc and you have to respond. If you can be given a key and a degree and immediately play an arpeggio, in time with the audio, within a couple of seconds and then repeat the process for any scale degree of any key, then why bother?

I quickly found out the difference between understanding and knowing. There's nothing like interactive testing to expose your weaknesses.