Looking for tube screamer- what is the best from my options
Ts9
Ts9 turbo
Green rhino mkii
Ocd full tone
Maxon 808
Fulltone full drive

Cheers
They are all variations on a theme. What do you want to do with the tubescreamer?
RIP Gooze

cats
Controversial but Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive. You'll get a more versatile tone out of it and make a massive saving. I think they're underated and I've used OKKO Diablo OD, Fulltone full drive (all variations) KLON, Timmy's, OCD e.t.c. e.t.c. (all through Dr Z's and Fender Deluxe Reverb's). I'm not saying the bad monkey is flat out better than the ones I've listed. However, if I was to include cost as a factor then I would say it's better!

If that's a no then I would recommend the Fulldrive Full Tone!
cmat mods signa drive
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I enjoy the Ts9 Turbo but honestly I mainly use the normal ts9 settings. I used my friends Ts9 Turbo that was modded from Keeley.......... wow! What an overdrive!
Quote by PanamaJack666
Controversial but Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive. You'll get a more versatile tone out of it and make a massive saving. I think they're underated and I've used OKKO Diablo OD, Fulltone full drive (all variations) KLON, Timmy's, OCD e.t.c. e.t.c. (all through Dr Z's and Fender Deluxe Reverb's). I'm not saying the bad monkey is flat out better than the ones I've listed. However, if I was to include cost as a factor then I would say it's better!

If that's a no then I would recommend the Fulldrive Full Tone!

I wouldn't really say the Bad Monkey is controversial, I've seen it suggested over a TS many times when people are asking about overdrive pedals.

Edit: Not just for price reasons, but having more control over the tone mainly.
JOYO JF 01 vintage overdrive
Bugera 6262
Squier Showmaster
Richman Custom
Starfire 7
Ibanez EX
Agile Interceptor 725
Behringer GX212 (now works as head)
JOYO JF 01
Kimaxe PJ Bass
Bad Monkey
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Bad monkey good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1 on the bad monkey

I've heard that the hardwire od is like a "better" bad monkey, but i haven't tried it. the bad monkey is pretty sweet already, though...

Quote by Tenebrion
JOYO JF 01 vintage overdrive

I like the joyo, but I think the bad monkey has it beat- similar price, more versatile. Neither really sounds better, just you can do more things with the bad monkey.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's hard to go past the Bad Monkey but as nobody's said it yet:

Klon

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Do you want a no frills TS, or something with a lot of bells and whistles?

Do you want to smooth your tone out, or add some grittiness to it?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Grawgos
This^

Signa drive is a great pedal and very underrated around these parts.

Yeah this is probably one of the best sounding tube screamers clones I ever tried apart from the Sparkle Drive. Even better is the Super Signa Drive. The clean boost on that pedal is independently operated and sounds awesome. Otherwise if you are after a meat and potatos screamer without all the clipping options and etc. then definately the Bad Monkey.
It's analog.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thank you!

How would I set up my fx pedals with the following gear?

Boss tuner
Bad monkey
Isp decimator g string
Splawn nitro with effects loop
Tuner > Bad Monkey > Splawn > FX send > Decimator > FX return.

With the Decimator triggered like Yianni just said ^
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 23, 2013,
Bad Monkey should work really well with your Splawn as a boost. Gain = '0' Level = '10'

You certainly don't need anymore distortion

Good Luck,

PS: Just because it has Digitech in the name doesn't mean it is digital. Digitech makes a variety of analog pedals too.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Bad Monkey should work really well with your Splawn as a boost. Gain = '0' Level = '10'

Good Luck,

PS: Just because it has Digitech in the name doesn't mean it is digital. Digitech makes a variety of analog pedals too.

Is that sarcasm? So I don't actually need a tube screamer?
Quote by Mrgraeme
Is that sarcasm? So I don't actually need a tube screamer?

Tube screamers are commonly used in the settings 311 described, it's to push the front end of an amp, cut a little bass and add some mids. That's what a lot of the metal guys do. If that's what you are trying to do, I recommend you get the bad monkey or the joyo, depending on which ones cheaper and whether you want the additional tone knob of the bad monkey.

A lot of blues guys, on the other hand - use it for an overdriven lead sound (SRV for instance). If you are wanting to do that, the joyo or bad monkey might not cut it (depending on how much of a tone snob you are :P, in which case you might want to look at other pedals.

Other people like tube screamers without the mid boost and/or bass cut; and so more transparent tube screamer-esq pedals exist. But these aren't used as often by metal guys, who usually like the way normal tube screamers colour their tone.

That's why I asked what your application for a tube screamer is.
RIP Gooze

cats
Green Rhino for its high tweak-ability
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by mulefish
Tube screamers are commonly used in the settings 311 described, it's to push the front end of an amp, cut a little bass and add some mids. That's what a lot of the metal guys do. If that's what you are trying to do, I recommend you get the bad monkey or the joyo, depending on which ones cheaper and whether you want the additional tone knob of the bad monkey.

A lot of blues guys, on the other hand - use it for an overdriven lead sound (SRV for instance). If you are wanting to do that, the joyo or bad monkey might not cut it (depending on how much of a tone snob you are :P, in which case you might want to look at other pedals.

Other people like tube screamers without the mid boost and/or bass cut; and so more transparent tube screamer-esq pedals exist. But these aren't used as often by metal guys, who usually like the way normal tube screamers colour their tone.

That's why I asked what your application for a tube screamer is.

With the extra knob a Bad Monkey can be dialed in pretty damn close to a TS9 (ie with the bass cut) if that's what's desired. Personally, I don't like the bass cut so I run mine with the bass knob turned up a bit. Best of both worlds really. For the money it's hard to beat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ I run mine with the bass cut as I use it as a boost. But I have the option of turning the bass up if I so desire. Which is a nice option to have.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Not sarcasm at all.

Just do what I said.

I don't want to put words in 311's mouth, but just to clarify, I think he meant that you didn't need to turn the gain on the pedal up past 0, not that you didn't need a tubescreamer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^

the boost will make the amp distort more, though. Which is worth clarifying. Just you're not adding any clipping (or very little, i suppose, ts-type pedals aren't 100% clean with the gain at 0, though the BM does seem a little cleaner at zero than a TS, more like an SD1 in that regard) from the pedal.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Doesn't everybody mod their tubescreamers? The Bad Monkey is like a tubescreamer I've modded. ie modified bass response (but variable) and able to clean up better. I could have bought the Joyo TS and modded it or buy a Bad Monkey for $20 more that already had the necessary mods. Well, that's the way I saw it anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Doesn't everybody mod their tubescreamers?

Depends on the application.
From a personal stand point I wanted a tube screamer for a specific purpose, and that was for the way it coloured my tone as a boost

I didn't want transparent.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Good Luck,

I have a nitro and promod (both kt88) they are a select few that don't need to be boosted.

Do you have everything now?

I actually don't care for the bad monkey, i owned one and ditched it in favor of a bbe green screamer which at the time sold new for $50.

If i were to get a ts, green rhino would be my pick.

Imo timmy' s are the best medium priced/budget way to go.

My timmy gets used much more than any of my other pedals.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jul 26, 2013,
+1 to not liking the bad monkey, or the tube screamer for that matter. I prefer a boss sd-1, if not, a bd-2(which I think is a lil closer to a TS). IMO the Fulldrive 2 is a very, very good version of an sd-1.

If you try a TS and don't like it...try an sd-1 or Fulldrive
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Check the Wampler Paisley Drive if you're interested in a darker Screamer.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by mulefish
Depends on the application.
From a personal stand point I wanted a tube screamer for a specific purpose, and that was for the way it coloured my tone as a boost

I didn't want transparent.

i wouldn't say the bad monkey is transparent. slightly more transparent than a ts, not transparent, lol. it still sounds pretty tubescreamery to me. also you can dial it in to sound pretty darn close to a ts.

Quote by lucky1978
+1 to not liking the bad monkey, or the tube screamer for that matter. I prefer a boss sd-1, if not, a bd-2(which I think is a lil closer to a TS).

an sd1 is way closer to a ts than a bd2. an sd1 is basically a ts with asymmetrical clipping, no smoothing cap in the feedback loop and slightly different values for the pots (so it can be dialled in to be both cleaner and gainier than a ts). it's basically an edgier/fizzier ts, but it's in the same ballpark if you ask me (which is not to say you might not prefer one or the other, of course).

the bd2 is totally different. it's a more transparent od (actually transparent, not bad monkey-transparent, lol).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I'm sure you're right.
I use the sd1 for utter nastiness and the bd2 for a lil grit. I use the bd2 like others use a TS.which led to my assumption. I definitely prefer either over a TS or clone for either application.
Thanks for the correction
I don't use anything now that I got a better amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 26, 2013,
^ no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2