Page 1 of 2
Leave fish alone. I have an Oscar breeding pair (Tiger male, albino female). Both around 11 inches in size.
How the fuck am I supposed to fucking fuck one of these?

Turtles are where it is at my friend!
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by LostLegion
Leave fish alone. I have an Oscar breeding pair (Tiger male, albino female). Both around 11 inches in size.

I used to keep 'Oscars' ('Astronotus ocellatus' a species of fish from the cichlid family.)

They're great, especialy when kept in pairs, and probably the most intelligent fish you can keep in a tropical tank. They're highly predatory and anything smaller that them in the tank is known as 'lunch' and they grow to about one foot long. You can condition them to take food from your hand (juveniles will actualy leap out of the water and snatch food pellets from your hand) and they will actualy come to recognise their owner (or at least the person who feeds them) swimming towards the owner's hand and even allowing the owner to stroke them, but shunning the hands of anyone else.

There really is no point in putting plants in an oscar tank though, they just uproot them all the time, infact anything that an oscar takes a dislike to will be attacked, which reminds me of an incident.
I was sitting watching the oscars one night when one of them grabbed the heater, which was in a glass tube. It pulled it off its fixtures and shook it and before I could react in time it had broken the glass tube. There was a sudden flash from the tank and all the lights in the house went out. So I fumbled in the dark, unplugged the power to the fishtank and mended the blown fuse so I could see what the damage was, fully expecting to see two dead fish, to my surprise the brutes were swimming around as if nothing had happened, after that I bought a tough plastic guard for the heater, which they still managed to remove from it's fixtures and shake around (seriously, they're like puppies with a pull toy) so I ended up putting it under some flat stones and directing a current via a filter under it to circulate the heat.

I sold them when I moved house, but I'm actualy thinking of getting some more.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I used to keep 'Oscars' ('Astronotus ocellatus' a species of fish from the cichlid family.)

They're great, especialy when kept in pairs, and probably the most intelligent fish you can keep in a tropical tank. They're highly predatory and anything smaller that them in the tank is known as 'lunch' and they grow to about one foot long. You can condition them to take food from your hand (juveniles will actualy leap out of the water and snatch food pellets from your hand) and they will actualy come to recognise their owner (or at least the person who feeds them) swimming towards the owner's hand and even allowing the owner to stroke them, but shunning the hands of anyone else.

There really is no point in putting plants in an oscar tank though, they just uproot them all the time, infact anything that an oscar takes a dislike to will be attacked, which reminds me of an incident.
I was sitting watching the oscars one night when one of them grabbed the heater, which was in a glass tube. It pulled it off its fixtures and shook it and before I could react in time it had broken the glass tube. There was a sudden flash from the tank and all the lights in the house went out. So I fumbled in the dark, unplugged the power to the fishtank and mended the blown fuse so I could see what the damage was, fully expecting to see two dead fish, to my surprise the brutes were swimming around as if nothing had happened, after that I bought a tough plastic guard for the heater, which they still managed to remove from it's fixtures and shake around (seriously, they're like puppies with a pull toy) so I ended up putting it under some flat stones and directing a current via a filter under it to circulate the heat.

I sold them when I moved house, but I'm actualy thinking of getting some more.

They're trying to take the piss out of me.

*trying*

And yes, Oscars are amazing. I love my pair. Amazingly intelligent.
Quote by MH400

that sounds unpleasant

Quote by MH400

*trying*

And yes, Oscars are amazing. I love my pair. Amazingly intelligent.

Ignore 'em mate. If they saw a big pair of oscars in action they'd soon be impressed. Everything about them exudes aggression
Do yours wrestle? (locking jaws and pushing each other around) Jaw locking can just be aggressive or territorial behaviour, but it can also be a part of courship, which also includes them slapping each other with their tails and bodies.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Ignore 'em mate. If they saw a big pair of oscars in action they'd soon be impressed.

I believe this is probably the first time I have ever disagreed with a post of yours.

I grew up with big dogs: dobermans, retrievers and shepards; I highly doubt any fish could possibly impress me with their "aggression".

I have no harsh feelings towards MH400 and I actually kinda like him, I just really think fish are terribly boring pets.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Ignore 'em mate. If they saw a big pair of oscars in action they'd soon be impressed. Everything about them exudes aggression
Do yours wrestle? (locking jaws and pushing each other around) Jaw locking can just be aggressive or territorial behaviour, but it can also be a part of courship, which also includes them slapping each other with their tails and bodies.

Back in the day I had a full African tank (Malawi / Tang / Victoria) and also my Oscar tank.

I ended up selling them Africans, though. I only saw them as display, whilst I saw my Oscars as pets. My O's differentiate between me and other people - it's actually amazing.

And yeah, they do their lip locking and tail slapping. They're currently digging a pit (They haven't spawned in a few months), so I'm expecting eggs at some point. Their last lot of fry got to a week old and free swimming until the parents went on a killing spree. They live with a Pleco (algae / unwanted food control).

Get some more Oscars - you know how awesome they are
Fish is tasty
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by CoreysMonster
I believe this is probably the first time I have ever disagreed with a post of yours.

I grew up with big dogs: dobermans, retrievers and shepards; I highly doubt any fish could possibly impress me with their "aggression".

I have no harsh feelings towards MH400 and I actually kinda like him, I just really think fish are terribly boring pets.

I have a Staffordshire bull terrier myself, I've also had bull terrier crosses, lurchers and pit-bulls, and obviously a dog is going to be more impressive than a 12 inch fish, just as a lion is going to be more impressive than a dog, and a rhino is going to be more impressive than a lion, but relatively speaking, oscars are very aggressive compared to other fish of a similar size and seriously impressive fish to keep in a tank in your living room and anything but boring, I used to have hours of fun watching the antics that mine got up to.
Convicts are awesome, too. I see them as miniature Oscars. Full of personality and aggression.
Quote by MH400

Back in the day I had a full African tank (Malawi / Tang / Victoria) and also my Oscar tank.

I ended up selling them Africans, though. I only saw them as display, whilst I saw my Oscars as pets. My O's differentiate between me and other people - it's actually amazing.

And yeah, they do their lip locking and tail slapping. They're currently digging a pit (They haven't spawned in a few months), so I'm expecting eggs at some point. Their last lot of fry got to a week old and free swimming until the parents went on a killing spree. They live with a Pleco (algae / unwanted food control).

Yeah, you may want to set up another tank and seperate off the young after they hatch.

Quote by MH400

Get some more Oscars - you know how awesome they are

They actualy have a fully grown pair in the local pet shop at the moment, problem is, the wife doesn't like them because of the aggression (it even upset her when my guppies started eating their young) and I'd have to buy a big new tank, new equipment, and find somewhere in the house (which is pretty small) to place it too.

Quote by MH400
Convicts are awesome, too. I see them as miniature Oscars. Full of personality and aggression.

Keep 'em in a big enough tank and feed 'em plenty of live food and you can get them to grow to a similar size as an oscar, but it needs to be a REALLY big tank.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 23, 2013,
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Keep 'em in a big enough tank and feed 'em plenty of live food and you can get them to grow to a similar size as an oscar, but it needs to be a REALLY big tank.

That would be insane. They're more aggressive than Oscars even at a smaller size :O

Also, my babies:

The tiger's colours are just about perfect IMO.
Quote by MH400
That would be insane. They're more aggressive than Oscars even at a smaller size :O

Also, my babies:

The tiger's colours are just about perfect IMO.

Lovely.

Personaly, I actualy prefer the more naturaly coloured Oscars. Even better when you cross a natural with a tiger. They can contain greens and blues and reds and also tend to show off the ocellatus (circular marks near the tail that they are named after) a little better than the tiger oscars.

Ever seen one of these?

It's a long finned albino oscar.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Lovely.

Personaly, I actualy prefer the more naturaly coloured Oscars. Even better when you cross a natural with a tiger. They can contain greens and blues and reds and also tend to show off the ocellatus (circular marks near the tail that they are named after) a little better than the tiger oscars.

Ever seen one of these?

It's a long finned albino oscar.

Yeah, they're quite nice. I don't think they're available here in NZ, though. I've never seen them here, anyway.

And yeah, I've seen a few long fins. Really not a fan of them. Yourself?

And hey, what do you think the minimum tank size is for a breeding pair? I've seen it vary from 55G to 125G.

I WONDER WHERE THAT FISH DID GO?

A FISH, A FISH, A FISHY, OHHHHHHHHHHHH!
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I need to know, am I the only one that thinks taylor swift looks like a fish
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by MH400
Yeah, they're quite nice. I don't think they're available here in NZ, though. I've never seen them here, anyway.

If they aren't available in NZ, and if you can get a natural and a tiger of opposite sexes, you could breed some and sell them for above average prices.

Quote by MH400
And yeah, I've seen a few long fins. Really not a fan of them. Yourself?

They're something new to Britain, I think they look nice, like a phantom Siamese Fighter on steroids, but they also kinda remind me of long finned goldfish. Like I said, I prefer them to look more natural really.
Quote by MH400

And hey, what do you think the minimum tank size is for a breeding pair? I've seen it vary from 55G to 125G.

I'd say somewhere in between those two figures, 55G seems a little small but plausable, idealy though, the bigger the better.
Back in the day I had a saltwater tank. After about a week one fish at all the others. Like $100 worth of fish. That was the end of that venture.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I like fish to eat and to look at

I ate chilli crab yesterday which is not a fish but it's friends with fish so it's ok. I also went to a koi pond and fed them fried bread. Coincidentally my friend went to the new aquarium yesterday so yesterday was a FISH DAY.
cat
I once saw baby koi fish for sale and I went and put my hand in the little pond thing and they started kissing my hands. :3
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I need to know, am I the only one that thinks taylor swift looks like a fish

nah, she looks like a ferret
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I always feel bad for the goldfish with the eye deformations.

I don't have oscars, but I have a 55g tropical community tank and a 10g with a betta and some otos. The only thing stopping me from getting another tank is the lack of space in my room for another
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I'd say somewhere in between those two figures, 55G seems a little small but plausable, idealy though, the bigger the better.

Agreed that 55 is too small. Mine are comfortable in a 4ft / 75G (minimal decorations).

Although I'm looking at having a 5ft / 75G built. Same width but not as tall etc.

Quote by byob_soad2
I always feel bad for the goldfish with the eye deformations.

I don't have oscars, but I have a 55g tropical community tank and a 10g with a betta and some otos. The only thing stopping me from getting another tank is the lack of space in my room for another

Nice, dude. What fish are in the community tank?
My roommate from last year had a fishtank that he pretty much poured all of his free money into. Those fish were his babies.

Naturally I had to help him with it and "take care of his fish" when he was gone, which was bullshit. I hate fish.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
My roommate from last year had a fishtank that he pretty much poured all of his free money into. Those fish were his babies.

Naturally I had to help him with it and "take care of his fish" when he was gone, which was bullshit. I hate fish.

Why do you hate fish?
cat
Quote by MH400
Nice, dude. What fish are in the community tank?

I've got a few too many black skirt tetras, some male guppies (I separated, then gave away, the females. too much breeding), 4 yoyo loaches (my favorites), a few otos here too, some angels, and the one swordtail that didn't die (rip)

I realized after that the guppies and angels shouldn't be in the same tank, and really should move one of them, I just have nowhere to put them right now :/
Quote by guitarxo
Why do you hate fish?

I've had a very intense fear of deep water and that which dwells in it for a very long time. Not necessarily fish, not necessarily not fish either.

But in addition to that, I just don't get their appeal. I don't like fish as a food, they smell, and as a pet I feel like they're fun to look at for 10 minutes but taking care of them is such a hassle for an animal that will never get past staring blankly at you whenever you go near the tank. Compared to a dog or cat, an animal that can be a friend for life and you can take all over with you, no thanks.

Again, my roommate last year sunk hours of care and hundreds of dollars into his fishtank, for me I don't get it.
Last edited by Rockford_rocks at Jul 24, 2013,
Quote by Rockford_rocks
I've had a very intense fear of deep water and that which dwells in it for a very long time. Not necessarily fish, not necessarily not fish either.

But in addition to that, I just don't get their appeal. I don't like fish as a food, they smell, and as a pet I feel like they're fun to look at for 10 minutes but taking care of them is such a hassle for an animal that will never get past staring blankly at you whenever you go near the tank.

Again, my roommate last year sunk hours of care and hundreds of dollars into his fishtank, for me I don't get it.

it's a great feeling when they breed and you watch the babies grow up thanks to your care. and setting up plants and rocks and other decorations to make a beautiful aquascape...

I don't often sit and watch them, but knowing that I'm keeping them alive and happy feels really good
Page 1 of 2