Page 1 of 3
I remember on the albums Parachutes "a rush of blood..." and X&Y.... there were a lot of songs that I genuinely had fun learning to play.
Some of the songs required experimental tuning. Some of them used 6th chords.

I remember the song Shiver. I love the various chord progressions in that song ! It has a distinct verse, pre-chorus and chorus riff.

Or what about "God put a smile upon your face" ...I can't even remember how to play that one. I think it requires dropped D tuning to get the dreary sound though.

But with their 2 last albums, it feels like the songs have lost their musicality. Too many of their songs nowadays are just a repetition of 4 chords.
Viva la Vida is a great single, but it's just 4 chords played throughout the whole song !

What about strawberry swing ? -the first half of the song is very repetitive, it only get's interesting from the break-down ( when the minor chords come in).

If you're just a guy sitting with his guitar playing along to the song (like me), it becomes boring, and unchallenging.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm beginning to find Coldplay music more enjoyable to listen to, than to play.

I have never heard a coldplay song with a genuinely cool lead guitar section, since "Shiver"

I wish they would get more creative with the actual composition of the songs, instead of just filling a simple 4 chord sequence with a bunch of effects.
Last edited by vincymon at Jul 23, 2013,
Off topic but Coldplay are the best live band I have ever seen.

And I've seen a lot of bands. You aint gonna get many normal replies in here. The pit is full of metalhead virgins.
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
Quote by vincymon
If you're just one guy sitting with his guitar playing along to the song, it becomes boring.

So?

Music's not made for the enjoyment of guitarists to learn. It's not made for the enjoyment of musicians in general. Go ask Coldplay if they like their new stuff - If they do, shut ya mout'.
As long as they don't play in C or a minor. Because if they do they're total shit and should be banned from every country.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I think it's just the band evolving into a more commercial sound. They're not necessarily sellouts. As long as they like the simpler sound, who cares, right?
I actually thought Viva la Vida was very interestingly composed.

Death and All His Friends has a very nice solo about 30 seconds in.

Violet Hill has very interesting guitar composition as well.

Of course, Piano is more of the instrument you should be looking to play if you're playing coldplay songs.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Chris3235

And I've seen a lot of bands. You aint gonna get many normal replies in here. The pit is full of metalhead virgins.

Best live band ? Are you kidding ? Every time I have watched play "lovers in Japan" I hope to see Chris Martin (or even an extra musician) playing the piano section, but instead he is running around the stage.
In fact I think I have even seen Chris Martin turn on a machine that plays the 'dulcimer' effect.

What about 'life in technicolor' ....I love the recording of that song, because it has so many beautifully laid instruments and percussion. But I have NEVER seen that on stage. All I see are the same 4 band members, sometimes Chris Martin is not even playing... and all the other sounds seem to be pre-recorded.

I personally prefer to see where the sound is coming from, when I go to a concert.

Like Muse for example. I have seen Muse perform, with an extra handyman that plays the keyboards, guitar or even the tambourine, if the song requires it.

I have never had to guess where the music comes from, when I see Muse perform. All the instruments are there in front of you.

I would rather see Coldplay perform with an extra percussionist on stage to play the congo drums...than to watch Chris Martin singing to a backing track.
What's people's obsession with every little thing having to be done live?

It doesn't sound any better, and I find it hard to believe you're experience can't be complete until you see someone tonk away on a couple of wooden blocks that were in the recording.
Quote by willT08

It doesn't sound any better, and I find it hard to believe you're experience can't be complete until you see someone tonk away on a couple of wooden blocks that were in the recording.

I'd rather watch Chester Bennington run around on stage then have him bang away at a two piece drumset, I'll tell you that much.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by willT08

I go to shows to see the performer play live.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Only people with a limited understanding of musicality confuse simplicity with lack of skill or the uninteresting.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by vincymon
Best live band ? Are you kidding ? Every time I have watched play "lovers in Japan" I hope to see Chris Martin (or even an extra musician) playing the piano section, but instead he is running around the stage.

You know

Quote by Chris3235

Some basic reading comprehension goes a long way.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Simple can be good (hence the KISS-rule), but lack of originality and too much mediocrity is in my opinion what gets boring and bland.

I'm no Coldplay fan, myself. Most (famous) musicians lose the creative flare they had when they were younger. Coldplay might have passed their "best days", what do I know?
DeVillains!
Coldplay is a band I make fun of a lot but have no real problem with.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I go to shows to see the performer play live.

And they do. I'm sure Chris Martin will write you a formal apology for the band not each having 8 limbs to play every layer on the album.
Quote by willT08
And they do. I'm sure Chris Martin will write you a formal apology for the band not each having 8 limbs to play every layer on the album.

I don't have a problem with prerecorded stuff when it's needed. Unless you hire another band to play all the other parts, you're either watering down the song or filling in with recordings.

The description made it sound like they were too busy running around the stage to play their instruments. If they all play their parts but use recordings to fill in what they physically can't play, I see no problem.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Look at it another way: if the music is simple then that just shows their talent and musical sense to be able to make great songs with simple chord progressions, riffs etc. Look at Clocks, they took a really simple little piano riff and turned it into an amazing song.
Last edited by uttamo at Jul 23, 2013,
Simple is good, I'm actually starting to get that now in composing. Less is more yaknow
It's more complicated than The Beetles'.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Coldplay is a band I make fun of a lot but have no real problem with.

Basically this. Chris Martin has a bit of a douchey vibe to him but otherwise they're alright. Not my cuppa, but alright.
Quote by Todd Hart
It's more complicated than The Beetles'.

Some of Coldplay's stuff is more complicated, but the Beatles didn't have computer setups that allowed them to have unlimited tracks. I think what they did within the limitations the recording tech of the era imposed is more impressive than anything Coldplay's ever done.

And IMPO I don't believe the Beatles were the best band ever or any shit like that, so it's not like I'm that biased. The Beatles were good, but it's art dammit, everyone has their opinions. There is not a best.

Except for Kanye West cause he's the Kanye Best.
Quote by willT08

I beg to differ on the bolded part since some bands play their songs differently live
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
The only people that legitimately care about how simple something is are the people thatpride themselves on listening to the most complex music possible.
Complexity =/= good, but that doesn't make them inherently better for doing less complex music.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by mr.sexytime
Arent they the guys who stole that Satriani song? Dick move.

No they didn't steal it, just because Viva la Vida sounds like 2 seconds of the Satriani song. There are inevitably times when music will sound similar to other music. They were only being sued because Viva la Vida was so commercially successful.
Quote by uttamo
No they didn't steal it, just because Viva la Vida sounds like 2 seconds of the Satriani song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEGGFJLpbu4

Quote by uttamo
There are inevitably times when music will sound similar to other music.

Yes, but there is a difference between sounding similar and copying,

Quote by uttamo
They were only being sued because Viva la Vida was so commercially successful.

No. Satriani is quoted as saying "I did everything I could to avoid a court case with this situation. But Coldplay didn't want to talk about it. They just wanted this whole thing to go away. Maybe they figured this little guitar player guy will leave them alone after a while, I don't know. But we're talking about a piece of art that I created, and that's something I feel is important. I think everybody should feel that way."

Coldplay actually claimed that If I Could Fly lacked originality, and therefore should not receive copyright protection. This amuses me, as they have written a song that, deliberately or otherwise, sounds extremely similar to If I Could Fly, so they may as well be talking about their own song lacking originality.
Quote by Random3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEGGFJLpbu4

Yes, but there is a difference between sounding similar and copying,

No. Satriani is quoted as saying "I did everything I could to avoid a court case with this situation. But Coldplay didn't want to talk about it. They just wanted this whole thing to go away. Maybe they figured this little guitar player guy will leave them alone after a while, I don't know. But we're talking about a piece of art that I created, and that's something I feel is important. I think everybody should feel that way."

Coldplay actually claimed that If I Could Fly lacked originality, and therefore should not receive copyright protection. This amuses me, as they have written a song that, deliberately or otherwise, sounds extremely similar to If I Could Fly, so they may as well be talking about their own song lacking originality.

I think the similarity is completely by chance and in no way does it seem that Coldplay 'copied' Satriani's tune. Satriani: 'I did everything I could to avoid a court case' - BS, why did he file a lawsuit then? And there are probably parts of other Coldplay songs that are more similar to others' music, but Coldplay won't have people trying to sue them for it purely because those songs didn't sell that much and so don't have a lot of money tied to them.
Quote by uttamo
I think the similarity is completely by chance and in no way does it seem that Coldplay 'copied' Satriani's tune. Satriani: 'I did everything I could to avoid a court case' - BS, why did he file a lawsuit then? And there are probably parts of other Coldplay songs that are more similar to others' music, but Coldplay won't have people trying to sue them for it purely because those songs didn't sell that much and so don't have a lot of money tied to them.

Well I'd be pretty pissed of if I wrote a melody then couple of years later Chris Martin shows up and is making millions off of my melody.
Quote by uttamo
And there are probably parts of other Coldplay songs that are more similar to others' music, but Coldplay won't have people trying to sue them for it purely because those songs didn't sell that much and so don't have a lot of money tied to them.

Find me one Coldplay song that bears as much similarity to another song as If I Could Fly does to Viva La Vida and I will agree with you.

Also for anyone interested, read this: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/joe-satriani-speaks-about-coldplay-lawsuit-185914
Last edited by Random3 at Jul 23, 2013,
Nah I look down on music that is easy to play on guitar because the only thing worth my time are things that are challenging on guitar, like shredding the chromatic scale at 200 BPM sixteenth notes. Musicality is irrelevant when it comes to music.
Yes its simple but I dont see simple being bad

And who cant love In my place or Talk the're great tunes
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
I have never been a big fan, but not necessarily because they are simple. They just have never really sparked my interest. I certainly don't think simplicity is a bad thing. Heck, I listen to everything from Between The Buried And Me to Taylor Swift. The only thing I care about, is whether or not I enjoy it.
Quote by uttamo

If he doesn't protect his copyright he'll lose any validity to future claims.
Page 1 of 3