Hi,

I have found a Taylor 714ce going for $700 on Craigslist.
I have already met the guy who is trying to sell it
and I have played it.
It sounds and plays like a Taylor.

Here is the thing.
The guitar was crushed once.
So some luthier fixed it up, and the guitar is fine.
There are scratches front, side, and back.

And most importantly, the expression system is not working.
I can choose to fix that or not, which will be around $300.
Or I can choose to buy a pick up for cheaper than that.

If you were in my position, would you buy this used 714ce for $700?

Thank you in advance.
Taylors are great guitars. i have 3. i'm not so sure i would want that one for more than 500 tops. it's a deeply repaired 714c( no E, the electronics dont work). i would at the VERY least, bring it to a luthier of good repute and get a professional opinion. this isn't a $75 Luna or Dean.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
i'd be cautious. you say the guitar was crushed. does that mean literally crushed, the top fixed or replaced, bracing re-attached, etc?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
So, the story is that somebody fell on the top of the guitar.
And the whole top was replaced.
And a side of the guitar was chipped.
And the luthier, apparently, used the same type a wood and replaced the top and a chipped side.
The guitar looks a little bit beat up but playability is still good and the sound, well, I don't really really know, but it sounds good.

If you look at the picture, the scratch on back and side is visible.

Its still Taylor 714ce, and its going for cheap.

It was initially priced at 750.
Brought it down to $700.
I'll negotiate a little bit more.
Attachments:
00g0g_bOmlUVI7AT5_600x450.jpg
most of a guitar's tone comes from the top and the bracing. since these were all replaced, chances aren't too good that this has the original taylor sound. it's also going to be very hard to sell this guitar if you decide not to keep it. i wouldn't buy it, but if you are thinking about it, i'd take stepchildusmc's advice and take it to a qualified luthier. i also 100% agree with him that i wouldn't go above $500.

i know it seems tempting to own a taylor 714ce, but the e part isn't working, the top and bracing aren't taylor. those are a lot of what makes people pay what they do for that guitar. having the same top wood? that would be sitka spruce. i've played literally thousands of guitars over the years, and more had sitka spruce tops than any other wood. some sounded okay, some sounded good, some sounded amazing, and some sounded terrible; in fact, a couple of the worst-sounding guitars i've ever played had sitka tops.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
for $700, you can get a Taylor Mohogany GS mini and a yamaha fg700s.
with the top on that having been replaced and the original braces gone. it probably sounds just like the fg700s. $500 will get you a fantastic sounding NEW Taylor in that GS mini($400 if you know where to look).
umm... negotiate a LOT more!
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Last edited by stepchildusmc at Jul 24, 2013,
i love the GS mini - more than a lot of larger guitars. sounds great, is lots of fun. you could also get a taylor 114e brand spanking new with a warranty for the same money, and it will have the taylor top end sparkle and working electronics. or you could get a good condition 114ce for around $650.

and there are other brands that offer great guitars that give better value. you could get an all solid epiphone masterbilt EF-500RCCE for $700 if you wait for a holiday sale and buy in store. it sounds good and is similar in size to taylor's GAs.
Quote by Skeet UK