I've never played bass before, but I really want to learn how to slap guitar because of Guthrie Govan. The thing is that I can't figure out how to slap notes on the D and G strings.

On the E and A strings the notes are clear when I slap them, but higher up, you can't even hear them on the D and G strings, no matter how hard the "slap" sound is.

If it helps, I'm using a Telecaster and a Marshall MG100HDFX, with no pedals, Fender Super Bullet .09. I want to start technique by doing Classical Thump runs, but I cannot even sound the third note (G of D string) by doing a thumb slap. Even if I go to the pinch harmonic spot to slap, I cannot hear the note but I hear a very faint harmonic.

Also, is slapping with the outer palm of your hand below your pinky a legit technique? It seems to make the most pronounced slaps for me.
Are you seriously slapping an electric guitar? The bass is usually used for slap because of its heavy and fat strings. Thin strings (such as an e. guitar's G and D) sound very weak when slapped. Hell, even bass' D and G sound weaker than E, A, so they are oftener popped, not slapped. I'm not saying it's impossible to slap an electric, but you need thicker strings. Tosin Abasi does it on a 8 string (with its 2 low thick strings).
Quote by Zaqq
Are you seriously slapping an electric guitar? The bass is usually used for slap because of its heavy and fat strings. Thin strings (such as an e. guitar's G and D) sound very weak when slapped. Hell, even bass' D and G sound weaker than E, A, so they are oftener popped, not slapped. I'm not saying it's impossible to slap an electric, but you need thicker strings. Tosin Abasi does it on a 8 string (with its 2 low thick strings).

Juat wondering, has anyone at all played Classical Thump on electric guitar without popping every string?

If youre wondering why I want to slap, its because a while ago I saw this guy slapping what I remember as a rainbow superstrat on youtube (forgot video) to a funk backing track, and it was the coolest thing ever
Last edited by ch1ng_chung at Jul 24, 2013,
rainbow super strat sounds alot like regi wooten.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Jul 24, 2013,
Oh, I actually checked Guthrie Govan, and he's super cool. How about a compressor, then?