So i'm going to be heading up to a pawn shop with some good deals this weekend and I hope to be coming home with a cheap strat or LP type guitar. Honestly i'll take whatever I can get a good deal on as long as it feels good.

What would you reccomend for electronics upgrades? new pickups are a given and i'm not sure if i want to go all out and get something like BKP or just stick with a SD or dimarzio. I'm open to suggestions. What else should i consider upgrading in the guitar to turn it into a pretty good guitar?

Current gear is schecter c1 hellraiser, (the new one is going to be purposed for a punk/rock type of thing)

using a VHT special 6 ultra, ibanez ts9, tc hall of fame, mxr phase 90, mxr noise clamp, crybaby 535q and tc polytune.

I'd like reccomendations for either HH or HSS set ups because I dont really know what i'm going to get. I want it to be suitable for a wide variety of genres but mostly a punk/rock as well as really smooth and chimey clean stuff in the neck position
Well Duncan and Dimarzio are a solid choice. But if it is a cheapo GFS pickups are pretty good and average $30 a pickup. I have actually replaced a Dimarzio Super Distortion with a GFS Fat Pat that sounds better IMO.

www.guitarfetish.com

This is the GFS site and they have good locking tuners for $30 a set. I have ordered lots of parts and pickups from them and everything has been good quality.

Hell their guitars are a great value also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You don't even know what you're buying but want new pickups.
Also you'd rather get a cheap guitar to upgrade than a better guitar that doesn't need upgrades.

Think about what's wrong with that.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Personally, I'd just get a set of cheap pickups if you dont like the ones in whatever you buy. I don't really see the point in putting great pickups in cheap wood
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
A cheap guitar from a pawn shop doesn't necessarily mean crap wood.

For punk, generally speaking, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders for the single coils and something like a SD Pearly Gates for the humbucker (ie a slightly hotter PAF type of thing.) But really, wait until you get the guitar and then come back.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
When I think pop punk, I think JB.

I also think Marshall DSLs and Mesa Single Rectifiers.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by JesusCrisp
You don't even know what you're buying but want new pickups.
Also you'd rather get a cheap guitar to upgrade than a better guitar that doesn't need upgrades.

Think about what's wrong with that.

Because I'm not going to strip a nice guitar and try and paint it and put new everything in it and risk ruining it. If I spend $50 on a guitar and drop a nice set of pickups in there, paint it myself, and make it my own, i'll leave with a little better feeling knowing its my own handywork than just buying it as is off the shelf. I like projects. I'd rather put the $300 into this than however much into something new