Hey guys, I've got a nice Fender Super Sonic 60 amp. I've got the dirt channel so that gain 1 is at noon and gain 2 is at 3 o clock. This gives me a nice light/med. distortion. The problem is that when I engage my Big Muff Pi the sound isn't great.

However, when I kick over to the bassman clean channel my Big Muff sounds pretty great. The problem then is when I want to go from light/med. distortion to Big Muff sound. I simply don't have enough feet to hit all the switches.

So can you guys tell me whats wrong or recommend me some kind of light distortion pedal for my clean channel or better yet a good fuzz/heavy dist. pedal that would still sound alright with my dirt channel on.
Quote by Apollo1449
Hey guys, I've got a nice Fender Super Sonic 60 amp. I've got the dirt channel so that gain 1 is at noon and gain 2 is at 3 o clock. This gives me a nice light/med. distortion. The problem is that when I engage my Big Muff Pi the sound isn't great.

However, when I kick over to the bassman clean channel my Big Muff sounds pretty great. The problem then is when I want to go from light/med. distortion to Big Muff sound. I simply don't have enough feet to hit all the switches.

So can you guys tell me whats wrong or recommend me some kind of light distortion pedal for my clean channel or better yet a good fuzz/heavy dist. pedal that would still sound alright with my dirt channel on.

whats wrong? too much distortion. all that clipping and distortion is turning your tone into atonal soupy noise. try turning down the gain on the muff, i tend to have my distortion settings much lower when chaining distortion effects into each other.

i tend to run a boost and an OD and then run my fuzz as the last distortion pedal in that chain, i like the tone better (some people like the exact opposite and chain their fuzz into their OD, etc). so try running your fuzz in the FX loop, this will place the fuzz after your distortion on the amp and may sound more pleasing to you.

you mentioned another option: pedals. if the two problems above won't help then you can try getting an OD pedal (timmy, TS9, bad monkey, klon, etc) and run that in combination with your muff. i am afraid any other 'heavy gain' pedal is going to meet similar complications as your muff so i don't know what to recommend for that.

the other more expensive option is a complex switching system, something like a defeatable midi controlled effects loop system used in conjunction with something like mini amp gizmo (midi controlled channel switcher) can do all that complex switching with one button.

there are even multi effects setups that have all that looping and switching stuff built in, you can run pedals in loops on the board and control the channels of your amp through the same board and then you just make a patch that changes the whole chain. the first one to come to mind is the TC Electronic G System, but i think the newest digitech (and maybe line 6) devices can do all that too.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 23, 2013,
Damn that is an informative answer, thanks. I'll mess around with the fx loop and my Big Muff settings. I have a bad monkey, the only problem is that it doesn't quite do enough on the clean channel. It just doesn't have enough bite to it, otherwise the clean, bad monkey, big muff option would be perfect.