Page 1 of 2
Are people who are only childs at a disadvantage or advantage compared to people with siblings?

My housemate who is an only child seems ridiculously spoiled. She doesn't eat vegetables, doesn't like sauce, pretty much exclusive dines on steak and chips. Her parents come over to clean her room every 6 weeks, she refuses to make phone calls, and she's really aspie over the cheese she eats (will only eat Cathedral City cheddar, and NO OTHER).

Or is this just an extreme case and whether you're an only child doesn't matter if you come out all socially weird?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
She just sounds like a spoiled bitch. Even if I was an only child and tried to get my parents to do all that they'd smack me.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
College taught me that people without siblings don't understand personal boundaries or not taking others' belongings well.

I think the case with that girl is just that she was sheltered and spoiled.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44
College taught me that people without siblings don't understand personal boundaries or not taking others' belongings well.

I think the case with that girl is just that she was sheltered and spoiled.

She always uses my bowls to microwave cheese in instead of her own which pisses me off sometimes and puts entire saucepans in the dishwasher which is a pet hate of mine.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I have siblings but never lived with them, so I was pretty much raised as an only child. The money and privileges are nice and I've never really had social problems so
? I know 3 friends who're only children: one does high profile band interviews and plays semi-pro rugby, one is a computer programmer, audio engineer and musician AND is buying into a music studio this year and the other is a decorated army engineer. They're all like, 21 as well.

Makes me feel mega inadequate too.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Siblings are annoying and good
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I'm an only child and I'm a lazy **** up so there may be some correlation. But she sounds like a spoiled bitch and she probably needs a slap.
i'm an only child and affka;laer;vjarkgj
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Only children tend to act a bit older, and similar to first children, though they do tend to have somewhat diminished social skills, and in my experience they either have parents that put too much pressure on them, or parents that spoil them too much leading to many people thinking they are a little strange
My housemate who is an only child seems ridiculously spoiled. She doesn't eat vegetables, doesn't like sauce, pretty much exclusive dines on steak and chips. Her parents come over to clean her room every 6 weeks, she refuses to make phone calls, and she's really aspie over the cheese she eats (will only eat Cathedral City cheddar, and NO OTHER).

Other than her parents cleaning her room I don't see a problem with any of this, especially with the vegetables and not making phonecalls thing (I hate talking on the phone). Don't really see how any of it relates to being a single child either.

In terms of advantages and disadvantages, well yea, there are some.
My family has always been pretty short on money and it has been split between 3 children since I was 8 years old and my 2 siblings where born. I didn't always get what I wanted and had to find other ways of making income. I used to go mowing lawns in the summer and shovel snow if it snowed in winter (it never did) if I ever wanted to buy something nice, like, I dunno, a guitar.
In my case, I've always known the value of money and the value of a hard days work since I was just a kid. I was never forced to do it, I did it because I wanted things and I think it made me appreciate positions and money in the long run. Most only children get everything handed to them on a plate and have no concept of money and value nothing. Just look at how many single children have some kind of musical instrument (usually a pretty nice one too) that they have never touched because they lost interest in it after a week. It's probably the thing that kept me learning guitar, I had to work hard to buy that piece of crap, no brand, badly made guitar (that I still love and cherish).

I know this was pretty common for the kids around my area. There where some single children that also came from a 'well off family' and they where total ass-hats, flaunting what there parents bought them 'just because'.

Most kids with brothers and sisters tend to have a lot more of an attention span aswell. Usually a lot better at sharing, including others, more aware of other people and their feelings and a lot of other things because it's something they are aware of all the time, especially if the siblings are younger. Most single children I've known usually seem to be a lot more self concerned and annoying...This guy at work, no brothers and sisters...Thinks everybody NEEDS to listen to him and always in my personal space...eugh...

I dunno, it's probably biased from me but I think people with siblings are a lot better off in a lot of ways in the long run compared to single children, especially if moneys tight because of the parents having multiple kids. The only upside I can see to being an only child is more presents for you but eh, I would rather be a decent human being than be showed with gifts till I leave home and turn out to be an asshat.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by JayT44

Sometimes siblings struggle with this too.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
in terms of getting more things and your family being in a slightly better financial situation being an only child is probably better.

in terms of lessened probability of growing up a spoiled little ****?

better to have a sibling.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I have 5 siblings and what it's made me realize is that family means nothing except a bloodline. Like, they are people we force ourselves to do stuff with even if we have nothing in common with those people.

But yeah, what's weird is that all of the kids in my family are at least a tad bit spoiled but that has to do with our mother not ever really disciplining us.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Bad Kharmel
Only children tend to act a bit older, and similar to first children, though they do tend to have somewhat diminished social skills, and in my experience they either have parents that put too much pressure on them, or parents that spoil them too much leading to many people thinking they are a little strange

This, also only children seem to be alot less careful with other's stuff and don't get out of your face that easily (ie they're like duct tape)
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Quote by blake1221
I think George Carlin is generally pretty funny, but I've always found him less of a comedian and more of just someone who preaches with a few jokes.

Same applies to Bill Hicks. They're still entertaining, even if they don't make me laugh.
Quote by sashki
Same applies to Bill Hicks. They're still entertaining, even if they don't make me laugh.

True, and they really are. I'm still not quite sure how they always top "best comedian" lists, though.
Only if they have weak parents. Strong parents wouldn't care that that's their only child; they'd still raise it right. However a single mother with an only child will do anything to make their kid happy, and he knows it. But she doesn't think much of her child pulling one over her, because that's her one and only.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by EndTheRapture51
My housemate who is an only child seems ridiculously spoiled. She doesn't eat vegetables, doesn't like sauce, pretty much exclusive dines on steak and chips.

She doesn't like nondescript sauce? Burn the witch.
Last edited by AmalgamOfMeat at Jul 23, 2013,
Oh wow, I actually just read the OP. What the **** does not liking vegetables and sauce (gravy?) have to do with being an only child?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Oh wow, I actually just read the OP. What the **** does not liking vegetables and sauce (gravy?) have to do with being an only child?

Being a picky eater is a symbol of immaturity in popular culture.
I'm an only child and I don't think I'm spoiled and my social skills are okay my parents are more indulgent than others but it's totally inaccurate to say that money is not an issue, I know that I cant expect everything to go my way all the time, and they expect me to fund whatever they want to do in retirement in return. I highly doubt that having siblings wouldve changed me much. There are just as many people with siblings who act like the girl in the OP.

The only bad thing I can think of is that my parents are way too overprotective of me. Partly due to culture and partly due to being an only child in general.

also I see a few posts saying that only children don't respect boundaries etc. I am a bit clingy but respecting boundaries is like the only thing I'm good at lol
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jul 23, 2013,
Quote by guitarxo
I'm an only child and I don't think I'm spoiled and my social skills are okay my parents are more indulgent than others but it's totally inaccurate to say that money is not an issue, I know that I cant expect everything to go my way all the time, and they expect me to fund whatever they want to do in retirement in return. I highly doubt that having siblings wouldve changed me much. There are just as many people with siblings who act like the girl in the OP.

The only bad thing I can think of is that my parents are way too overprotective of me. Partly due to culture and partly due to being an only child in general.

Would you have wanted siblings?

I'm so glad I have siblings. Although it's kind of sad, now that we all get along all the time we hardly see each other. I suppose there's a reason for that though.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by WCPhils

Upon her parents' realization that they can only spawn vegetable-hating, sauce-hating subhumans, they made the decision (as the bible commands) to stop spreading their demon seed, hence the correlation to only-child-ness.
Personally, I am an only child, and have been so for nearly eighteen years. Now don't get me wrong, I will be the first to admit that I was spoiled to no end, but at the same time I feel as though getting my parents full attention benefited me more than if I had a sibling. Then again my mother had no problems hurting my feelings, or saying no. I feel as though the actual parenting comes into play with the sauce-hating, vegetable-despising person that the aforementioned person became, not the fact that she was an only child.
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Would you have wanted siblings?

I'm so glad I have siblings. Although it's kind of sad, now that we all get along all the time we hardly see each other. I suppose there's a reason for that though.

I don't know. Yes because my parents would be less overprotective, and that would make a huge difference. I don't like have a lot of attention focused on me, it feels weird and makes me nauseous. And one of them might be someone I get along with (I'm not great with my parents) and it would change the whole family dynamic to something better. But it could also get worse.

No because I like being on my own in quiet places. I have a pseudosibling who is actually a younger cousin but she lived with us for a while due to family issues and she's quite nice, but it convinced me that I'd never want a sibling. I'm happy the way I am now I guess, well not really but meh

At least you get along with them now right? also if you saw them all the time you might not like them as much maybe
cat
I have an older brother but it was kind of like being an only child considering he was starting university when I was born. It was chill though, he was around in the summers and moved back in a bit when he got his degree. Way better than having brothers around your age or being an only child though. It was kind of like having a second dad, only he's your brother so it doesn't suck. He's the reason I wasn't much of a tool as a kid and really like Pavement. Just gives you all sorts of knowledge like a parent except in the important shit that it would be awkward for parents to give their kids. Listen to this album, don't fuck with pills/powder, this is how you open a beer with a lighter, etc etc. Although if he was a lame dude it probably wouldn't be as good.

I don't think being an only child is that bad though. If anything it forces you to become better friends with ppl yr own age. My best friend is an only child and I didn't have a brother my age but we are like brothers. & i have a brother so you cant pull any bs on me there lol.

so yeah, basically i think it is pretty lazy to blame failings in ppl on whether or not they were an only child. has much more to do with their parents, themselves, their environment and just how they were raised. shitty ppl are gonna be shitty with or without siblings.
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Jul 23, 2013,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Are people who are only childs at a disadvantage or advantage compared to people with siblings?

They tend to be a bit spoiled in my experience.

I'm the youngest of three sons.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Quote by guitarxo
I don't know. Yes because my parents would be less overprotective, and that would make a huge difference. I don't like have a lot of attention focused on me, it feels weird and makes me nauseous. And one of them might be someone I get along with (I'm not great with my parents) and it would change the whole family dynamic to something better. But it could also get worse.

No because I like being on my own in quiet places. I have a pseudosibling who is actually a younger cousin but she lived with us for a while due to family issues and she's quite nice, but it convinced me that I'd never want a sibling. I'm happy the way I am now I guess, well not really but meh

At least you get along with them now right? also if you saw them all the time you might not like them as much maybe

I dunno, my mom is ridiculously overprotective and I'm the last of 3 children. Don't assume that would make a big difference. As for the quiet places thing, I was kind of blessed in having half-brothers that weren't here half the time. I got to see them a lot and have some form of me-time.

And yeah that's what I was saying. The reason I get along so well now is probably because they aren't around too much and I don't get really sick of them. But it actually makes me miss them too.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Its not an "only child" thing. Its a "children of parents who pander to the child's every whim" thing. The parent(s) can't stand to see their child in the least bit of discomfort or the slightest bit unhappy so they basically either do everything for the child or try to bubble-wrap the world for them. The kids end up not being able to do a damned thing without help and validation from mommy or daddy.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
I don't think that her issues really boil down to being an only child, I'm the eldest of three and I also hate vegetables even though I have been forced to eat them my entire life, furthermore my sisters sound slobish like her even though they have been made countless times to clean etc, so while being an only child may have exacerbated those issues it was not the cause per se.
I'M FAT!!!!
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Well... it sounds to me like you hate your housemate because of her dietary preferences and phone habits.

:/

You're weird.

(the parents cleaning her room is kind of strange, though. how old is she?)

Quote by link no1

Most single children I've known usually seem to be a lot more self concerned and annoying...This guy at work, no brothers and sisters...Thinks everybody NEEDS to listen to him and always in my personal space...eugh...

x10000000. I've noticed this too.

Quote by Thrashtastic15
shitty ppl are gonna be shitty with or without siblings.
sigless
Page 1 of 2