D-DU D-DU D-DU

That's how you'd usually do it
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
D-DU D-DU D-DU

That's how you'd usually do it

Oh yeah thanks man. I always tried DUDUDUDU but this sounds way better. Peace.
I use DUD but whatever sounds best.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I use DUD but whatever sounds best.
+1

For fast chugs, there's no way you can pull off D-D-U, IMO. But I guess that my idea of chugs are more along the lines that riff after the opening in Raining Blood.

Edit -- NVM, we're working on different definitions here. Sorry, I took gallops to mean chugs.

Yes, D-DU D-DU is how I do it as well.
Last edited by ExDementia at Jul 23, 2013,
Start of with DDUD and continue into a stream of DUD, at the beggining of each bar start with DDUD and again continue into DUD.

This if you want to get the Maiden-esque style gallop. If you're looking for the Metallica style relentless 16ths then just go with DUD from start to finish.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Quote by bondmorkret
The plectrum should always go down-up-down, with a 16th note rest after the last down. Practice on an open string, nice and slow

That's actually a reverse gallop.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
That's actually a reverse gallop.

The sixteenth note rest is what makes it weird. In 4/4 you wouldn't have even measures.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Just do it really slow first, then do it slightly less slow, then do it slow, then don't do it really slow anymore, then do it at mid temp, then do it a bit faster than mid tempo, then do it a little less than fast, then do it fast, then do it really fast, and then do it mindbogglingly fast.
No but seriously, for starters just do 3 alternate picks (down, up, down), and then speed them up until you can do really fast. It's not really hard, I could easily gallop after about half a year of semi-serious electric guitar playing. If you just practice it constantly you could probably get it really fast in a month or so.
Also a good song to practice galloping is Decapitated's Spheres of Madness. The main riff is made up exclusively of triple gallops, quadruple gallops and quintuple gallops. If you're not into death metal just check out the tab on Songsterr or something.
Last edited by chaplainDMK at Jul 28, 2013,
DU! DU HAST! DU HAST MICH!!! DU HAST MICH!!! DU HAST MICH GEFRAGT! DU HAST MICH GEFRAGT! DU HAST MICH GEFRAGT UND ICH HAD NICHT GESAGT!!!

Watch some tutorials on YouTube; or listen to Du Hast and play along... (It comes naturally) I am pretty sure that Du Hast uses plenty of galloping... I would recommend looking at the tabs to the song you're trying to learn, and play with that song, the rest will come to you.. (Once you're in the groove with the song)

I know that much, because I've played songs totally wrong, and I still catch on rhythm wise...
Rock N' Roll isn't just a genre of music. It's a way of life. If you fall; get the hell up, brush off, and keep rockin!
Last edited by RoKHED at Jul 30, 2013,
Quote by RoKHED

Watch some tutorials on YouTube; or listen to Du Hast and play along... (It comes naturally) I THINK that's what galloping is... If not, do NOT get pissed at me! Trying to help here...

Really, there's no point in giving advice if you're not even sure if it's correct.
baab
Quote by sacamano79

This is the correct way.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
The hell with what I said... 1930's footage is always right...
Rock N' Roll isn't just a genre of music. It's a way of life. If you fall; get the hell up, brush off, and keep rockin!