Page 1 of 2
Can I quit playing bass? I've been playing for 3 years and over the past year haven't improved at all. I suck at every technique (probably doing them wrong as well) and can't play the style of music I want to play. I've mentioned quitting to other people and they've all pretty much said that I shouldn't cause it's the only thing going for me. Which they are totally right. I play bass on my Church's praise and worship team, don't have a job, and don't go to college. It's literally the only thing I have going for me because I have no other skills but really I don't have any bass skills either.

Should I quit the thing that the majority of my life is based around because I suck at it and don't enjoy it? The only reason I haven't is because I have no idea where that'd leave me.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quit and go to college, maybe a job.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Why not get back into education and focus on getting better at the bass in your spare time? Or drop the bass completely but still do the first bit?
If you don't like it then don't base the majority of your life around it, try to get a job
I don't know what else I could get going for me though. There's nothing I really enjoy.
Get an education definitely. You need to know how to do something to survive in this world. But try again to do it when you're done.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
What will an education do for me? Get me a degree that won't get me a job? That'll help.
Quote by Rawshik
I don't know what else I could get going for me though. There's nothing I really enjoy.

this makes you an ideal candidate for getting more education
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
yeah just put the bass down..

Maybe if you feel like it pick it up later? I mean no one is forcing you to play 24/7
Quote by Rawshik
What will an education do for me? Get me a degree that won't get me a job? That'll help.

Why wouldn't it?
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Rawshik

You can't rely on pessimism and assumption in disregarding all education available to you.
Also if I do quit playing bass, I'd be quitting the praise and worship team and therefore my mom would kick me out.
Quote by darkcheef
If you don't like it then don't bass the majority of your life around it, try to get a job

ftfy
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
This might sound odd on a guitar website, but just because you aren't improving doesn't mean you have to stop playing as long as you enjoy it. After about 6 or 7 years of playing for fun and in local bands I finally noticed that I quit getting better. I had stopped challenging myself, but I was still enjoying playing and I was still playing every day. Just recently I finally started to sit down and force myself to learn new and challenging things.

Moving on, you should get some skill sets. Go to school, take up another hobby. But who says that your bass has to be set aside entirely? Plenty of people only play every now and again.

And don't be so negative about getting a degree. Just don't get one in something stupid and go to an affordable school. Or go to trade school. Then your education will be for a specific job.
Quote by Rawshik

What will playing bass do for you? At least with an education you're better qualified to be hired for a job, you're more likely to be hired, and you're more likely to make more money.

Quote by Rawshik
Also if I do quit playing bass, I'd be quitting the praise and worship team and therefore my mom would kick me out.

Your mother would rather kick you out than let you go secure a future for yourself? You need to sit down and have a long talk with her about her priorities and how they're affecting your well being.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Get some new skills, you know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...
Quote by chev311e
Get some new skills, you know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...

Cause girls only like guys who have skills...
major in a science field, it pretty much guarantees a job and a high salary. Plus it's easily the best subject in school.
No, you can't. Sory, but you can't just stop playing bass because you want to. You HAVE to keep playing
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by Rawshik

I don't know man, you seem to be pretty good at trying really hard to make yourself feel like dick.

So, you know, you've got that going for you.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Sounds like you can't do anything. I bet you can't even quit the bass. Just get high and watch movies.
I dont think its about being "good" at an instrument. Yeah, it nice to be good and all, but that isnt what music is about. Music is supposed to make you happy, so if playing music is a hobby of yours, do it. Id go to school as well and get a job. Im a college student, have a job, and I play music every day. Im not the best, but I think Im pretty good.

Dont quit because you "arent good". That isnt a reason to quit. If it makes you happy, play. If it doesnt, then there is no point in playing.
Everyone hits plateaus man, don't worry about it. What you do have to do is not let it get to you, and trudge through the plateau.

Your not going to improve if you don't actively try though. It sounds like you are aware of your flaws with your bass playing, yet you are not willing to correct them? I would start with that. Look at your bass playing, analyze it, and see where you are going wrong.

You mentioned that you don't enjoy it anymore. Maybe it is time to move on then. If you're not having fun playing the bass, then don't force yourself, but be aware that nothing in life is easy, and sometimes you just have to hang on a bit longer, but it's totally worth it.

The bigger issue I see with you though is that you don't seem very motivated at all, or have any confidence in yourself. Why is that?
trade religion for science and start an artsy band where you dont actually play anything on the bass
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
if you don't enjoy it, quit. if you can't get a job, make yourself employable. move away from home. go to college. stop being a negative cuntbag for starters.
Quote by Rawshik

Yeah, devoting your attentions to badly playing bass in a worship band is a much better plan for the future.
The angst is strong with this one
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Just because you also frequent the bass forum, I'm not going to let up on you.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself. The only one holding you back is YOU. You've become comfortable in doing sweet bugger all. You haven't got any other skills or talents? So I'm assuming you've gone and tried everything? No? Then get off the internet, get off your ass and DO SOMETHING.

What will studying for a degree get you? Qualifications. Sure, you may not get a job pertaining to that qualification, but the other two parts help tremendously- networking and life experience. Part of your problem is that you seem to only see the negative in things. Stop doing that, it makes you a little bitch. Nothing irks me more than someone who whines about something without doing something to change it. There's so much you can do and try these days. It's the ONLY way you'll find if you have a skill, talent, or like for something.

The other part of the problem is being awkwardly comfortable with what you're doing. You don't enjoy it, but you're doing it anyway because it's routine. This I have been guilty of, and I took the plunge and quit my job (there's other factors involved, but that's besides the point). I got comfortable and was whining about my job. I hated it everything about it, beyond the general 'I dislike my job' feels that everyone has (part of the aforementioned reason involves probably taking old employer to court). I got my name and CV out there, and now I'm getting headhunted because I'M DOING SOMETHING.

DO SOMETHING.
Quote by Rawshik

That sucks. I stopped playing bass in a worship group about a year ago. Guess I was in a similar situation, had nothing much else going for me which was depressing in itself.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
There must be something else you are good at, it sounds like you just haven't found it yet. If you want to quit, then quit, if you want to improve, practice more. College would be a good idea if it is something you actually want to do and find something to study that you will like, otherwise you won't enjoy it much.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Page 1 of 2