Hey guys I just got Superior Drummer and Reaper on my computer. So far, I've figured out how to get the VST plugin to work so I can open Superior drummer in Reaper.. The only thing is.. I can't figure out how to record a drum track. Is it possible to set key bindings on my laptop to where I can press a key and it will trigger the kick pedal for example? If not, What kind of midi device should I be using and how would I even start recording a sample?

Noob question but ya gotta start somewhere ya know?
If you can work out which buttons to press reaper does have a virtual MIDI keyboard that uses your regular computer keyboard, but as Cavalcade said it's probably easier to either use the built in MIDI editor.

Otherwise you can do what I do and write it all out in Hydrogen Drum Machine and then export the MIDI and use that.
I agree completely with the above.

But if you are wanting a controller, for whatever reason, electronic drum kits are obviously the best if you can play. Drum pads are pretty good; and some can be had fairly cheap. Both are much more powerful than using a keyboard imo, although a midi keyboard does work.

Whether reaper can use the computer keyboard as a midi controller is unknown to me. I know logic can; so it might be possible.
RIP Gooze

cats
Can you guys explain the process y'all mentioned using guitar pro. I have guitar pro 5, or even that other program. I don't play drums but I have some fairly good ideas I've picked up by listening to the drums in songs that I like.
I'm not one of those anti-piracy white knights, but if you don't understand something this crucial. I'm going to assume you didn't pay for Superior.

If so, why not grab a copy of that free Sennheiser drum library instead? That way you'll be able to create tunes that sound just as good, but without the slightest trace of guilt. Whatever your attitude on piracy, you've got to admit it's pointless if something free can do just as good a job.

By the way, Reaper has a very useful built in 'virtual MIDI keyboard' which will do exactly what you described. Set the input of the Superior track to the virtual midi keyboard (all channels), make sure the window is in focus, and then your computer keys will become drum triggers.

Bear in mind that there'll be no dynamics (PC keyboards are a simple on/off switch), so if you want your drums to sound realistic you'll have to go back and mess with the MIDI velocities to make it more human.

Even if you're happy with Superior, that Sennhiser drum VST has a library of really nice Superior-compatible MIDI beats/fills that you might find useful.
Last edited by kyle62 at Jul 24, 2013,
I put the vst plugin for guitar rig 4 into reaper and it didnt have any of my tone presets saved into it, whereas it was already saved in the vst I had in audacity so I just went that route. As soon as i figure out how to save the presets on the reaper vst, I will do it like that.
Well your preset sounds like muddy crap anyway...maybe it's a time to use some new ones?

Recording two guitars, panned hard left and right, will sound loads better, by the way. But it seems like you're happy to ignore everyone's advice anyway.
Do you have any advice for a new preset? I use a noise gate first that goes into a skreamer, equalizer, noise reduction, then I use the citrus amp model. The modules before the amp we're included in a djent preset that I downloaded on this site. I just switched the amp model to citrus because I think it sounds heavier. If you have any advice for the amp settings or EQ/noise gate/noise reduction, I'd be more than happy to listen and try it out.
The signal chain looks fine. Two noise gates means it's definitely geared towards djent; putting a second gate after the boost pedal gives it a sharper cutoff. I usually put a compressor ahead of the boost, but then again, I don't do djent. (Comp adds sustain at the expense of cutoff, so you probably don't want it.)

What it comes down to are the settings themselves, and we can't really help you there. The exact settings will depend on your guitar's pickup response, and the response of the body itself; that, in turn, depends on the scale, the string gauges, the string count, the wood, the tuning system, and basically everything.

But, there's a certain way people get different types of tones. That's what presets are for. They give you something to work off, but then you have to tweak it to match your rig. For djent, if I remember correctly, the EQ is supposed to boost the mids (the range from about 800 to 2000 Hz), so they get more gain, and then there's not a lot of gain at the amp itself. That way, there's not too much fizz (which is caused by distortion). After the amp, most bands scoop the mids to get a more modern metal tone, but by then, the mids are sort of "baked" into the sound.

And Guitar Rig can save and load presets, right? They should work no matter what program (or "host") you're running it in.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Aug 7, 2013,
Dude thank you for the in depth explanation. I definitely need to spend more time on tweaking my preset for my guitar. Yeah I don't know what the problem is for Reaper, when I use the vst it's like the demo mode with no saved presets at all.